Ohhhhh...I HATE being numb....

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got back a while ago from getting a few fillings and my whole bottom jaw was numb. Now it's just the left side. I just bit my lip while trying to eat....I'M STARVING and couldn't wait anymore. My poor wittle lip.....
I have never had a filling before this and wasn't expecting it to last this long...even being on the flip side of this situation every day....oh well.....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate being numb too
at least it won't last forever! hope your lip feels better

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always schedule my dentist appointment for the latest one available (so I don't have to use too much vacation time from work.) I just take a nap when I get home, until the numbness is gone. I hate that numb feeling, but I hate the 'crawly' feeling when feeling is coming back worse!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound weird but I love getting numbed at the dentist. The only thing I hate is when it wears off my chin starts to itch. Annoying!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww! Sorry to hear that.

I hate that numb feeling, and I hate the pain that happens as it works itself out. Unless the cavities are deep and need more than a couple minutes of drilling, I usually don't bother with freezing. You might find it hard to believe, but the sensation of the freezing coming out hurts more than drilling without freezing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Eww! Sorry to hear that.

I hate that numb feeling, and I hate the pain that happens as it works itself out. Unless the cavities are deep and need more than a couple minutes of drilling, I usually don't bother with freezing. You might find it hard to believe, but the sensation of the freezing coming out hurts more than drilling without freezing.
Mine were deep. We use, at my office, this machine called air abrasion and we use it when the cavities aren't deep. Mine were, thanks to parents that never ttok me to the dentist when I was little. I also have to get my wisdoms out soon too

And the crawling feeling is HORRIBLE! My lip is starting to do that and my chin is itching...UGH!

I kept trying to talk to my co-worker after the doctor made me numb and I kep biting my tongue. She said don't do that....it won't hurt now but it will later and it does
And when the doc adjusted my bite, he asked how it felt and I said "Well it feels high but I could be biting my tongue" and he said "Yep. You are."

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made the dentist give me three shots of novacaine once
I don't remember having the pulling/itching feeling though

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I made the dentist give me three shots of novacaine once
I don't remember having the pulling/itching feeling though
I had 5 cavities(thanks to mom and dad never getting me sealants when I was little) 2 on my upper right and 2 on my lower right and one on my lower left.....I actually had 3 shots on the different parts and I actually didn't feel the first 2(Dr. G is good at giving shots and them not pinching) but the last one pinched SOOOOOOO BAD
So anyways my whole lower jaw was soooo numb and now that they are wearing off, my tongue is starting to hurt from biting it

Just curious, where do you go, Katie?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

This might sound weird but I love getting numbed at the dentist. The only thing I hate is when it wears off my chin starts to itch. Annoying!!!
I hate that! My face always itches SO bad aftewards. I've dug holes in my skin before trying to scratch it

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

I had 5 cavities(thanks to mom and dad never getting me sealants when I was little) 2 on my upper right and 2 on my lower right and one on my lower left.....I actually had 3 shots on the different parts and I actually didn't feel the first 2(Dr. G is good at giving shots and them not pinching) but the last one pinched SOOOOOOO BAD
So anyways my whole lower jaw was soooo numb and now that they are wearing off, my tongue is starting to hurt from biting it

Just curious, where do you go, Katie?
I used to go to Dr Gaishauser, I'm guessing that's who you go to as Dr G is much easier to type
but he's not in my DHMO, but I'm actually thinking of switching back from the DHMO so I can go to him again, I REALLY liked him

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I used to go to Dr Gaishauser, I'm guessing that's who you go to as Dr G is much easier to type
but he's not in my DHMO, but I'm actually thinking of switching back from the DHMO so I can go to him again, I REALLY liked him
Actually it's not Gaishauser. I work for Drs. Kramer and Goyette(in The Reserve across from Beuhler's on 18) and I didn't feel like typing out Goyette.....We get any work done for free so it's soooo nice! But I love it. I have heard good things about Gaishauser though.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Actually it's not Gaishauser. I work for Drs. Kramer and Goyette(in The Reserve across from Beuhler's on 18) and I didn't feel like typing out Goyette.....We get any work done for free so it's soooo nice! But I love it. I have heard good things about Gaishauser though.
that is an awesome perk!! I know i have a cavity, but my DHMO dentist made me mad so I never went to get it filled, that was probably a year ago
it doesn't bother me, but I seem to have very weak teeth, i always have a dang cavity, so I'm sure i have at least one other one by now
I'm seriously thinking about getting off the DHMO during open enrollment for my insurance

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not so much the numbness I hate, it's the constant itching that I can't scratch cuz I can't feel myself scratching!! I've even slapped myself in the face to try to get it to stop!
(It doesn't work!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww i'm sorry hon!
try putting a dab of hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip and gently holding it to the spots in your mouth you bit- it will help them heal faster

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that numb feeling too. When I got my wisdom teeth out a couple weeks ago, they numbed it in like 10 spots and it was really weird. The roof of my mouth was numb too...and those needles hurt really bad. I was sitting around with my mouth closed and thinking it felt weird and it turned out I was biting my tongue.