Frontline Combo

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone here use this?

I got it as the vet recommended it for several reasons. We were using Advantage before with no problems.

But Kitty still has fleas! Someone told me I should take the packet back to the vets and ask for a replacement from anouther batch but I doubt they will do that.

What do you think?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take it back.

I use Frontline, but the original formula. Most vets don't sell it anymore--they usually carry Frontline Plus now. I buy regular Frontline from www.drsfostersmith.com We use it as a preventative. We've never had a flea problem (knock on wood). And we had neighbors with roaming flea ridden cats at one apartment.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the Frontline reg also ... my vet likes frontline cause it is not absorbed into the blood stream ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I would take it back.

I use Frontline, but the original formula. Most vets don't sell it anymore--they usually carry Frontline Plus now. I buy regular Frontline from www.drsfostersmith.com We use it as a preventative. We've never had a flea problem (knock on wood). And we had neighbors with roaming flea ridden cats at one apartment.
Thanks for the link. I will ring the vets tomorrow and see if they have it and what they will do about the other one. There is only one left though.

Originally Posted by sharky

I use the Frontline reg also ... my vet likes frontline cause it is not absorbed into the blood stream ...
Is Advantage absorbed into the blood?

I guess I can ask at the vets but I treated Kitty on sunday and although it says on the pack that you can`t overdose, do you think it`s too soon to treat again?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldnt re treat with out a VET approval... To my understanding yes it is absorbed into the bloodstream

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats scary! I wont be using that again then.

Will speak to the vets tomorrow

G

ghostuser

Does the regular Frontline work better? Or is that just to be using less chemicals? We've got quite a few people in the area right now that Frontline has stopped working for, and since people get it from various vets, pet stores, catalogs, etc., it's not just one bad batch. There must be fleas spreading around here that are immune to it?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Does the regular Frontline work better? Or is that just to be using less chemicals? We've got quite a few people in the area right now that Frontline has stopped working for, and since people get it from various vets, pet stores, catalogs, etc., it's not just one bad batch. There must be fleas spreading around here that are immune to it?
We've never had fleas, and I only use Frontline regular. We use it for preventative care. The Plus is more expensive and I don't need the extra chemicals for ticks. So I honestly can't say if it works better. I just know that when I worked in the shelter, and we had an apartment with neighbors who had flea ridden roaming cats - we never got them while using regular Frontline.
I still prefer it. I don't like the added stuff for ticks since I have indoor only cats.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer frontline plus to regular frontline or advantage. For my dogs- i use Revolution (it combines flea & tick preventive and heartworm prevenative.) I also use Frontline Plus for dogs on the ones at the shelter and LOVE it. Advantage just simply doesn't cut it around here as in the south we have a HUGE flea and tick issue right now. I prefer frontline plus for cats because it works well on both. If you're treating for JUST fleas though- you might consider trying Capstar.

All of my furbabies get prevenative even though they're indoors only- because it only takes a moment of the dogs being outisde to potty to track something in....or me tracking in something from the shelter with me when i come home from work. At the shelter....i've seen the best effects come from using Frontline Plus as far as dogs go- we're talking about dogs that come in with massive infestations of both fleas and ticks. Same for cats.

If you are JUST using advantage though- stop buying the feline advantage and get the Advantage for small dogs under 10lbs. The formula is identical, the packaging is the only difference. Instead of using an entire tube- only apply four drops to the back of each kittys neck. It will protect them against fleas
(not ticks though!) this does not work however for other brands/formulas so only do that with regular advantage.

In a pinch or on small puppies/kittens the best thing to use is just some Dawn dish soap and a flea comb. After the bath then it's safe to use a little bit of Adams flea and tick spray (that stuff works pretty good but isn't the best- on small animals however, it's the safest thing next to just flea combing!)