Sad news for our local Zoo

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, on the news this morning I saw the following story...
http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=22722

Our local Zoo is in danger of losing is accreditation and being forced to close due to failed inspections. Unless they can come up w/ the millions it will take to re-hab all the enclosures and rooms for the animals they will most likely be forced to close. I have mixed feelings on this. While I'd hate to see the zoo go I also hate seeing the conditions the animals are living in. Their permanant enclosures (not their display habitats) are dark, musty and WAY outdated. Most are old stained concrete w/ rebar doors and windows. The ventilation is very poor as are general conditions for the animals. It's a real shame.

Anyway, here's the zoo website (which I'd like to add is hosted and back-ended by my husband's company!). http://potawatomizoo.org/ So, if you in the area... go see the animals and your admission could help save the zoo.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats sad.
But yet if its that old and outdated, maybe its better?

I know a zoo that is about 15 miles from me is the same way!! They dont have an admission but man it is so old and I always feel so sorry for the animals. They dont ever seem like they get good care.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they need a fundraiser of some type for help! I think its sad really. i mean, where are the animals going to go if it gets shut down?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is sad
I can't visit but I hope they do get the funding they need. I went to our zoo, the Cleveland zoo on July 4th and even though our zoo is really nice, i still kinda felt bad for the animals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, if they can't get the funding it's probably better for the animals.

Originally Posted by Liza24

they need a fundraiser of some type for help! I think its sad really. i mean, where are the animals going to go if it gets shut down?
They are... on Aug. 24 they are having their 1st annual fund raiser w/ Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, live entertainment and even an auction. It's $75 per person and I'm going to talk to Matt and see if we can't scrape the $$ together to go.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, but when it closes.. where will those animals go? There isn't always a home for zoo animals, sadly.

Not that I don't agree that if the conditions suck it should be closed, though.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

Yes, but when it closes.. where will those animals go? There isn't always a home for zoo animals, sadly.

Not that I don't agree that if the conditions suck it should be closed, though.
I would think they would most likely be transferred to other zoos maybe?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard anything about what will hapen to the animals. I imagine they'd most likely be transfered to the Brookfield Zoo (in Chicagoland) or the Indianapolis Zoo.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I would think they would most likely be transferred to other zoos maybe?
Some might, but I imagine a lot of them will be euthanized. Apparently that's fairly common for animals that breed well in captivity, like tigers.

Our local zoo/botanical garden was founded in 1850, and used to have horribly inadequate facilities. Just about everything has been redone over the past 25 years, and it has taken several million to bring the facilities up to par. One thing the Wilhelma did was start selling annual tickets, which not only include admission, but also behind-the-scene tours and lectures at regular intervals.

I wonder if the Potawatomi Zoo will be able to raise that much?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I must agree with Tricia. I assume that many of the more "common" more easily bred in captivity animals will be euthanized. There just isn't going to be enough space for them all & I must wonder....if the living conditions are poor, then they cannot be in the best of health?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Some might, but I imagine a lot of them will be euthanized. Apparently that's fairly common for animals that breed well in captivity, like tigers.

Our local zoo/botanical garden was founded in 1850, and used to have horribly inadequate facilities. Just about everything has been redone over the past 25 years, and it has taken several million to bring the facilities up to par. One thing the Wilhelma did was start selling annual tickets, which not only include admission, but also behind-the-scene tours and lectures at regular intervals.

I wonder if the Potawatomi Zoo will be able to raise that much?
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I must agree with Tricia. I assume that many of the more "common" more easily bred in captivity animals will be euthanized. There just isn't going to be enough space for them all & I must wonder....if the living conditions are poor, then they cannot be in the best of health?
That's awful!!!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG how horrible!

Last year we almost lost the Detroit Zoo. Apparently the Zoo was being kept under the city's funds and because of budget cuts they were about the close the zoo. The Detroit Zoological Society placed a bid to take it over and luckily the zoo was saved. However now they're doign major duty fund raisers and even hosting some job fairs and such to promote the zoo as well as raise money.

Perhaps they should look into hosting events? I found out the Detroit Zoo offers facilities for wedding receptions!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

That's awful!!!!
It is, isn't it? We have three "reality TV" series here dealing with big zoos in Germany, and the subject of "excess offspring" has been touched upon. If their genes are needed for diversity, they'll find homes in other zoos. Otherwise, they may very well be put down.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even want to think about the animals being PTS instead of being rehomed. I realize it's a very probably reality if funds can't be found but it's just too sad to think about.

I certainly hope they can find a way out of this situation.

I've been there in the last few months and despit the poor housing conditions the animals look quite good. They are only homed in those small and damp facilities durring winter months. Of course, that doesn't make it acceptable.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Kansas City zoo was in a slow decline for many years and hired a new director to turn it around. He promoted a lot of programs to raise money for better habitats, then turned to the community to get volunteers to do a lot of necessary upgrades. DH and I did a lot of work for them one summer.

I've been a "Friend of the Zoo" for many years now. When I go to visit it, DH will point out the trees that he planted and the tree that they placed in the leopard cage (we love watching the big cats lounge in that tree). I point out the fences that I painted around the Hippo enclosure, the lion enclosure, and the big wall of fence around one of their Africa exihibits.

They spent a lot of time and money on that zoo and its wonderful now. They've kept some of the outdated cages as a reminder of what zoos should not be.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can hardly believe euthanasia is a possibility! That's not what zoos are supposed to be about... surely, surely something can be done!

If we can do a massive federal bailout loan for a car company, shouldn't we be able to do a relatively small bailout loan for something so integral to our quality of life as a zoo? At the very least, a federal-matching-funds sort of arrangement?