How Did You Get Your First Cat That You Still Own Today?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love polls so I thought I'd make a fun one up. How did you get the first cat in your fur family today?

I picked Enzo up off the farm, one because he was just so cute, two because the tom cat would have killed him off for being a boy.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty was found under some trees in the back garden and lived there for a few months before I managed to win the landlord over so I could keep him.

I still used to sneak him in at night though

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scruffy came from my husband's aunt. The aunt bought Scruffy from a pet store and her dogs wanted to kill Scruffy so my husband took her. When I saw her I fell in love and kept her. Scruffy turns 13 years old this year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha!!!! That is too funny! I'm glad you could keep him Jaffa!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Haha!!!! That is too funny! I'm glad you could keep him Jaffa!
Me too! He`s very special to me now.
The landlord caught me one day though and he was already in a foul mood so he shouted at me to 'GET THAT CAT OUT!'

But a few months later he gave me cat food bowls at christmas and a catflap for my room door for my next birthday

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got our first cat Sliver from a humane society. They told us that this kitten was a male. We didn't know anything since this was our first kitten we adopted together. When we took Sliver to the vet to get fixed, they told us that he was actually a she! Who knew that the person working at the humane society didn't know how to sex a kitten either. Worked out for us since we wanted a female to begin with! We are so lucky to have her!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually he and his sister were dropped off here by their grandmother cat!
I don`t know if something happened to their mother or what....but the neighbor (where they came from) told me that the cat that brought them here was their mother`s mother.
Both kittens were only about 6 weeks old. I took one and our daughter took the other one.
The neighbor is another story (waaay tooo many animals and 6 little girls all in a 2 bedroom rundown trailer down the road. Sad situation)
This grandma cat used to come down here all the time for a handout and some lovins. (They don`t take care of thier animals and don`t believe in getting them fixed either....like I said...sad situation)
Several months later I found the grandma cat on my porch (I`d wondered what happened to her since I had`nt seen her in months) She was next to dead. I found her early in the morning when I went out to wave goodbye to my hubby before he went to work and had to motion him to come back and take care of her. (She was too weak and in too much pain to be taken to the vet to be PTS) She had tumors all over her little body.....I think she came here because she knew we`d "help" her....and we did....the only way we could. I also wonder if that is`nt why she brought the kittens here...because she knew they needed someone to take care of them.
I cried with grief and anger for a long time...in fact it still makes me cry when i think about it.
I`m so glad we have our Toby! She surley made a great decision ...for a cat...when she brought him to us!
Linda
PS....sorry I went on so long!

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My oldest is my cat Jennifer. She's 14 years old. We adopted her from our local SPCA because we thought our other cat Howard needed a friend. Unfotunatly Howard went to the rainbow bridge earlier this year...

When I moved out of my parents house I took Jennifer with me because she hated the rest of my family. She is a one person kinda cat. No one else could even touch her, let alone pet her. She's a snotty old lady. The dogs won't come within 5 feet of her... She the princess of the house and she knows it.

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mew wasn't my first cat, but she's the oldest one I still have. Her mother was given to me by a friend of mine when I was in grade 7. My parents wouldn't let her have a litterbox, so she was indoor/outdoor. Eventually she got knocked up and had three kittens. Mew, Sabre (who my brother owns) and another female that went to my brother's friend. The mother cat wasn't well and collapsed one day while I was at school, after trying to kill her kittens. My parents had her put down (no tests or anything
I still wonder what happened to her. It sucks being a little kid!). The kittens were only 3 weeks at the time.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rescued Gizmo off the streets when he was 6 weeks. His two brothers were rescued as well, which a friend of mine took in and later found them good homes . We would haven't rescued momma cat as well but we couldn't find her.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat was Angel. We actually adopted her from Cat Haven's at Petco.. Then the next weekend we adopted Chessy.. They were friends at the shelter.. According to the lady who watched them.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

My first cat was Angel. We actually adopted her from Cat Haven's at Petco.. Then the next weekend we adopted Chessy.. They were friends at the shelter.. According to the lady who watched them.
Ohhhh that is just so sweet!
How cool to be adopted and then have your best friend be adopted by the same folks! I just LOVE that!
Linda

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pearl is the current old lady of my bunch. My daughter rescued her from an abusive home and brought her to me. She has always been a strange little girl, we think she might have some brain damage from being kicked around as a kitten, and possibly inbred. She was born a barn cat, and the people that owned them were giving them away in front of a Wal-Mart. My sister got Cotton, Pearl's bro, and her sorry excuse for a human being friend got Pearl. Then she abused her because she was "weak." My daughter smacked her around and took Pearl from her.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats over the years have been adopted from shelters. With the two I have now, Sassy was adopted as a five week old kitten. Linus was an adult cat, and I think he was just about a year old when I got him.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bunny is our oldest kitty, she's about 5 or 6 years old now and we found her at the SPCA when we were adopting Pumpkin (who was a kitten). She was 2-3 years old at the time.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley was dumped with his siblings when they were only about 3 weeks old at a roadside dumpster. A nice couple found them and took care of them until they were about 8 weeks old, when they went to the shelter. His 2 siblings were adopted together right away. There were a lot of people interested in Riley, but application after application was turned down. He was in a foster home until I got him at 7 months

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's no "Bought from breeder" option

I selected the "Rescued from Pound" option. I don't know if that's quite right though... Stumpy was at the shelter injured, and I took her in while she was recovering from her injuries, and ended up keeping her.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bob was a stray who fell in with a bunch of ferals. Someone my father worked with at the time had a feeding station for the ferals and noticed him. He was too friendly towards humans and was pretty beat up. He couldn't take in another cat of his own so he asked around and my father volunteered me (before asking!) It took a few weeks to catch him and bring him into the vets to be neutered, and up until the day my dad brought him to me we didn't know much about him. And 2 years later I know plenty

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaz was brought in to my family's vet clinic to be euthanized.
She's inbred, but not so bad off, but her only problem was food allergies and her 'breeder' didn't want to 'waste the time and money on it'.
They talked her into releasing the kitten to them instead, but since none of the employees could take her and the clinic was no place for a baby cat, they convinced me to take her until they could find a home.
That lasted about three days before I told them I was keeping her

That was my first, and last attempt at fostering

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted "other" because Chloe was a "stray kitty" in my moms neighborhood a couple yrs ago. Allthough my mom fed her, her and my sister insisted I take her.

And well.....thats just what happened!
I took her....