Bad Diarrhea, Poo Stains Everywhere... Some advice?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted about this in another thread but now its down to the nitty gritty and I need to make a decision. I got a new kitten (5.5 month old male) and he was being fed Fromm Duck A La Veg Dry food by his previous owner. I bought some of the same formula (since my other cats are on EVO) to use in the process of slowly converting him to EVO. Ive decided that I do NOT want him on the Fromm or EVO. He has diarrhea so bad, whenever he poos I can hear juicy farts galore, and it is all liquid (he has been like this since I got him but it got worse)... I took him to the vet 2 days ago and his fecal exam came back normal. I know that he has nerve issues being in a new house and going through the stressful introduction period (which it has had its stressful moments, but it is getting better). Im wondering since he already has the runs so bad if I should buy new food and just switch him? He cannot handle the Fromm and it is quite obvious, Ive also caught him sneaking bites of EVO (from the other cat dishes) and he cant handle that either...

This morning when I went into his room there were poo stains on the floor, on the towel I put on my computer chair for him, and on my glass computer desk... This poor guy has the runs so bad... what can I do for him? Sharky suggested tryin lamb dry food (that he may have an issue with duck and poultry) and even some pumpkin baby food...

I need some advice or suggestions so I can help this little guy out asap.... The vet suggested SD (says its the best out there lol... yeah ok lady) and I refuse to put my kitten on basic SD.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've become a big believer in using probiotic supplements to treat loose stools. My Coco had
loose stools for a year before I started giving her a probiotic supplement. Her stools became normal after just 2 days on the supplement.

She was never as bad as what you are describing but if you are out of ideas it might be worth trying. I've hesitated to make this suggestion when kittens are involved because it seems loose stools are fairly common with kittens and tend to resolve themselves in a short time. Not so in your case I guess.

The supplement I use is Eagle Pack Holistic Solution. There are others though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive never used a probiotic, I do know that there are probiotics in the ingredients of his Fromm food. Is it a pill? How do I give it to him, sorry for the silly questions but I have no experience with supplements. He is almost 6 months and big for his age, you think it could work?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He definitely needs to be on a *basic* food. ASAP.

A probiotic would be like acidophilis or the pet version. I think the pet version is called Benebac. You could also try plain yogurt, if he'll eat it. That has the same beneficial bacteria. Stimpy is my yogurt fiend--but he only likes Stoneyfield Farms Organic.
He's not spoiled.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Ive never used a probiotic, I do know that there are probiotics in the ingredients of his Fromm food. Is it a pill? How do I give it to him, sorry for the silly questions but I have no experience with supplements. He is almost 6 months and big for his age, you think it could work?
Not silly at all.

I don't believe the probiotics included in some dry foods is sufficient for some cats. At the height of Coco's problem she was eating Innova EVO and Wellness dry both of which contain probiotics and they didn't help at all.

The Holistic Solution I use is a powder. It can be mixed with food. Because I want to be sure of how much Coco is getting and she may not eat all of her food, I give it to her in a kind of gruel I mix up. It is 1/8 t Holistic Solution, 1/8 brewer's yeast and 1/4 t water. She loves it and laps it up in seconds. I started out giving it to her twice a day at meal times. I've recently cut back to once a day to see if that is enough.

There are other brands in other forms. Bene Bac (sp?) is a gel. I'm sure there are others also. Maybe in pill form, I don't know.

Probiotics are all natural and so it wouldn't hurt to try.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im definitely going to check that out... Because he is leaving poo stains everywhere. Im suprised he is so playful and in such a great and loving mood with all the gas and diarrhea he has been going through... Oh he is quite the stinky little bugger.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Im definitely going to check that out... Because he is leaving poo stains everywhere. Im suprised he is so playful and in such a great and loving mood with all the gas and diarrhea he has been going through... Oh he is quite the stinky little bugger.
Coco was outwardly very healthy also. Good weight, playful. Somewhat stinky too!

I tried her on simple foods also (California Natural chk and Rice and Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea) and only got temporary improvement.

Coco won't eat yogurt so I don't know if it would have helped her. Holistic Solution has a wider range of probiotics than what is in yogurt and it also contains prebiotics.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a link to some of the products you are all talking about???

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links... I was considering Cal Natural Chicken and Rice... Would this be a bad idea???

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the links... I was considering Cal Natural Chicken and Rice... Would this be a bad idea???
??? Did you see this in my previous post:

BTW - I did feed California Natural Chk & Rice exclusively for the first week with the Holistic Solution. Although by itself it didn't solve the problem, I do think feeding a simpler food might have helped the "healing" process go faster.
Maybe it isn't clear that I meant I think the Cal Natural, being a simpler food, helped.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didnt get to check all the links I am at work. I didnt misunderstand, Im not that dense... You stated that it didnt fix the issue but helped a little, so I asked if it was maybe a bad idea maybe I should go for something else??? I was considering Cal Natural since this weekend when i first noticed the issue, I just never used the product line myself... Was just digging for futher info is all.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didnt get to check all the links I am at work. I didnt misunderstand, Im not that dense... You stated that it didnt fix the issue but helped a little, so I asked if it was maybe a bad idea maybe I should go for something else??? I was considering Cal Natural since this weekend when i first noticed the issue, I just never used the product line myself... Was just digging for futher info is all.
I didn't think you were being dense, I thought you might not have seen that part of the post or else that I had worded it badly.
Written communications isn't my strong suit...

