What Age to Test Kitten?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At what age can kittens be tested for felv?

I'm going to be fostering a very young kitten (5 weeks) and I don't have a way to keep it separate from Riley unless I lock it in my bedroom the few weeks its there. Alternately, I could vaccinate Riley before I bring the kitten in. (there may be other foster kittens in the future and its really not practical to keep them separated).

I don't want to risk Riley's health, so any advice appreciated.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go ahead and get Reilly vaccinated- just in case

Even if you were to keep the kitten in the bedroom- you would have to change your clothes, wash hands/arms etc.. every time you came out of there

I've never had a kitten that young- maybe you could call the vet and see what their opinion is? They might tell you something totally different

Congrads on the foster!
can't wait to see pics!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, i personally believe that you can test a kitten at 6 weeks and the results will be correct, leukemia is strange in that it can hide in the bone marrow and even if the kitten may test positive and then retest negative I truly don't believe the kitten is negative, but that's just my opinion based on stuff i've read. Anyhow, i digress
I don't trust the vaccine either, it's only been shown to be approximately 85% effective, not good odds in my book. I would look at the background of the little guy too, such as has there been a high incidence of leukemia positives in your area, if the mother is known, did she test pos or neg, etc etc.

here is a link that has been EXTREMELY informative to me regarding FeLV and FIV
http://www.aafponline.org/resources/...Guidelines.pdf

ETA: also, i think that in a kitten as young as that, if he has leukemia it will show up on a test, at that age the body has not had time to "hide" it

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've tested successfully at 4 weeks before.
I kept my Bottle Babies in the bathroom away from other cats here. Mine aren't vaccinated for FeLV & the kitten(s) weren't tested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens were dumped at an apartment complex. No info known on the mother or anything else. I think I will go ahead and vaccinate Riley as well as get the kitten tested, just to be on the safe side.

Part of the reason I am fostering, besides helping the kitten, is so Riley can have a playmate now and then, before I am ready to adopt a 2nd one, so I would hate to have to keep the kitten in a cage or something.

Thanks!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now....what about the FeLV vaccine? How soon is it effective....I know like distemper they don't have immunity until 1 week after the 2nd shot....which comes 3-4 weeks after the first.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Now....what about the FeLV vaccine? How soon is it effective....I know like distemper they don't have immunity until 1 week after the 2nd shot....which comes 3-4 weeks after the first.
I am going to take him by saturday for his shot, so I will ask. The kitten will hopefully be tested the same day, then be picked up on tuesday evening to come home with me, so even if I had to keep it caged for a week or so, that would be better than locking it up for the whole month.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've tested successfully at 4 weeks before.
I kept my Bottle Babies in the bathroom away from other cats here. Mine aren't vaccinated for FeLV & the kitten(s) weren't tested.
If you have any questions and have to set an appointment for testing anyway...why not just call the vet and ask the vet when the kitten should be tested......isn't that simple enough?

Also...I rescued 16 cats from Hurricane Andrew in Miami in 1993 and still have all but one.

One of the first things I did, even though it could be expensive (but I had a vet who was caring b/c I rescued these kitties) is have the cats tested...and even if the test was negative...they were vaccinated. Many of things like FeLV, lukemia, etc., that cats can get remain dormant....so....with other cats in the household....IMHO....if you love the cats you already have, you get the new ones vaccinated.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
unfortunately vets are sometimes woefully uneducated about FeLV and FIV
after hearing some of the things they've told people regarding these diseases I wouldn't believe anything any of them told me, and that's just keepin it real

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

I would go ahead and get Reilly vaccinated- just in case

Even if you were to keep the kitten in the bedroom- you would have to change your clothes, wash hands/arms etc.. every time you came out of there

I've never had a kitten that young- maybe you could call the vet and see what their opinion is? They might tell you something totally different

Congrads on the foster!
can't wait to see pics!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great advice....
you DO have to wash hands, etc. Must be so very careful...and yes....calling the vet is a very intelligent answer to the "when" question.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, its a non-profit spay/neuter clinic that does the testing and they don't answer calls, only return messages (sometimes up to a week later) so I wasn't able to ask them.

However, the lady that has the kitten now went ahead and took her into the vet today since she's limping on one paw. She was wormed, etc. and tested negative, but is very young so needs to be tested again when she is a bit older. I think I will go ahead and get Riley vacc just to be safe.

I will be getting the kitten on sunday instead of tuesday, so I'll post pics of her then

Thanks!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

unfortunately vets are sometimes woefully uneducated about FeLV and FIV
after hearing some of the things they've told people regarding these diseases I wouldn't believe anything any of them told me, and that's just keepin it real
-------------

I absolutely agree....and that is why.....after moving to Jacksonville from Miami (where I had a WONDERFUL vet), I have been through 3 vets here in Jacksonville, until I finally found one who cares about the animals....not just his bank account.....and half the city of Jacksonville go to him. It is a "wait in line" vet....but boy is it worth it.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great for you AlleyGirl....and I don't know if Riley is only an indoor kitty, but even so....it is best to have them vaccinated....for new kittens coming in...and also in case they get out.

Good for you...so glad the lady is taking her to the vet first and not putting that responsibility and expense on you....especially since, I assume, you are fostering for her.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Great for you AlleyGirl....and I don't know if Riley is only an indoor kitty, but even so....it is best to have them vaccinated....for new kittens coming in...and also in case they get out.

Good for you...so glad the lady is taking her to the vet first and not putting that responsibility and expense on you....especially since, I assume, you are fostering for her.
Riley is indoor only, which is why I wasn't going to get him those vaccinations, but when I agreed to foster a kitten now and then, I wanted to make sure he was safe first.