Is He Bengal?

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i told you Troy found a kitten in the parking lot of his job and brought him home
. He looks SO MUCH like a bengal! I looked it up and he looks like he's 7-8wks old and a Silver Marble Bengal kitten. The face, and he has a silver coat and oval shaped black markings, not to mention black spots on his tummy. He's also got the energy and a bit of the aggression of a bengal
. Even if he's not i'll tell hubby he is lol
.. he wont let it go. But i'm just wondering because he doesn't look like a brown tabby, to me anyways? Here are pictures, there not the best but i have more, and can take better one's.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to burst your bubble but he IS a brown classic tabby mixed breed. I don't see Bengal. Brown tabbys range from black/brown markings with a "cold" undertone to the warmer red-brown color that you think of as being brown tabbies.

I prefer the warmer colors over the cold brown. He's a nice little kitten with some pretty markings (good butterfly markings on the shoulders). But no Bengal.

And tabbies have belly spots too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i know its not just me seeing bengal in him, i sent pictures to the lady we were going to buy a registered one from. She said he looks a lot like one of her kitten's, face and marking wise. Just because he's a possible stray she said doesn't mean he isn't a mixed bengal. Maybe i should get a few example pictures up? Of other bengal kittens, because i really think he does lol. Also its not my bubble your bursting its my husbands.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he could be a bengal mix. It's hard to see in the photo but it looks as if he's got tri coloured classic tabby markings. I.e the outline of the markings is darker than the inside which is a bengal trait.

If it's the bengal type of rosetting lingering on in him you'd expect it to get stronger as he gets older. I.e the colour getting paler on the inside of the markings to give more of a tricolour look.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some different pictures of my classic brown tabby markings.
this one was taken at 5 weeks old.

Shot with uD600,S600 at 2007-08-02
this one at 15 weeks old.

this is a male we have.

another of ours.

yours sure does look like a classic brown tabby. but who knows what mix he might have in him. but he will be classed as a DSH brown tabby.
all of ours have the spotted under tummy.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMGOSH Tasha, I know I have said this before but having seen these pics of your Sophie is it?, not just in your signature, but in these pics......SPITTING image of my Shiska...I can't believe it...they must be twins !
Lovely coloring on them dontcha think hehe

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah he has similar markings, but the face is "totally" different, he has a thin like kind of Egyptian face? I look it up and a lot of Bengal's have the thin looking faces. But it doesn't matter, I was just curious. I guess this means I have to go buy Troy a Bengal lol. IMO i think he is tabby/bengal, but who know's. Thanks everybody

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals are not supposed to have thin faces. They're not the thin and elegant type of cat. They're very athletic and muscular.

They're supposed to have small ears and a noticable muzzle with prominent whisker pads.

Here's the bengal standard that describes things in much better detail: http://www.ticaeo.com/Content/Publications/Pages/BG.pdf

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, your kitty doesn't look like a Bengal, that doesn't mean your kitty is any less precious though. Your kitty is adorable and is a beautiful tabby cat.

I have 2 Bengals, 1 spotted (Simba) and 1 is marbled (Angel) . That said, I'm no expert on Bengals and the standards, but I do know what a Bengal looks like. If your kitty were a Bengal, it would be a marbled Bengal, and the markings aren't correct for the type of marbling a Marbled Bengal has. I believe what you have there is a domestic short hair, classic tabby.

Face wise, Bengals have really dark lining around usually huge eyes, and a light area below the eyes, making the eyes stand out even more. Bengal eyes are very unique. They should have small round tipped ears, although not all Bengals do have the round tipped ears.

Bengal paws should be black, and the Bengal nose should be a brickish shade. Their fur should feel more like a mink coat or something, and not like other cats. Also their fur kind of glows in certain lighting, at least mine do.

Anyway, I think your cat is adorable, but I don't see Bengal when I look at your cat.

heavenblest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, the way u can tell if its a bengal is by the personality, when some one knocks on the door the cat will be the first there, they are fasinated by water they fetch they like to be up high on ur furniture, sleep under the blankets when its cold and there coat is like mink (soft as) to touch because its a pelt not fur. Thats just a few things. Pictures some times dont show the real thing and if u live in australia as i do it must be micro chipped which u can check at the vets. I breed bengals and my queen has just had a litter with 2 marbles 2 spotted.
Julie

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heavenblest

Hi, the way u can tell if its a bengal is by the personality, when some one knocks on the door the cat will be the first there, they are fasinated by water they fetch they like to be up high on ur furniture, sleep under the blankets when its cold and there coat is like mink (soft as) to touch because its a pelt not fur. Thats just a few things.
Ha ha!
That sounds JUST like my cornish rex!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heavenblest

Hi, the way u can tell if its a bengal is by the personality, when some one knocks on the door the cat will be the first there, they are fasinated by water they fetch they like to be up high on ur furniture, sleep under the blankets when its cold
Sounds just like my Sphynx.

That cat does not look like a Bengal to me. But the kitty is a cutie

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree that you can tell if a cat is a bengal by it's personality. Many cats have the capabilty of exhibiting all the personality traits that are common to bengal cats.
There are even some bengals that exhibit anti-social behavior. That doesn't mean they're mixed with another breed or any less "bengal".

The only 100% guarantee you have that your cat is a bengal is to have the registration paperwork and a pedigree.
Beyond that only educated guesses can be made based on appearance, with personality playing a role as well.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what question I'd like to see someday in the forum?

Is my cat an AMERICAN SHORTHAIR?

Then we'll be really scratching our heads to answer!

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its ok if he's not bengal not a big deal at all. I was just interested in knowing what people thought. I can stay content with him just being a classic tabby. But my husband really wants a bengal and i told him he was lol. I have to many cats some times its best to spread a little white lie. The only way i said he can get one (a pure-bred) is if he gets rid of a few of the kitens from the litters. He said no, so no bengal, some times you got to spring out the tough love lol. But thanks everybody.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet told me that Pepper was a Bengal mix, and she is a beautiful girl, but probably not a Bengal. I think the vet may have been trying to make her more attractive to a potential home. She has some physical traits that resemble a Bengal, but the only thing that matters to me is tht she is a sweet baby and a total lovebug.