Need Help ASAP Rectal Temp.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know thats kinda a strange title but Ari's babysitter just called and said her temp is 99.6 rectal. But I cant find out anywhere if thats ok or if she needs to go to the doctor. Shes a sick little girl right now. Please reply back soon. Im going nuts!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to assume Air is a human daughter and not a cat....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_body_temperature

Rectal measurements, or measurements taken directly inside the body cavity, are typically about a half degree (C) higher
Personally, I wouldn't really consider 99.6 much of a fever, but you could call and check with a doctor if it helps your peace of mind.

(If Ari is a cat, ignore the above, lol)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The reason I was freaking out was because everything I read says if the baby has a fever of 101 then to call the doctor but it didnt say which way that is to check (mouth, under arm or rectal). And I couldnt find anything that said the difference in degrees between rectal and the other two. I guess I can calm down a bit.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Babies do get fevers. Its more worrisome for an adult to get a high fever than a baby, but to me, over 101 would be serious enough for a doctor visit if it last more than a few hours, or doesn't go down with medication.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
99.6 by rectal temp is not much of a fever, if at all. Alleygirl is right....rectal temps are generally a bit higher than those taken orally or by ear.

How old is Ari and what do you mean by "she's a sick girl". Does she have any other symptoms?

By a general rule, your child should see a doctor if :

The fever is above 101

The fever is accompanied by symptoms such as difficulty breathing, lethargy or unresponsiveness.

The fever does not go down with medications such as childrens' advil/tylenol/motrin.

The fever lasts for more than a couple days

The child is under 3 months of age, in which case any fever at all should mean a doctors visit.

Otherwise, just give lots of fluids. Stay clear of sugary drinks like pop and most juices. Stick to water, watered down juice, pedialyte, etc. Monitor the fever.....you can write it down if you have trouble keeping track. If she's old enough, you can give childrens' motrin or tylenol.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

99.6 by rectal temp is not much of a fever, if at all. Alleygirl is right....rectal temps are generally a bit higher than those taken orally or by ear.

How old is Ari and what do you mean by "she's a sick girl". Does she have any other symptoms?

By a general rule, your child should see a doctor if :

The fever is above 101

The fever is accompanied by symptoms such as difficulty breathing, lethargy or unresponsiveness.

The fever does not go down with medications such as childrens' advil/tylenol/motrin.

The fever lasts for more than a couple days

The child is under 3 months of age, in which case any fever at all should mean a doctors visit.

Otherwise, just give lots of fluids. Stay clear of sugary drinks like pop and most juices. Stick to water, watered down juice, pedialyte, etc. Monitor the fever.....you can write it down if you have trouble keeping track. If she's old enough, you can give childrens' motrin or tylenol.

Good luck!
Ari is 4 months old (almost 5). Has a cold I think. Sneezing, coughing and just feeling rotten.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Ari is 4 months old (almost 5). Has a cold I think. Sneezing, coughing and just feeling rotten.
At almost 5 months, her immune system is more developed (which is why the under 3 months rule) and she should be okay to fight off a cold on her own. Like I said, 99.6 isn't really a high temperature. Just keep a close eye on it in case it spikes.

As long as she isn't having any difficulty breathing (especially when sleeping/laying down), isn't wheezing or having intense coughing fits (where she gets red in the face and short of breath from a prolonged string of coughing) and the temperature doesn't get higher, I think she'll be fine with fluids and rest. Try not to overwipe her runny nose, because it'll get chapped and sore. Vaseline can help that, if it happens.

She's still too young for any over the counter cold or fever remedies, though, so you can't give her anything on your own. If it gets to the point where you feel like she needs some sort of medication to get her through the cold, she'll need to see the doctor.

It sounds like your handling this very well. It can be scary when your baby gets sick. Just trust your instincts and don't panic. Vibes your way. An infant with a cold is no fun for anyone. And, being your first baby (right?), this will be especially nerve-wracking for you. Hope Ari feels better soon.

Edit: I forgot to mention. A humidifyer in her room can help break up some of the congestion.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
99.6 is a normal temp for rectal. Even a oral temp of 99.6 isnt really considered a fever unless its a baby under 3 months.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 boys and I'm not fond (nor were they) of rectal temps.
They do generally run higher then if taken orally or under the arm and it would freak me out and I'd run them to the ER just to be assured it really wasn't that high.

But 99.6 is only a degree higher then normal and not much to worry about. I would re-check it under the arm and if it goes past 100 then take her in..

My oldest son is natually "hot blooded" and on any given time of the day he has a temp of 99.8..