Why I became a breeder...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that some of you will tell your stories on the how, whys and whats of becoming a breeder and why you choose that particular breed....

Here's my story ...

I have lived with cats all my life and I started making rosettes in 1995 due to my BIL's (he's an equestrian) instigation. At the end of 1999, my little business made the local papers and I was contacted by the local cat club to make rosettes for them. My eldest sister had had already retired from breeding Persians so I thought I knew what breeding was all about. And really, at the time I had no interest in breeding anything!

Intrigued, I attended, by invitation of the club's then secretary, Wilson, my very first CFA cat show sometime in early 2000.

At that show, all I saw was Persians, Maine Coons and a sprinkling of Short haired cats. I also saw my very first Abyssinian. Love at first sight!
I had and still have less interest in Long Haired cats but the Abyssinian was striking! The color, the coat, the cat!
I told Wilson - I want one of those cats, to which he replied, for what? Breeding, showing or pet? I said, pet, not interested in shows and all that...
He said, ok, let me see if I can find you one worthy...

3 months later he calls me and says that he needed more rosettes for another show and I of course made them. And attended the next show...again the Abyssinian called to me...

This went on for quite a while - I became internet sort of savvy and I started doing research into Abyssinians getting mightily confused along the way. Breed standards, color, ethics, color...aaarrrggghhhh! I really didn't want to become a breeder but the Abyssinians!

Then I saw a picture of Bastis The Envelopeplease (Envy). I called Wilson and said, "I WANT that cat!" He said, "you can't have him"!
"If you want him, you'll have to breed him".

And so the search started - I was blessed. Wilson became my guide and mentor to that effect - where to look, what to look for. Since he was familiar with the judges, he got the judges on board and two of them were the Takano's. I didn't know it but they were and are Japan's premier Abyssinian breeders. They gave me Stevie and found me Reecie...

The rest as they say is history....

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a great idea for a Breeder's Corner thread, Adilah!!!

I have been around Siamese cats all of my life. My grandmother was a breeder and my mother had a pair of littermates from one of my Grandmother's litters. The night I was born, there was a horrible blizzard and my mother ended up having to deliver me at home with only her mother, the neighbor lady and Mom's two Siamese cats in attendance.

When I moved out on my own, there was never any choice for me, I found a breeder and purchased my first Siamese kitten, a lovely little Traditional Seal Point girl who became the love of my life. She was my "teacher" kitty, bless her heart and we overcame many of life's challenges together. She lived to be 18 years old and I still deeply mourn her loss.

I became a breeder because when I lost my old girl, I had an extremely difficult time locating a Siamese kitten who looked like the cats I had grown up with ... and I was surprised to learn that they were becoming rare to the point of bordering upon extinction.

I bought my first breeding pair of Siamese cats in 2003. Health issues have forced me to stop breeding at the present, but I hope to be able to begin again when I am feeling better. And I am hoping that Adilah will bring me a gorgeous little Meezer-Honey girl, preferably a Dilute, from Thailand!!!! *smooches to your sweet face-cheeks, Adilah*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tell me when you're ready Gaye ... I'll find her for you!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Just tell me when you're ready Gaye ... I'll find her for you!
*very big smile through tears* Breed preservation is so important to me ... and when it was determined that I had to stop breeding, I was devastated. The morning I took Lexus in to be spayed back this past January, I cried all the way home and off and on throughout the rest of that whole day. I had been preparing for becoming a Siamese breeder my whole life and couldn't get it wrapped around my brain that I couldn't do it anymore. It was such a blow - not only to learn that I was sick, which, don't get me wrong ... that was bad enough all on it's very own ... but to have to give up a lifetime dream too??? How utterly unfair it seemed at the time. *sigh*

The pictures you posted for me recently really confirmed the deal, you know. That second one you posted looks ~so~ much like my old girl. Even the facial expression is similar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

*very big smile through tears*

The pictures you posted for me recently really confirmed the deal, you know. That second one you posted looks ~so~ much like my old girl. Even the facial expression is similar.
I met the owner and breeder of those cats, and yes, they are registered with the Thai registry
Anytime hon, anytime.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

What a great idea for a Breeder's Corner thread, Adilah!!!

