TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › just used flea drop treatment and want to know if this is normal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

just used flea drop treatment and want to know if this is normal

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
applyed Hartz one spot inbetween cats sholders but i am worried as he is trying to lick it and now is cleaning him self, might he poisen him self or is this ok?

thanks!!
post #2 of 17
well, not to alram you, but using Hartz is very very bad, it HAS poisoned cats in the past. If I were you I would get to washing that off ASAP and then see your vet about getting something like Frontline or Advantage for Fleas, they are much safer and IMO far more effective. Also, when I put this kind of stuff on my cats, I actually put it above the shoulder blades, basically in the middle of the back of their neck to be sure they can't get their tongue on it
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
ANy one else heard bad things, what symptoms should i look for if he gets ill?
post #4 of 17
here's a website full of stories about Hartz products poisoning their pets:
http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules....tories_Archive
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
yeah I just found that, it doesnt say weather its from injesting the stuff or just from using it, what do you think?
post #6 of 17
We have a few members that have had problems using these and similar products. While I am sure not every cat has a reaction, I agree with katiemae1277 that you should wash it off and contact your vet. Better safe than sorry.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow View Post
applyed Hartz one spot inbetween cats sholders but i am worried as he is trying to lick it and now is cleaning him self, might he poisen him self or is this ok?

thanks!!
Just adding my concern to others' as I see you've already got the information you need. Personally, I would not buy ANY Hartz products, period.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06 View Post
Just adding my concern to others' as I see you've already got the information you need. Personally, I would not buy ANY Hartz products, period.
Agree with the others. Wash it off and obtain some Frontline or Advantage from your vet.
post #9 of 17
Please wash him off...OTC flea products are dangerous they put a bald spot on my baby!
post #10 of 17
i would never buy otc flea medications...too risky. kinda like having codine or morphine available otc for headache medicine.....
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Well washed it off, gave him a bath last night and WOWEE he hated that!! altho he was well behaved he cried and cried the whole time! he hated me for a while but now he is almost back to his usual loving self! he wont go near the bathroom tho LOL
post #12 of 17
I'm glad you washed it off. I used that once, back before I knew better. And one of my cats had a bad reaction. When I called the vet (as I had just applied it a few hours previous) the advice he gave me was to wash it off. Raven was fine after that. But I sure learned my lesson.

I've used Frontline in the years since.
post #13 of 17
We used hartz on our cats and almost killed him. He still isn't the same. If you haven't already, go to the vet.

Manda
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow View Post
Well washed it off, gave him a bath last night and WOWEE he hated that!! altho he was well behaved he cried and cried the whole time! he hated me for a while but now he is almost back to his usual loving self! he wont go near the bathroom tho LOL
...but he's SAFE AND HEALTHY! THAT'S the important thing!
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Please wash him off...OTC flea products are dangerous they put a bald spot on my baby!

Revolution put a bald spot on one of my cats and another acts like I'm trying to poison him when I put in on him. Since the bald spot I'm looking for other options.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich View Post
Revolution put a bald spot on one of my cats and another acts like I'm trying to poison him when I put in on him. Since the bald spot I'm looking for other options.
Keeping cats indoors-only and giving them good frequent combings with a good flea comb are two good ways to prevent fleas. There are all-natural flea powders which are safe -- check ingredients to make sure that they are!
But so far, I haven't had any trouble just by following the first two recommendations.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich View Post
Revolution put a bald spot on one of my cats and another acts like I'm trying to poison him when I put in on him. Since the bald spot I'm looking for other options.
Yours in particular might just have an allergic reaction to it or something because Revolution is normally an EXCELLENT flea medication. Look into Frontline or Advantage or just stick to baths in Dawn dish soap and a flea comb
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › just used flea drop treatment and want to know if this is normal