TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › WOOHOO Another typhoon is coming.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WOOHOO Another typhoon is coming.....

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I thought it was unusually windy today and then I saw on the news, yep typhoon time again and its definitely supposed to hit my area and most of Japan. they almost all start in Okinawa.

I can't wait, I can't wait
post #2 of 17
sweet!!! take pics if you can, love that stuff!!
post #3 of 17
Gosh! Are`nt you scared????
I know when we get tornado warmings we take the cats and go to the basement!!!
Linda
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampit3d View Post
Gosh! Are`nt you scared????
I know when we get tornado warmings we take the cats and go to the basement!!!
Linda
We do the same thing, I'd be terrified of a typhoon.
post #5 of 17
Id' be scared to death...

Aren't you scared??????????
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza24 View Post
sweet!!! take pics if you can, love that stuff!!
Will do if it comes during the day. Its in Kyushu so hopefully when I wake up, it will be on its way here and not passed me. Its midnight now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampit3d View Post
Gosh! Are`nt you scared????
I know when we get tornado warmings we take the cats and go to the basement!!!
Linda
Scared, scared??? good heavens no, this exciting stuff never happens in NZ. Except last month when apparently 7 tornadoes hit the same area in as many days. Tornadoes in NZ are rare almost to the point, they never happen. Its a first ever or in a very long time.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEGO View Post
Will do if it comes during the day. Its in Kyushu so hopefully when I wake up, it will be on its way here and not passed me. Its midnight now.



Scared, scared??? good heavens no, this exciting stuff never happens in NZ. Except last month when apparently 7 tornadoes hit the same area in as many days. Tornadoes in NZ are rare almost to the point, they never happen. Its a first ever or in a very long time.
Well I'd be terrified because in the UK we don't get them but when we do there only small.
post #8 of 17
Eeeep, what if its dangerous!?!
post #9 of 17
I heard about the typhoon this morning and immediately thought of you.

Enjoying the notoriety?
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Eeeep, what if its dangerous!?!
What if... it'd be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
I heard about the typhoon this morning and immediately thought of you.

Enjoying the notoriety?
Yeah i'm to understand international news has underestimated its size. Its in Kyushu at the moment but we feel the strong winds in Honshu already. Kyushu and Honshu are 2 of the 4 main Islands that make up Japan. its a long way away. But perhaps its not as bad as the last one that didn't even come by our place.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitty View Post
Id' be scared to death...

Aren't you scared??????????
Ummm no, not really. the wind is strong though, had to move all 70 odd plants into a sheltered area. But no, its exciting.

Stop by my place on your way through, typhoon
post #12 of 17
You are so funny! I'd be like hiding in a corner or something!
post #13 of 17
Did you know that a regular typhoon has about the same strength as a tropical storm in Florida? Only a super typhoon can match the strength to rival with a category 3 hurricane. At least that's what I learned while I was in South Korea when I went through 2 typhoons. Trust me, it's not as big of a deal as you think. I lived in Florida all my life and even went through the three major hurricanes that hit Orlando that one year.
You'll be okay! Have fun with it, lol! Just watch out for any random funnel clouds!
post #14 of 17
I live in Florida & went thru those same hurricanes that year...we stayed home & rode it out. I was pretty exciting-I love big storms-but it gets boring after awhile, closed up in the house.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyD1987 View Post
Did you know that a regular typhoon has about the same strength as a tropical storm in Florida? Only a super typhoon can match the strength to rival with a category 3 hurricane. At least that's what I learned while I was in South Korea when I went through 2 typhoons. Trust me, it's not as big of a deal as you think. I lived in Florida all my life and even went through the three major hurricanes that hit Orlando that one year.
You'll be okay! Have fun with it, lol! Just watch out for any random funnel clouds!
That's true. Calling it a typhoon makes it sound a lot worse than they usually are. I went through a super-typhoon in Guam, and it wasn't real fun, but as long as the house is sturdy (and most around there are) and you have typhoon shutters, its mainly just an inconvienence. Normally there's just a lot of cleaning up debris later, but not too much major damage. The worst part is being without power for days/weeks.

Have fun Diego!!
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyD1987 View Post
Did you know that a regular typhoon has about the same strength as a tropical storm in Florida? Only a super typhoon can match the strength to rival with a category 3 hurricane. At least that's what I learned while I was in South Korea when I went through 2 typhoons. Trust me, it's not as big of a deal as you think. I lived in Florida all my life and even went through the three major hurricanes that hit Orlando that one year.
You'll be okay! Have fun with it, lol! Just watch out for any random funnel clouds!
Oh no, shouldn't say that, now its like I've gotten all excited for nothing .


Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
That's true. Calling it a typhoon makes it sound a lot worse than they usually are. I went through a super-typhoon in Guam, and it wasn't real fun, but as long as the house is sturdy (and most around there are) and you have typhoon shutters, its mainly just an inconvienence. Normally there's just a lot of cleaning up debris later, but not too much major damage. The worst part is being without power for days/weeks.

Have fun Diego!!
Actually looking up the dictionary, the really is b*gger all difference between, a hurricane, cyclone and a typhoon. Think your right, they want to make it sound more exciting than just saying unusually strong gusts of wind are sweeping through the mainland of Japan at the moment and so on .

As I had mentioned though this type of thing never happens in NZ so I wanna see. My location has just been issued with a warning, so I think its safe to say, I get to experience this one.

Not sure how big it is, I don't think its a CAT4 like the last one.
post #17 of 17
Oh, don't worry! A regular typhoon is still an experience. Especially if you've never been in a tropical storm. You really get to see the strength of mother nature up close and personal. I had never been through anything like a tropical storm before...only summer storms that were strong but only lasted an hour or so. Think about the worst summer storm, and make that last 24 hours! Even if it isn't very strong, it should still be a good show!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › WOOHOO Another typhoon is coming.....