I have been around Siamese cats all of my life. My grandmother was a breeder and my mother had a pair of littermates from one of my Grandmother's litters. The night I was born, there was a horrible blizzard and my mother ended up having to deliver me at home with only her mother, the neighbor lady and Mom's two Siamese cats in attendance.

When I moved out on my own, there was never any choice for me, I found a breeder and purchased my first Siamese kitten, a lovely little Traditional Seal Point girl who became the love of my life. She was my "teacher" kitty, bless her heart and we overcame many of life's challenges together. She lived to be 18 years old and I still deeply mourn her loss.

I became a breeder because when I lost my old girl, I had an extremely difficult time locating a Siamese kitten who looked like the cats I had grown up with ... and I was surprised to learn that they were becoming rare to the point of bordering upon extinction.

I bought my first breeding pair of Siamese cats in 2003. Health issues have forced me to stop breeding at the present, but I hope to be able to begin again when I am feeling better. And I am hoping that Adilah will bring me a gorgeous little Meezer-Honey girl, preferably a Dilute, from Thailand!!!! *smooches to your sweet face-cheeks, Adilah*
This is totally off-topic for the thread but.. I had NO IDEA that Siamese were bordering upon extinction!!!!!!!! That makes me SO sad!

I've loved Siamese since I was a child. My parents had one when they first got married, but after a week my mum discovered she was SERIOUSLY allergic and they had to give the kitten back. Luckily, the breeder was a friend and so they kept the kitten with them, not sending him to another family. But anyway, I think spending her life wanting a cat (my mum is cat crazy), and finally having one, only to discover that she couldn't keep him.. I think it really scarred my mum. And every time she tells me the story, it makes me cry. I think, hearing this story from a young age just gave me this Siamese obsession.

Sadly, as I've mentioned many times on TCS, there just don't seem to be many Siamese in Japan AT ALL and I wonder if I'm ever going to be able to find one...

I hope you're able to start breeding again soon!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder but will be in the near future. I am a born cat lover. I attended my first cat show when I was pregnant with my daughter 10 years ago. I saw red Somalis and I was in Heaven. I have always known I was put on this earth to help cats. I did volunteer at a shelter for a year but decided that was not for me. The shelter was quite a distance for me to drive to every week and my cats did end up picking up a nasty URI.

When my daughter started school I didn't know what to do with myself and I decided I wanted to breed Somalis. I could not after those 5 years forget about that breed. I researched Somalis online for 2 years. I read everything I could find and ordered a breeding book. In that time I learned the proper way in starting a breeding program is to acquire an alter to show in premiership. After all my research I decided I couldn't afford to be a breeder.

In 2005 after 2 life threatening surgeries my mom bought me Veeshan, a ruddy female Somali. My mom encouraged me to follow my dream and even helped me get started in showing Veeshan in premiership. We started showing her Feb. 2006. I now have Kingston, a red male Somali and currently showing both in premiership. I can only afford to show once a month but that is more than enough to learn the standard, get to know other breeders, and be involved in the Cat Fancy.

I never thought I would like showing cats. But I am comfortable with it, the cats are comfortable with it, and so is my husband. I believe it was God at work bringing me to do what I was meant to do and that is to help keep the Somali breed alive.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by die_to_xxx

This is totally off-topic for the thread but.. I had NO IDEA that Siamese were bordering upon extinction!!!!!!!! That makes me SO sad!

I've loved Siamese since I was a child. My parents had one when they first got married, but after a week my mum discovered she was SERIOUSLY allergic and they had to give the kitten back. Luckily, the breeder was a friend and so they kept the kitten with them, not sending him to another family. But anyway, I think spending her life wanting a cat (my mum is cat crazy), and finally having one, only to discover that she couldn't keep him.. I think it really scarred my mum. And every time she tells me the story, it makes me cry. I think, hearing this story from a young age just gave me this Siamese obsession.

Sadly, as I've mentioned many times on TCS, there just don't seem to be many Siamese in Japan AT ALL and I wonder if I'm ever going to be able to find one...

