Gum Disease!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the vet. Coco has gum disease. She is only 2 yrs old!

I'm going to start trying to brush her teeth. That should be fun!

Does anyone know if any of the so called "dental treats" (like Greenies) really do any good?

I'm going to see if she will chew on raw bones also. Are chicken wings best? I don't want anything too big, right?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Has anyone ever successfully reversed gum disease in their cat?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh boy I've had just about every flavor of gum disease.

It all depends on what type of gum disease Coco has. Did your vet give you any specifics?

First order is to find the right antibiotic depending on what type of disease it is. Some work better than others depending on what they have.

With Oscar, it was non-specific gingivitus and Zithromax cleared it right up for him. Clavamox didn't help him at all.

For Shep, she had a form of stomatitus that did very well with Anirobe, with an occassional dose of prednisone when it flared up (hers was chronic).

For Stumpy, he has one that one caused by an auto-immune disease that he will have for life.

I've never given any of mine raw bones. I tend to mix an oral care food into their regular dry and that helps a lot. I've not noticed any help from Greenies, but mine sure like them!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be hesitant to give a cat chicken bones ... and I have no experience with the dental type treats. But my Lexus was diagnosed with gingivitis at the age of 18 months and we simply make certain she has a thorough dental cleaning with subgingival scraping every year. So far, we've gotten it under control with antibiotics when needed and the schedule of yearly dental maintenance.

There are also products on the market (you can ask your vet which ones he likes or recommends) to brush your cat's teeth. One of my kitten buyers does this with a Seal Point male she got from me and has done so since he was small - so he is used to it and actually looks forward to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Oh boy I've had just about every flavor of gum disease.

It all depends on what type of gum disease Coco has. Did your vet give you any specifics?

First order is to find the right antibiotic depending on what type of disease it is. Some work better than others depending on what they have.

With Oscar, it was non-specific gingivitus and Zithromax cleared it right up for him. Clavamox didn't help him at all.

For Shep, she had a form of stomatitus that did very well with Anirobe, with an occassional dose of prednisone when it flared up (hers was chronic).

For Stumpy, he has one that one caused by an auto-immune disease that he will have for life.

I've never given any of mine raw bones. I tend to mix an oral care food into their regular dry and that helps a lot. I've not noticed any help from Greenies, but mine sure like them!
I didn't know there were different types. My vet just said "gum disease". Coco's gums are inflammed, does that help identify the type?

My vet didn't even suggest antibiotics. Should she have?

What kind of oral care food do you use?

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Treats don't tend to help a lot. The best thing to do is brushing. However, if you dont do it daily, it's kinda a waste of your time. Ask your vet if he offers a product called oravet. When you get your cats teeth cleaned by the vet, they apply the first application. Then, once a week, you apply this waxy substance to the outside of their top teeth. It coats the teeth and helps prevent build up. Another thing you can try is the vaccine. Its called the Porphyromonas vaccine. Ask your vet for more info as it is somewhat newer, and I dont have all the info on it.

One thing I do want to say is... dont feed your cat chicken bones... They splinter easily and can cause an obstruction or rupture the intestinal tract.

Good luck

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I didn't know there were different types. My vet just said "gum disease". Coco's gums are inflammed, does that help identify the type?

My vet didn't even suggest antibiotics. Should she have?

What kind of oral care food do you use?
Most gum diseases cause some type of inflamation. It might not have been severe enough to be infected so your vet might not have prescribed anything other than a thorough cleaning.

I mixed Science Diet oral care into their food. I know a lot of folks don't like Science Diet (myself included), but the size of the chunks forced them to chew and remove plague. I don't trust the treats.

For chicken bones: cooked bones will splinter and can kill your cat (I lost a cat when I was a child from this). I have heard of some people giving raw chicken bones, but frankly, I would be very leary of doing that.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think that if you keep infections down & do a thorough/regular cleanings you should be able to control it.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses guys! My vet didn't even say anything about cleaning (the vet type). I'll call today and ask if she thinks it is time for that.

Momofmany - Do you use SD t/d? I saw something online about that and it actually looks pretty good. Not as an only food, but as a mix in like you do.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Momofmany - Do you use SD t/d? I saw something online about that and it actually looks pretty good. Not as an only food, but as a mix in like you do.
I just use the SD Oral Care that you can buy on a shelf. If you find something better quality, by all means use it. I mix 20 pounds of regular to 8 pounds of Oral Care in a food bin. It's very convenient to scoop that way, but you do need to wash out the bin from time to time to prevent contamination.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been said that dry food cleans the teeth, not so, ad gimmick to get your $ which in turn gives the vet your $.

Good quality canned food is best. Dry for treats only, not regular feeding.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

It's been said that dry food cleans the teeth, not so, ad gimmick to get your $ which in turn gives the vet your $.

Good quality canned food is best. Dry for treats only, not regular feeding.
I know eating ordinary dry food doesn't "clean" teeth but chewing on bones supposedly does. Part or what "oral care" foods do is try to provide the benefit of bone chewing by using specific shapes and or textures.

What I have read about SD t/d is that it has a "shredded wheat" kind of texture that helps in teeth cleaning.

Momofmany - Does the over the counter SD oral care have that kind of texture?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isnt Coco the one with the need for probiotics??

If so add in some cranberry powder... it reduces bacteria in the mouth...

T/D does work but do to ingrediants I would nt recommend it ... there are some choice s OTC that have "dental health " in them ....

C E T chews can help thou I have only gotten my dog to eat them.. they are usually vet only and have enzymes on them to help with dental health

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Isnt Coco the one with the need for probiotics??
Yup. I'm thinking this might be a consequence of her not getting full nutritional value from her food for the past 12 mos.

If so add in some cranberry powder... it reduces bacteria in the mouth...
Thanks! I'll look into it.

T/D does work but do to ingrediants I would nt recommend it ... there are some choice s OTC that have "dental health " in them ....
I wasn't considering it as a meal food. More like a treat or add in to other food.

C E T chews can help thou I have only gotten my dog to eat them.. they are usually vet only and have enzymes on them to help with dental health
I tried those once and I can't remember why I stopped. I think one or more wouldn't eat them. I'll try them again. I only need Coco to eat them for now.

I'm also thinking of trying freeze dried salmon as after meal cleaning chews. I've given her some before and she loved it. I think I have found some that are a good size and shape for this purpose.