Talking to strange dogs

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was sitting at a stop light today and the people next to me had a beautiful yellow lab. It was looking at me so I talked baby talk to it till the light turned green.
Just curious as to how many of you out there talk to dogs in other peoples vehicles?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the time. No shame. Absolutely. I talk to every single dog I see, as a matter of course.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a dog I pass in my neighborhood that I desprately want to stop and pet! She's soooo sweet and she remembers my car and gets excited when she sees me coming. I always wave to her!

Another neighbor's dog likes to get loose. Whenever I see him I have a little talk with him and tell him to go home, and he does!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do!!

I also talk to kitty cats when I see them

Last week my daughter and I were sitting at the convenient store and a gal pulled up with a black lab mix, and he was hanging out the window and so we were talking to him!! He would bark back at us...it was cute...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't always talk to dogs in vehicles. If their human is there, I mostly do, and if they get worked up about anyone being around their vehicle (doing the guard thing) I might say, "It's all right, darling. I'm not going to hurt your car."

But I do talk to all dogs on the street, particularly if they are tied up outside a store. I'll approach with a happy face and ask if they talk to strangers, and the vast majority of them make it quite clear that they'd looooooooooove a conversation. So we chat for a few minutes, and I deliver whatever scritches they invite and reassure them that their human won't be long, because who could leave such a lovely person for more than a few minutes, etc, etc.

If they decline the conversation, I'll just say, "Not sure, eh? That's Ok." and move on.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certianly... I do the same. Any animal. I'm walking along infact... I see a bunny, a squirrl... I'm gunna talk to it. It's in my nature... my kids do it too... because they've always seen mom do the same

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, after watching Men in Black, we passed a van with a "Frank" dog (pug - same color). So I looked over and said to the dog "hey Frank, where's the aliens?" - he actually looked at me then kinda turn his head to the back of the car, then back at me.....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yep, after watching Men in Black, we passed a van with a "Frank" dog (pug - same color). So I looked over and said to the dog "hey Frank, where's the aliens?" - he actually looked at me then kinda turn his head to the back of the car, then back at me.....
OMG!! I have a pug and COMPLETELY forgot about the pug in Men in Black! Ok, now I'm paranoid. I think Buttercup and I will have to have a long talk!

We talk to animals all the time, especially any on our road. That way if they get loose they will feel comfortable enough to come to us and we know what house they go to. We're not that excited about talking to the humans though.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My BF INSISTS on barking (he calls it "talking") to any dog we see. I get so embarrassed when their owner is around and he just starts barking!! LOL I only talk to dogs that come up and sniff me.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

We talk to animals all the time, especially any on our road. That way if they get loose they will feel comfortable enough to come to us and we know what house they go to. We're not that excited about talking to the humans though.
That's so funny about the humans!

I usually interact with any dogs I meet, but I try and assess whether their human is going to OK with it first. Some people don't like it when you talk to their dog.
I have that happen to me frequently too. Dogs are famous ice breakers, people are much more comfortable talking to you if you're walking a dog (or cat).
And I talk to the other animals. I see lots of animals on a daily basis. It seems weird to me that people aren't comfortable with talking to animals.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd rather talk to dogs, especially 'shop' dogs, rather than talk to people.

I find dogs have more intelligent things to say.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

YUP>>>

I seem to have dog attract and they all want to talk to me ...lamo.. if only my dog was better

orestes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

They certainly do.

I can't resist talking to an animal, no matter what kind it is, if I pass it. It kills me to go into a pet shop. The last time I did, my ride almost left me.

ocicatdude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brittany

My BF INSISTS on barking (he calls it "talking") to any dog we see. I get so embarrassed when their owner is around and he just starts barking!! LOL I only talk to dogs that come up and sniff me.
That is hilarious, i can only imagine how embarrassing it is for you!