Autism Question?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm someone here has known or worked with someone autistic before.

One of members of the group I'm in is slightly autistic. Apparently he's a wiz at computer programming, however his soft skills are apparent. For some reason too he really latches onto me in class, i.e. turning around and asking me a question during lecture, etc.

How do I respond/react? As normal and shush him or just let him go? For example he just sent an email with a question he had about the project, but I really couldn't find what he was referring to, so I responded asking for more information (i.e. "Where did you find this information?").

Thanks!!!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should treat him like you do anyone else. If he is bothering you in class, and you are willing, tell him outside of class that you'll be glad to discuss the lecture after class, not during.

Autism means you perceive the world differently than most people, and you process things around you in a different way, so you learn things differently. If he is high-functioning, I wouldn't treat him in a special way. Sounds like you are already handling things well.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, People with that issue face a HARD time in school.
he probabally has half the stuff in class wiz by his head, Just be compassionte, and help him out after class.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter has a master degree in speech pathology. She has had to take and study many different kinds of stuff.

She tells me that there are many different forms of autism.

She said it is like one part of the brain is like asleep, and another part of the brain is really really awake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my own personal issues don't help either...I really have a hard time focusing and I really don't like being bothered during class since I need to stay focused (doesn't help that its on a Friday night and all day Saturday either and about Audits!
). So I'm kind of rude and pretend like I don't hear him. I do that with anyone.

He did respond back, at first saying that it was part of the project that was presented to us, but the part he pointed out had nothing to do with the question. In his second reply, he figured out the answer himself.

Then I just read a 3rd email from him tonight with my portion of the project, but very shortened. The teacher (who has had this student in class before) warned the third member and I that we would probably wind up doing most of the project ourselves.

OK I'm going back to work on this project.

Thanks for the input and the easy to understand explanations. That helps put a lot of things into perspective for me.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

One of members of the group I'm in is slightly autistic. Apparently he's a wiz at computer programming, however his soft skills are apparent.

Thanks!!!
May be a stupid question, but how do you know he is slightly autistic for sure?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would agree just try if you can to help.... Evan if helping means telling him that he needs to pay attention to the prof not to you
.... I lived this in school from his shoes
.. Oh and it aint easy now either

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest daughter I adopted at ten weeks olde, she was 3 month premature weighted 2 lbs at birth , has some autistic tendencies, often in class she gets over whelmed, and misses important parts of the class, the best way I think, is to just be very polite and patient with him, but firm so he knows your boundries, mild social cues like brushing him off,ignoring him, he won't get, you make you needs clear

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

May be a stupid question, but how do you know he is slightly autistic for sure?
The teacher informed us. Most schools request that you notify them if you fall under the American Disabilities Act. Schools don't require, but the one Community College I teach at has programs set up for individuals with learning disabilities or physical disabilities.

I haven't heard from the other member of the group yet. This is a good learning experience...like I said though I wish I would've done a little research before diving !!! It's good to know that I can still set up boundries with him.