softpaws any reviews?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok my friend and I are moving in together and the apartment we are moving to only allows cats that are declawed, and thats not gonna happen! And we found softpaws and the landlord said that that could be a good option. Has anyone used these? I'm wondering how good they actually work. And if someone has used them maybe you can help me with sizing! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats! I guess if I would have searched more I probably could have found that one!
So the claws still retract? Thats the only thing I wasnt so sure about. And size. My Kahlua is a very small cat, but we also need 1 for our "normal" sized cat, But I was wondering if the small size I got for Kahlua would fit him. He only has 1 claw and I dont want to buy a whole new pack!(...its a long story!) I think it might be a 3 person job with kahlua! Dont let her cute look fool you, she can be a terror! -she's the tortie-

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Sizing is generally based on your cat's weight... (the chart should be on the soft paws website - definitely on the back of the package)... if your one cat has only 1 claw, for whatever reason haha, you can buy the appropriate size for the cat with all of it's claws and if that size is bigger than what's needed for the 1 claw kid, just use a pair of nail scissors to trim the caps.... I use softpaws on Oliver quite successfully... if your kitty is a handful as far as dealing with paws, groomers and most vet techs will apply the caps for you - of course probably for a fee... and I don't know if you realize this, but the caps will fall off as kitty's nails naturally shed, so they will have to be reapplied... still a much better option than declawing! I could go on and on, but if you do a search on this site for soft paws or soft claws, you should come up with several threads on this topic... and fyi: I get Oliver's soft paws through ebay for a lot cheaper than in petco or petsmart (shipping included) plus the place I get them from includes a free catnip mouse!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use these but think they are very cute
Just wanted to say you're wonderful for choosing to not declaw

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just put Soft Claws on Roxie tonight... Applying them was a PAIN!! She was so unhappy and not cooperative! I will let you know how it goes in the long term, Good luck!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

We just put Soft Claws on Roxie tonight... Applying them was a PAIN!! She was so unhappy and not cooperative! I will let you know how it goes in the long term, Good luck!
it gets easier as they get used to it. also, the 1st application is the hardest, 'cause you're doing so many at once. after that, you just replace them as needed, usually only a couple at a time.
Cable complains the whole time i'm doing it, but she sits pretty still for me. Java is much harder, but she's also harder to clip - she wants to put her face in my way!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

it gets easier as they get used to it. also, the 1st application is the hardest, 'cause you're doing so many at once. after that, you just replace them as needed, usually only a couple at a time.
Cable complains the whole time i'm doing it, but she sits pretty still for me. Java is much harder, but she's also harder to clip - she wants to put her face in my way!
Yeah, we figured it would get easier. Boy is it a relief to hear though!! She acted as though we were hurting her... but she seems fine now!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there places that can put them on for you? (I don't want to use them, but I figured an option for the one whom asked about them)

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Lore

Is there places that can put them on for you? (I don't want to use them, but I figured an option for the one whom asked about them)
Groomers and sometimes your vet tech will apply them... I'm sure for a fee though - I've only ever applied them myself, so I don't know exactly what any costs would be