RIP mittens the bunny

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old cousin is a total brat and spoiled. She abuses animals but just asks for more and her mom gets her whatever pet she wants. I had to work with her cat for 2 days to get used to me. He hisses because my cousin hits him and yells in his face. She gets way to rough with him. Her pets are never fed or cleaned so they are very stinky and mean. She opened her dog's mouth open and shoved bugs down the poor puppy's throat and sits on her turtle and her mom thinks its funny! I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh. I love her and all, but I'm pretty sensitive about animals. This is the worst abuse yet though, with her bunny. Bunnies are not for young hyper children. I used to have 2 and they are delicate animals that are very easily shocked. But no, my Aunt doesn't care.

My cousin adopted the bunny from the shelter, a black and white 2 year old named Mittens. She and her two friends (both boys ages 5 + 7) were over and they decided to play CETCH with the bunny. My aunt was right there watching!! What kind of poor parenting is that??? Animals are not toys to through around!! They "accidently" through her at a wall in the house while playing cetch with her. The poor thing was so shocked that she died a day later. Yes, she had to suffer. She sat there shaking until she finally died. I told my aunt that this is ridicioulous and guess what her response was!
"But they're just so cute, and they were having so much fun I couldn't get mad!"
Ya, having fun murdering a bunny!! And then she tells me it was her favorite pet!!! I'm sorry but I just heard this story and I need to let my anger out.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is absolutely terrible! I don't even want to picture what that poor bunnies last days were like...
I would seriously consider contacting the shelter she got the rabbit from to make sure they knew what happened and hopefully would not let her adopt aother animal from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

That is absolutely terrible! I don't even want to picture what that poor bunnies last days were like...
I would seriously consider contacting the shelter she got the rabbit from to make sure they knew what happened and hopefully would not let her adopt aother animal from them.
Yes, after my cousin was screaming because her bunny died (she killed it!) my aunt called the shelter to ask if they had another bunny in. They said, "Well what about the one you just adopted?" And my aunt told her the story of the bunny's death including how her child had abused it. They said they had no more bunnies in, but I think they were lying. Who would give another one to her?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that just breaks my heart! That entire family needs to go for therapy, or something...starting with the mother. I know she is your aunt and you love her, but if the kids don't get reprimanded for that kind of action it is the mother's fault.

When I was about that age, I had goldfish. I used to pick them up in my hand because I liked the flopping feeling. Once they stopped flopping, I would get bored and put them back in the water. I didn't realize they needed to be in the water to live. My mom caught me doing that once, and MAN did I get it!

Then she explained to me that water is to fish like air is to humans. I still really didn't understand it, but I knew I shouldn't pick up the fish. They weren't meant to be petted, just watched. I still feel bad about that to this day.

Is she your aunt on your mom's or dad's side? Could one of them talk to her and explain that animals aren't toys that can be thrown against a wall, or force fed bugs?

I'm so glad they didn't let her get another bunny.

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, that just breaks my heart! That entire family needs to go for therapy, or something...starting with the mother. I know she is your aunt and you love her, but if the kids don't get reprimanded for that kind of action it is the mother's fault.

When I was about that age, I had goldfish. I used to pick them up in my hand because I liked the flopping feeling. Once they stopped flopping, I would get bored and put them back in the water. I didn't realize they needed to be in the water to live. My mom caught me doing that once, and MAN did I get it!

Then she explained to me that water is to fish like air is to humans. I still really didn't understand it, but I knew I shouldn't pick up the fish. They weren't meant to be petted, just watched. I still feel bad about that to this day.

Is she your aunt on your mom's or dad's side? Could one of them talk to her and explain that animals aren't toys that can be thrown against a wall, or force fed bugs?

I'm so glad they didn't let her get another bunny.
She's my mom's little sister. She's single, and my cousin is her only child. She has never diciplined her daughter EVER. We are not going to see them for a long time because of rude my cousin is to adults. She also thinks that's funny.

I'm glad your mom told you how to take care of animals. The same thing happened to me, with my old Himalayan kitty, Snowball. I was rough with him the first couple of days after we adopted him but my mom explained to me how cats need their space.

My other Aunt tried explaining to her how bunnies are not for young children and so did her friend. My aunt listens to no one. She won't let anyone give her any advice. Now Martina (my cousin) wants a mouse, and I think I know where that poor baby is headed... neither Martina or my aunt are even animal lovers. I know I can't walk past Moonlight without wanting to cuddle him and kiss him all over or atleast without saying hi. My aunt will walk by and through Sunshine (their kitty) off a table and yell at him. It's so terrible.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just horrible!
Poor bunny

I would report her, family or not...even if it's anonymously.

RIP Mittens

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's just awful! How can you just laugh at a child abusing an animal and causing it's death? And to call the shelter to get another one? *shudder*

I'm going to go give all my bunnies treats now. I'd snuggle them but the furry masters disapprove and demand treats and nose rubs instead.

Fey and Sprite used to be childrens toys too. Sprite still won't let anybody touch her. She loves people but is scared of hands. Fey likes to be petted but flinches when you touch her neck where she would be picked up by the scruff (do not do!). And it's been nearly two years now.

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

That is just horrible!
Poor bunny

I would report her, family or not...even if it's anonymously.

RIP Mittens
Mittens was found as a stray, so poor baby has no one to wait for at the bridge...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know its a relative, but I would be LIVID if I witnessed any of this kind of cruelty and I would call animal control on them for abuse! And I'd probably take away all of the pets whether they tried to stop me or not.

My ex told me (after marriage) about the time he got mad at a cat he and his 1st wife had who was sitting in a bowl on the coffee table. He picked up the cat and threw it against the wall for being in the bowl.

I told him if he EVER touched one of my cats like that, he'd be out the door before he knew it - I get livid and will go after the person who tortures any animal and I'm a witness!