Raw Diet?

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How so I go about starting it? What is better about it? Are there any catches to it? I am seriously thinking about starting this for my babies
and would like as much input and advice on it as possible!
Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reasearch and find a vet who is knowledgeable or willing to learn or assist you in learning...

www.barfdirect.com they sell raw premades but also have some basics on why and how...

what are you feeding now??? Are there problems>>??

I like raw but IT IS NOT for everyone and some animals SHOULD NOT do raw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
right now science diet and purina...please dont fuss I live in the middle of nowhere we are currently looking into somewhere that sells better branded cat food. Until I came to this site I thought what I was feeding was ok but the more research I do the worse I realize it is! The nearest petsmart or petco is over 2 hours from us
As far as any problems there doesnt appear to be any...I just want my babies on something that is healthy for them

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Evan Walmart carries some better than what your on IMHO ...

Can you online shop???

Raw is MUCH HARDER to do than canned and dry .... plus many of the basic supplements I have to special order or get at a store about 45 minutes away ...

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What brands can I go for at walmart? Money is not an obstacle...as I want to keep them on whatever will keep them healthy!

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will deffinately do that. Thanks sharky!! Mind if I PM you when I need more advice?

mellow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Reasearch and find a vet who is knowledgeable or willing to learn or assist you in learning...

www.barfdirect.com they sell raw premades but also have some basics on why and how...

what are you feeding now??? Are there problems>>??

I like raw but IT IS NOT for everyone and some animals SHOULD NOT do raw
May I ask... What animals should not do Raw and Why?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mellow

That is a loaded question that I will gloss an answer to as I am NOT a QUALIFIED vet this is my reading and experience.... my liver problem dog is now on cooked food as it is better for her digestion... I would use CAUTION with any animal with a known illness be it UTI to CRF to liver issues... Raw can be done butSHOULD be done ONLY UNDER a QUALIFIED VET.... Some animals just dont stomach raw well for an unknown reason

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't like raw - just don't feel right giving them uncooked food. But I have given them a bite or two of raw hamburger when cooking it for spaghetti. They love it; but its only a small amount they are given.

IMO (and this is my opinion) if I'm not eating raw, they are not eating raw

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mellow

Cats that are immune compromised should not eat raw.

My cat Willow got a bacterial infection from eating raw. Everything I read cats that get sick from raw are immune compromised. I learned this year that Willow has asthma and asthmatic cats are immune compromised.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's actually a whole debate on this topic, and thre are anti- raw sites, Personally I think its good as long as you provide reg cat food too. Cats who eat raw are healthyer but they can get diseases from the meat and it can cause a health hazzard to humans. Bt I tihk the sites that a cat cannot degest raw or are too domestcated is BS, We on th ohr hand used to have a second stumoch that would help out early hunter-gathers wth raw meat. The appendex

dizzydesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed raw and my cats have thrived on it. However, I strongly agree with the advice above regarding being under the guidance of a good vet if you decide to pursue it further. Feeding raw requires a good knowledge of balance, it's not just meat they need, it's what the meat is made of. Cats need a certain amount of organ and bone in addition to what we typically think of as meat in the butcher wrapped packages.

I think you can do very well with regular cat food with a bit of research and label reading. You've taken a great step asking the right questions and being open to advice

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dad and a few other people in my life want me to learn more about human food prepration to better myself, This is why I'm thinking about someday making my own food for cats, If I ever live somewhere where there is no good pet food outlet store it might come in handy. I could just do it when I live in a place that has good pet stores all around as practice, For oh say every few months as a fun project and then in process learn food prep skills. ( Of course my dad was meaning for myself, in that I have speical needs and would benefit), but honestly human food prepraton has to be more complex then making a raw diet/snack for cats....right?

We live in a day and age where you can go to the store and buy a pizza premade wont taste as good but hay its food

mellow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

That is a loaded question that I will gloss an answer to as I am NOT a QUALIFIED vet this is my reading and experience.... my liver problem dog is now on cooked food as it is better for her digestion... I would use CAUTION with any animal with a known illness be it UTI to CRF to liver issues... Raw can be done but ONLY UNDER a QUALIFIED VET.... Some animals just dont stomach raw well for an unknown reason
Oh... Yeah... Right I did read that. For a second I thought there was another reason you were hinting at, for a moment.

Kitytize,

I also remember reading that, thanks for responding to my question though.