I hope you're able to start breeding again soon!
The Siamese as a whole aren't close to extinction. They are a very popular breed because of their unique personality and looks. The traditional type of Siamese that those of us who are a little older grew up with are becoming much more difficult to find. The show style now are a much thinner cat with an extreme wedge shaped head. They still have the unique personality and voice of the Siamese. Many of us still really prefer the more traditional type.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

The Siamese as a whole aren't close to extinction. They are a very popular breed because of their unique personality and looks. The traditional type of Siamese that those of us who are a little older grew up with are becoming much more difficult to find. The show style now are a much thinner cat with an extreme wedge shaped head. They still have the unique personality and voice of the Siamese. Many of us still really prefer the more traditional type.
I too prefer the more traditional type... the extreme wedge shape head can sometimes be, well.. extreme!
Not that it's not still beautiful, but the type of siamese I fell in love with is somewhat different.... Actually, the one siamese kitten I found at a petshop (not one near me so I can't go take a look) seems to be of a more traditional style. But then again, it's a petshop cat so there's nothing to say he/she hasn't been bred with a different breed to give a less extreme look, rather than being pure bred traditional looking siamese.

I;m rambling.. and I know nothing.. so please excuse me..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had gotten started showing cats with my HHP, Mitten (big 14 lb blue ticked/mactabby with green eyes) and fell in love with the Russian Blues at a show.

So I decided to get one of them to show and maybe breed for my first purebred. Kisa didn't like shows (she hated everyone but me) but I wanted one litter from her to keep and show a male. So she was my first experience in breeding. Her son, Cassanova did very well and really loved showing. Unfortunately he developed a coat problem; lost part of his coat and was put on Ovaban. Coat came back in due time, but the Ovaban triggered cancer and I lost him at a young age (less then 5 yrs old).

Then my ex-husband was at a show and wanted a cornish rex for a purebred. So we got a neutered male which Granded very easily. During that time I learned a lot about the breed and wanted to get back into breeding and showing. Contacted the neuter's breeder for a female. Breeder let me have her at 12 weeks old (mistake with CRex) and she stopped eating and died within 2 days. We were shocked, contacted the breeder who blamed us; long story short she would not replace the kitten - we should have done an autopsy on her for proof.

So I contacted a breeder/judge and she had a nice adult female (14 months old) which we bought. Lady had her first litter about 18/19 months old and produced some very nice kittens - out of the 5 litters she had, we kept and showed 3 kittens (all to Grand Ch).

It was fun to learn genetics thru breeding and researching pedigrees. I miss the little kittens, but don't think I'd go back into breeding again. Its a lot of work but also brings a lot of joy watching them grow.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Then my ex-husband was at a show and wanted a cornish rex for a purebred. So we got a neutered male which Granded very easily. During that time I learned a lot about the breed and wanted to get back into breeding and showing. Contacted the neuter's breeder for a female. Breeder let me have her at 12 weeks old (mistake with CRex) and she stopped eating and died within 2 days. We were shocked, contacted the breeder who blamed us; long story short she would not replace the kitten - we should have done an autopsy on her for proof.
Just a question - why was getting a 12 week old a mistake? Do they require longer times with the mother?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, in the case with rexes, they are not ready to go to new home till about 16 weeks old. I think the stress of leaving earlier and travelling so long in the car (from Tennessee to Maryland) was too much on her.

Plus she seemed to have a slight upper respiratory. I was blamed for not taking her in when she didn't eat; but I had had cats before that didn't eat for a day or two. We only had her a short time. We learn from our mistakes

And she was very small for her age. None of my rex kittens were under 16 weeks when they went to their new homes.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh... I started off very young. I was 17 years old when I bought my first Devon Rex. A lovely tortie girl. The breeder told me she'd be glad if I would let the girl at least have one litter since none of the other kittens in the litter was sold for breeding and there were "old classic Swedish blood lines" behind the girl, well worth saving (at least according to some breeders).

Even i f I at the time wasn't thinking about becoming a breeder I started reading up on it. I thought that I at least could check out if I wanted to breed one litter. I read and spoke to a lot breeders (world wide using the internet) and after 2 years I decided that yeah, I was up for it so I contacted the breeder and we started to search for a suitable male. After a year the breeder had bought a nice, red male from solid well known blood and my girl was bred.

Since then I've continued. I'm a small scale breeder so I've bred 3 litters during the last 5 years.

I love the breed and I'm extremely interested in genetics and how to use genetics in order to keep a breed healthy, beautyful AND well tempered. I'm learning more and more for every year that passes by. The cat breeding thing was also the thing that led me to study biology at the university. Even if I don't always wanna admit it, cat breeding is my life.