DH mentioned getting a kitty

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH and I are going to be moving in a few months and he said maybe when we get settled we can adopt a kitty. I'm kinda iffy because Popsie's been my only fur baby for 16 years. I don't know how well he'd handle another cat. He's still playful and he might enjoy having someone to tussle with but he's just so old. I brought home a rabbit a few years ago and he didn't like her. There was no violence he was just stuck up. When the bunny would go up to him he'd run away and jump on something so she couldn't get to him. I'm also concerned with jealousy as my full attention won't be on him anymore. I need some opinions on whether it's a good idea or not.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say if Popsie is still active, it is worth a shot. How old would the kitten be? Has she ever been around any other cats?

I wouldn't let the experience with the rabbit influence your decision because...well...the rabbit wasn't another cat. So, maybe he just couldn't relate.

I'm not sure at his age whether you should look for a kitten or a young adult. A kitten may be better because he won't be so rough with Popsie and Popsie can teach him/her quickly who is boss. But, then a young adult (2-3 yrs old) might be more calm and give him more companionship.

I know I wasn't much help. Someone else should be able to give better advice on adding another cat to the household (my oldest is 3 yrs, and he doesn't care one way or the other!)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I'd wait till he's gone. He's 16 yrs old and it would be hard on him to adjust after being an only cat for so long.

But looking to the future, when he's gone, I'd go and adopt 2 kittens (you each pick out one)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Personally I'd wait till he's gone. He's 16 yrs old and it would be hard on him to adjust after being an only cat for so long.

But looking to the future, when he's gone, I'd go and adopt 2 kittens (you each pick out one)
That is my opinion too. He's been the only kitty for so long, that it would be unfair for him to have to suddenly share your affection with another cat. And the new cat would require more time and probably more attention from you, taking away from the attention that you have been lavishing on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yeah, I decided this morning to just wait untill Popsie passes on.