Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This idea was somewhat spun off from the thred that 'calico2222' posted about salad dressing. I was making subs for my DH and myself, and asked him if he wanted mayo or Miracle Whip...he proceeded to tell me that he didn't care, that they were the same. They are so not the same!
So I thought I'd take a poll. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so right...they are not the same. I like Miracle Whip and DH likes Mayo.
He has no taste!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mayo if any ... I like REAL food

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mayo deffinately! To me, miracle whip tastes like it's gone bad! I've said it's a miracle anyone likes to eat it! No offense to those of you that do like it!
That's just an oppinion!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mayo all the way!!! There's so many things that I never thought I liked, because my mom always used Miracle Whip in the recipe. That stuff is SO disgusting!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are NOT the same! DH doesn't like Mayo, I do, so we have MWhip. I can eat MW in salads (like tuna, macaroni) but cannot STAND to use it on sandwiches - I have to have mayo on subs.

Funny thing is that at Subway they use mayo and he eats that but won't at home....hmmmm I'll have to question him on that one

So its split in this house

snickers80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will only eat miracle whip on tuna....mayo just ruins it. The opposite goes for hamburgers, you need mayo because miracle whip and ketchup is not a happy mix.

I don't mind mayo....but you gotta have the whip

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like mayo because I think my mom always used miracle whip when I was a kid and I am sick of it. My husband likes miracle whip.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sissy's Mommy

This idea was somewhat spun off from the thred that 'calico2222' posted about salad dressing. I was making subs for my DH and myself, and asked him if he wanted mayo or Miracle Whip...he proceeded to tell me that he didn't care, that they were the same. They are so not the same!
So I thought I'd take a poll. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?
Actually, they are the same. Both start out with a raw egg, 1 cup of oil, salt and pepper and a bit of lemon juice.

Miracle Whip adds sugar and some other seasonings but the core is the same.

Mayo is the base for several things, 2 of which:

1. tarter sauce (add mayo + relish)
2. Thousand Island Dressing (Mayo + Relish + Ketchup)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting poll.

I am a Mayo woman.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I like both but certain things taste better with mayo and others with miracle whip. Mayo is best for sandwiches and baking recipes that call for it. However I find that the acidity of Miracle Whip taste better in salad recipes. If I use mayo when I am making pasta or potato salad I always add a bit of lemon juice, when I use Miracle whip I find I don't have to.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use miracle whip for tuna salad and chicken salad, but for sandwiches I use mayo. Unless it is a fresh turkey sandwich made with thanksgiving leftovers..then it has to be Miracle Whip with lots of salt and pepper. I think that is more a nostalgic thing though...that's how mom always made them. But mayo just isn't the same then.

Hubby hates mayo so we have both.