Help!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and I thought maybe someone could give me some advice

I'm sorry if this isn'tposted in the appropriate column, but I need an answer!!

I walked into my room today, to find my cat drueling excessively and foaming at the mouth.. he's had all his shots, and he's an indoor cat.. so rabies is not an option here.

He is constantly meowing and caterwalling... which he doesn't do. He's being abnormally affectionate, which he normally isn't.

He'll lay down and sleep, but when he wakes up, he'll druel and foam.. which has traces of blood in it, and then he'll lick himself all over his paws, then scratch his ear, then run around going crazy.. then back to meowing excessively..

Could this just be a hairball that wont come out? There is an emergency vet clinic I can take him to, but it's 100 dollars just to see him, plus whatver it costs to get him medicne, x-rays and what not!

If someone could help me, I would appreciate it!!! Even some advice to get him through the night, until I can take him to our vet in the morning!

Thankyou1!!

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im not much of an expert, but is there anything that he could have gotten into. Like any sort of cleaning supplies or any type of liquids or anything he could have eaten?

You definitly should take him to the vet as soon as you can though because this could be something very serious.

Sending good vibes your way.....

keep us posted.

Also Mods can we have this moved to the health and nutrition forum?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there are cleanign supplies he could have gotten into.. I'm going to take him to the emergency vet now!

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stellarkix09

I'm sure there are cleanign supplies he could have gotten into.. I'm going to take him to the emergency vet now!
that is a very good idea. I know that it may be expensive, but if not getting him to a vet may mean losing him, money shouldnt even be thought about.

please, please, please keep us updated!
Hugs for you and your kitty.....

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I just got back from the Vet... She said everything was fine, and his physical was perfect. She said that she doesn't know why he's foaming and drueling, but to keep an eye on it and go to my vet if it persists.

Of course, he didn't foam or salivate the whole time we were at the vet.. then what does he do? Does it on the way home!!

I hope everything is okay with him. I'll just have to keep an eye on him!

Thanks for your help!

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that I speak for all when I say that we are all glad that the vet said that your baby was okay! But we will still be thinking of her. Please keep us updated on her condition. Here's a group hug for you!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he isn't having seizures, and needs a neurological work-up. I'm very surprised your vet just said he seems fine because even though her routine check-up may have looked ok, something is obviously going on that shouldn't be and I'd either ask another vet, or go back and see if she can do more in-depth testing.

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seizures? I have never thought of that!

It's the next day, and he's still doing it. We are taking him to our own vet this afternoon, and they are going to do bloodwork. I wasn't very happy with the emergency vet clinic, having them tell me he's fine, when obviously he's not. It cost me $94 just for the vet to see him, and it probably cost another arm and a leg for blood work.

We're going to get the bloodwork done today, and hopefully they can fix whatever is wrong with him!!

Thank you all so much!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again!

Well we took him to our vet, and sure enough, he's having seizures. He's having them every 30-45 minutes. The vet wanted him to stay the day, and he did.. pumping drugs into him. He's still seizuring though. He had one grand mal seizure at the vet today. They're not sure what it up.. they did blood work and his salt levels are up.. and it makes me wonder if he got into the salt/salt water fishtank that my boyfriend has... She said that salt toxicity can cause seizures, but he's not vomiting.

Please pray for my little guy

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

His name is Duke.

Things aren't looking so good. Within 2 hours he's had 12 seizures, and thats after being pumped with anti seizure medication, through IV.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks!

His name is Duke.

Things aren't looking so good. Within 2 hours he's had 12 seizures, and thats after being pumped with anti seizure medication, through IV.
Bless his heart! Extra and prayers
for Duke and
for you. I pray that he pulls thru this.

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think he's going to make it.

They've given him all the drugs that they can, but he's still seizuring. 12 times in 2 hours lastnight. He's at the vet now.

They have no idea what is causing this! Their last resort is to sedate him for a few hours, to give his brain a rest. If this doesn't help, I have no choice but to send him to kitty heaven

I can't stop crying. This is horrible. I feel so bad, I took on the responsibility of him, and I can't do anything! I cant' afford MRI's and CAT scans because they run 1000-2000 dollars. He's only a year and a half... he doesn't deserve this!! I feel horrible for not being able to afford this for him. And by running all these tests, and keeping him at the vet is just making him stress out and feel worse. I don't want him to suffer anymore..

Please please please pray for my kitty.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad

Hows Duke doing today? I will be praying for you both and don`t be blaming yourself. It is probably something that could not be prevented but you have taken good care of him getting him to the vets when he needed it.

and for you both

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if the vet is doing enough though.

They haven't done x rays or anything... would x rays show tumors? They sedated him yesterday, and my boyfriend stopped at the vet before he came home from work, and he had said he woke up and didn't have a seizure. That is good news. I think they sedated him again for the night, and we have to go there at noon to see what's up with him. Someone suggested that they look for a Shunt? Anyone familliar whith those? Some of the symptoms are relevant... I hope he pulls through...

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - listen, I think no one's explaining something to you and maybe you need to hear it (I'm so sorry!), but anything (person or animal) that has seizured nonstop like that for so long - even if the seizures stop, the brain is not going to be normal afterward, and you may want to consider what your cat will be like afterward (not your cat at all, I'm afraid). I must tell you that if he were mine, I would tell the vet to end things quickly. A shunt will drain unnecessary fluid from the brain following e.g. an accident or something, but it's not terribly relevant to what's going on with your cat. I feel very bad for you, but also for your cat and quite honestly you're not going to 'get him' back anyway.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know if the vet is doing enough though.

They haven't done x rays or anything... would x rays show tumors? They sedated him yesterday, and my boyfriend stopped at the vet before he came home from work, and he had said he woke up and didn't have a seizure. That is good news. I think they sedated him again for the night, and we have to go there at noon to see what's up with him. Someone suggested that they look for a Shunt? Anyone familliar whith those? Some of the symptoms are relevant... I hope he pulls through...
If they haven't done an MRI or CT scan,or a spinal tap,there is no way of knowing whether a shunt would be needed. I don't think a regular xray would show a tumor. I know this has to be so hard for you...and him too. Just follow your heart...you will know what to do. Whether it's letting him go,or taking him back home....you will know.

Originally Posted by Larke

Hi - listen, I think no one's explaining something to you and maybe you need to hear it (I'm so sorry!), but anything (person or animal) that has seizured nonstop like that for so long - even if the seizures stop, the brain is not going to be normal afterward, and you may want to consider what your cat will be like afterward (not your cat at all, I'm afraid). I must tell you that if he were mine, I would tell the vet to end things quickly. A shunt will drain unnecessary fluid from the brain following e.g. an accident or something, but it's not terribly relevant to what's going on with your cat. I feel very bad for you, but also for your cat and quite honestly you're not going to 'get him' back anyway.
Even though that may be "harshly" true...miracles do happen!

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
prayers for you and Duke..

as i understand, vets simply dont know what it is...maybe you should login to ICQ, try to find any vet online and ask for advice (what tests to do etc)..good luck!