Does He Need A Friend?

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does my 5 yr old cat need a friend? He was brought up as an only pet (I've had him 3.5 months) but it just seems sad that he's alone when I'm not here. I don't even know how he'd react to another cat. My BF has one, but that would mean putting him in the car and that's one of his least favorite things to do and then he hides for a day when he's back home (unless the other cat comes here). The two cats may end up as one big happy family in the future anyway but until then he just seems like he needs a playmate. This is my first cat, so I'm not really sure if he's bored or not (we play every morning and night - have to tire him out before we go to bed!
).

Oh, the BF's cat use to have a sister but she passed away this past year so he's use to having another cat around. He's older (10 maybe) and very laid back (so's George).

Thanks for your thoughts

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer for you, but for me personally, getting two cats was the smartest thing we ever did. If you have cats that get along with each other, it's so much fun to watch them interacting. And I really think it's good for them to have a friend of their own species in the house, especially if they're home alone a lot of the time.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people believe two cats are much better than one.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Five years is youngish, but he's not a kitten anymore. If you want to try it, get an easy-going cat or a kitten and introlduce them carefully. It does have a lot of benefits, though. If they interact, he'll get more exercise through play; and he'll be less bored when you're not there. It just depends on how flexible he is--whether he's willing to share territory, and whether he can live with another cat so nearby. Cats are less social than humans; humans live in clumps, cats have individual territories... So it depends on the cat, but it's worth a try.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by George's Mom

Does my 5 yr old cat need a friend? He was brought up as an only pet (I've had him 3.5 months) but it just seems sad that he's alone when I'm not here. I don't even know how he'd react to another cat. My BF has one, but that would mean putting him in the car and that's one of his least favorite things to do and then he hides for a day when he's back home (unless the other cat comes here). The two cats may end up as one big happy family in the future anyway but until then he just seems like he needs a playmate. This is my first cat, so I'm not really sure if he's bored or not (we play every morning and night - have to tire him out before we go to bed!
).

Oh, the BF's cat use to have a sister but she passed away this past year so he's use to having another cat around. He's older (10 maybe) and very laid back (so's George).

Thanks for your thoughts
George would probably LOVE a buddy! And not only would he get more stimulus, exercise, affection, and all good things, you'd also be saving another precious life! How about adopting another adult cat from your local sanctuary, rescue group, or shelter? As you can see, we LOVE big families here, and all of us are rescues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would, for sure, get an "older" cat. Actually, I'm going to the Humane Society tomorrow to drop off some food - I'll probably find someone who I'll fall in love with
I checked out their web site this evening and a couple guys caught my eye! There's a reason why I can't volunteer there - I'd bring everyone home (probably even the reptiles
).

George is a pretty solitary guy...that's why I was "concerned" about bringing a new friend into the mix.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long was he at the humane soc before you adopted him? was he in with other cats? how did they say he got on with them? I've only ever had one cat at a time & I figure they sleep all day when alone.
I do have 2 dogs though & as said I love to watch them interact with each other. Blossom also plays with the younger dog & they have a great time.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a house that's big enough to easily divide into two territories, and if you're willing to provide separate litter boxes (three of them, so one cat can't block the other's access to the box), then I think the worst you'd get would be the cats tolerating each others' presence--and they could become great friends. Of course, the benefit to the other cat you adopt could be as great as saving its life.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I got a 2nd kitty. Our poor lonley kitty Horatio always looked so sad
*lonley* Human play and lovins can only do so much...

We brought in Yuki... he *pouted*
HISSED at her when he first saw her, then his ears perked back up and he wanted to know what she was all about... they have been buds every since... they love to play..... they play seperately too... but its good that he has a kitty friend...

& Sunday we have final kitty # 3 comming

Horatio is a cuddler, Yuki isnt, I've been told our new kitty Max is a BIG Cuddler... Yuki loves to Bathe Horatio... Horatio doesn't really dig that... maybe our new 10 month old kitty will like Yuki Bathing him & they will be a big happy kitty family

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

That's why I got a 2nd kitty. Our poor lonley kitty Horatio always looked so sad
*lonley* Human play and lovins can only do so much...

We brought in Yuki... he *pouted*
HISSED at her when he first saw her, then his ears perked back up and he wanted to know what she was all about... they have been buds every since... they love to play..... they play seperately too... but its good that he has a kitty friend...

& Sunday we have final kitty # 3 comming

Horatio is a cuddler, Yuki isnt, I've been told our new kitty Max is a BIG Cuddler... Yuki loves to Bathe Horatio... Horatio doesn't really dig that... maybe our new 10 month old kitty will like Yuki Bathing him & they will be a big happy kitty family
Well, Horatio and Yuki sure are ADORABLE, and I hope that New 10 Months Kitty will fit right in but, as for it being a BIG family --- look below

I rest my case

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your thoughts on if I should get George a friend. Finally stopped at the Humane Society today to drop off food George didn't like. Of course, then I had to visit all the animals. It's so sad to see them all looking at you with their sad eyes saying "take me home with you"...but for now I think I'll have to resist. I'm thinking that today, by tomorrow I might want to find George another friend!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by George's Mom

Thanks for all your thoughts on if I should get George a friend. Finally stopped at the Humane Society today to drop off food George didn't like. Of course, then I had to visit all the animals. It's so sad to see them all looking at you with their sad eyes saying "take me home with you"...but for now I think I'll have to resist. I'm thinking that today, by tomorrow I might want to find George another friend!!
...sure would be a wonderful thing. Keep us posted, won't you?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have successfully introduced a new kitten (Sashka) to our family when Sunday and Cairo (who we got together from our local shelter) were about five years old. With the proper introductions things went very well. Of course, the older two had always been part of a two-cat household and had never really been alone, which may have helped, but it really depends on the cats involved and the time spent with introductions. I always (personally) believe the more cats the better. They are solitary animals but this doesn't mean that they are not sociable animals who can and do enjoy the company of other cats. I think George may well love a playmate - but I agree with others here that another adult rescue would be the best way to go, for all the reasons stated.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

We have successfully introduced a new kitten (Sashka) to our family when Sunday and Cairo (who we got together from our local shelter) were about five years old. With the proper introductions things went very well. Of course, the older two had always been part of a two-cat household and had never really been alone, which may have helped, but it really depends on the cats involved and the time spent with introductions. I always (personally) believe the more cats the better. They are solitary animals but this doesn't mean that they are not sociable animals who can and do enjoy the company of other cats. I think George may well love a playmate - but I agree with others here that another adult rescue would be the best way to go, for all the reasons stated.
...great post, and wonderful thoughts! And as you can see, we walk the talk here (or should I say, pad the purr)