I think using the Cal Natural along with a probiotic supplement is a good plan. Considering how bad his diarrhea is I don't think the Cal Natural or any other food by itself will help much. But, getting improvement with a simpler food is a hallmark of inadequate "gut flora". The simpler food is easier for the digestive system to handle even with inadequate gut flora. The supplement will beef up the gut flora and hopefully enable his digestive system to handle any food. Assuming inadequate gut flora is even the problem...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I didn't think you were being dense, I thought you might not have seen that part of the post or else that I had worded it badly.
Written communications isn't my strong suit...

I think using the Cal Natural along with a probiotic supplement is a good plan. Considering how bad his diarrhea is I don't think the Cal Natural or any other food by itself will help much. But, getting improvement with a simpler food is a hallmark of inadequate "gut flora". The simpler food is easier for the digestive system to handle even with inadequate gut flora. The supplement will beef up the gut flora and hopefully enable his digestive system to handle any food. Assuming inadequate gut flora is even the problem...
LMAO it isnt my strong suit either... Ahhh so alike in that sense.

You are awesome, I will definitely go that route... Im going to get some tonight, that DUCK stuff has got to go. Ill definitley try the probiotics with it... Any recommeded time with the probiotics, just till I see improvement or solid stools? Or is it something that can be used over an extended period of time?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still say a probiotic and a NON poultry meat ...

bene bac and probios are the two "pet " probiotics I recommend ... they are um Less $$ than Eagle pack and IMHO better... THOU I use human ... I just found a really good one for Gigi at the supplement store for about 4 bucks a month

http://www.supersup.com/ they are local to me but have a great selection so you can do some basic research and make a informed decision

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat had horrible diarrhea and powerful stinky farts too, all because I gave him Whiskas Temptations cat treats for only one week and the diarrhea lasted for 5 MONTHS even though I had thrown out the treats right away. I tried many different natural remedies first and nothing was a permanent solution. Finally took him to a vet who prescribed Flagyl and Albon (liquid form), which we had to force feed into his mouth and the trauma made his diarrhea far worse -- he ended up pooping diarrhea on our bed, on the sofa, on top of the air conditioner, and in every room of our place! The medication did nothing!

I urge you to read this website immediately: catinfo.org. It's LOADED with valuable information, including about IBD (Inflammatory bowel disease). Dr. Lisa Pierson wrote this website and has helped our cat tremendously!!!

Dr. Pierson's advise and information solved the problem with just giving the right food that nature intended for cats -- we all should know that cats are carnivores. The ideal food she recommends is raw food you make yourself, her recipe is on her website. But I opted for her plan B, which is commercially prepared frozen raw food (Nature's Variety brand), but our cat didn't like it at all, even though I tried mixing it with things he does like. So I had to go for her plan C, which is canned food. First I tried a brand she recommended, Nature's Variety canned chicken, and he DID have solid poop finally! But he ate less and less of it, so I panicked and bought a canned brand which was NOT on her recommended list, Pet Promise canned chicken (only because I happened to have it) -- it had no hormones or by-products, but it did have rice, and my cat pooped diarrhea on our white comforter a second time! You will see in Dr. Pierson's website that she doesn't recommend giving cats any grains because they're carnivores. Then I tried Wellness grain-free canned chicken, which is one of the brands she recommends on her website -- he likes it and has been having solid poops ever since!!!!!!

Just so you know, before we were referred to Dr. Pierson and her website, we were giving him Innova Evo dry food. The weird thing is that he didn't have problems before I gave him the cat treats, but the treats had corn in it which may have been the culprit as I've heard corn can cause problems for cats.

We're so happy and relieved that our cat's chronic diarrhea problem had a solution AND it turned out to be such a simple, healthy and inexpensive solution after all!!! All that horrible stress is over for us and our cat! PLEASE read her website!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LMAO it isnt my strong suit either... Ahhh so alike in that sense.

You are awesome, I will definitely go that route... Im going to get some tonight, that DUCK stuff has got to go. Ill definitley try the probiotics with it... Any recommeded time with the probiotics, just till I see improvement or solid stools? Or is it something that can be used over an extended period of time?
According to Eagle Pack you should see results within 3 to 5 days. Coco had a normal stool by the end of the 2nd day.

How long the supplement is needed probably depends on the cause of the gut flora problem. If the flora was just temporary out of balance, I would guess a week or 2 with the supplement would be all that is needed. In Coco's case, I suspect she will need the supplement for life and, again according to Eagle Pack, giving it for life is OK. After 2 weeks I started giving Coco less to see if she still needs it and if so how much. This is only week 3 so I don't know for sure if she is going to need it for life.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MOST of us have read that site ... and it does have lots of good info ...

I am glad it fixed your problem wish they were all that easy

Yes GIVING a probiotic for LIFE is FINE and most nutrition minded vet recommend that ... I have been slipping on Gigi s probiotics and she has had some Ibs issues again.... And she eats homemade with some canned and Wellness core dog