Arnie and Coccodia update

Status
Not open for further replies.

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all.

I thought I would update on my previous thread about Coccodia.

We took Arnie to the vets today and she took an xray.

She showed us his Colan and the size of it and then pointed to a section of small intestine on the xray that was more expanded then his Colan.
She said it shouldn't be that big and was full of gas. She said it looks like he has a blocked/twisted gut.

She said he has high counts of a cell that makes them jaundice (I forget what she called it) and his electrolytes are very low.

She's not sure if he will make it though the night

She has taken him in and is going to put him on IV fluids and antibiotics over night and then do the exploratory surgery either way. She said if he makes it through the night, because he is so skinny the anesthetic might be too much for his body and he might die, but she said with out it he is going to die.

We only had him 4 days
But I guess this is the chances you take with rescue kittens. You never know their history.

She's going to call in the morning to give us an update on how he is doing before the surgery.
She said although he is weak and very poorly, he still has plenty of spunk left in him because he tried to remove the hands of the nurses trying to take bloods from him lol!

I guess that is a good thing. That he still has fight and purrs in him and has not given up.

Please send him good thoughts tonight. I want little Arnie home!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Okuda

Hello all.

I thought I would update on my previous thread about Coccodia.

We took Arnie to the vets today and she took an xray.

She showed us his Colan and the size of it and then pointed to a section of small intestine on the xray that was more expanded then his Colan.
She said it shouldn't be that big and was full of gas. She said it looks like he has a blocked/twisted gut.

She said he has high counts of a cell that makes them jaundice (I forget what she called it) and his electrolytes are very low.

She's not sure if he will make it though the night

She has taken him in and is going to put him on IV fluids and antibiotics over night and then do the exploratory surgery either way. She said if he makes it through the night, because he is so skinny the anesthetic might be too much for his body and he might die, but she said with out it he is going to die.

We only had him 4 days
But I guess this is the chances you take with rescue kittens. You never know their history.

She's going to call in the morning to give us an update on how he is doing before the surgery.
She said although he is weak and very poorly, he still has plenty of spunk left in him because he tried to remove the hands of the nurses trying to take bloods from him lol!

I guess that is a good thing. That he still has fight and purrs in him and has not given up.

Please send him good thoughts tonight. I want little Arnie home!
Please know that Arnie (and you) are in our thoughts and prayers. You're right about never knowing about rescue kittens -- or anyone else, for that matter, as any of us can have anything happen at any time! -- but if you can think this way, try to know that it is very important that he came into your life and that he knows he is LOVED. I have had sad experiences with rescue kittens, too -- but as you see, most of OUR rescue kittens have gone on to become big, glossy, very much loved CATS. The bottom line is always love and good care. He knows you love him. Take comfort in that.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry!! I'm sending mega Arnie's way. Please keep us updated.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of good vibes and prayers for Arnie's full recovery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for your good vibes
They helped him!

The vet just called and said Arnie has made it through the night. He said he has perked up some and is trying to play and put his paw out the cage (He has not done this yet with us!)

He took another xray of his guts and he said the gas pattern is the same ~ He said if there was not a blockage it would have passed in the night. He said they have scheduled surgery for this lunchtime and hopefully it is something simple like a blockage.

I really hope it is a blockage and nothing more serious. Please keep sending your good vibes everyone

Thank you so much

x

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending good vibes for Arnie! I know how hard it is when you have such a little kitten- very scary!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset ..

The vets just called me and told me has Feline Infectious Peritonitis.

He said his intestines are just full of thick yellow fluid and the coating on the intestines has gone so every time he touches it it bleeds. He also said his lymph nodes are massive. He said it's not something he is going to be able to get over and he probably had it since he was a kitten.

I asked him not to wake him up from the surgery. I don't want him to suffer anymore.

He was only 14 weeks old

I'm glad we got to give him a home for 4 days and I am glad his last day, even though in a vets, he was feeling better and playful.

It's crazy how attached you can get to something.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sad for you, but you did all you could and Arnie did not die in pain as he could have done. RIP little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.