Errr... How 'catchable' Are Fleas?

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was helping my friend move today, and of course had to spend time with her new kitty. The second I saw the kitty I thought she looked a bit sickly but thought maybe it was just from the stress of the move. She jumped on my neck and I never even thought she might have fleas since she is only three months
She was only on my shoulder for maybe a minute or so.

After my friend said she had to go to the Pet Valu to get something, and when I asked her why she said her cat had FLEAS!!

So, do I have fleas now? Would they have latched on to me in those few minutes. I'm worried about giving them to my furry babies.

Signed,

Paranoid.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's quite possible that a few fleas hitched a ride home. Are your babies on flea meds? If not, I would highly recommend it. Fleas can carry diseases to cats, including tapeworms and haemobartonella (which is a blood parasite that can cause anemia). My indoor cats occasionally get fleas from my bringing them in from the outside (even without being around infested animals--they like to live in bark dust and other outside areas) so I keep them on flea medicines (Advantage, Frontline or Revolution) in the warmer times of the year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey no they aren't on any meds, they NEVER go outside, not even by accident. Strictly indoor.

I took a shower as soon as I got in. I'll monitor them and go pick up some shampoo and drops if I notice anything I guess. Bah!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine never go outside (except in a crate when they go to the vet) but apparently I've brought fleas in because they get them occasionally anyway. Fleas like to hitch a ride on our clothing (particularly socks).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes its possible to take them home. What I would do is to look carefully on your clothes. Then as soon as you get in the house, strip down and put all your clothes immediately in the washer and wash them with hot water. Do not do anything else - no petting cats, etc.

I'd check your cats over the next few days and flea comb them for about a week.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sassy from experience I think it's easy if the flea infestation is severe. Just keep watch, and if they start itching, I would do a pest bomb of your house and get the cats a couple of Capstars. Capstars are pills that kill any and all fleas within half an hour of being ingested, and they also kill the eggs. One of my babies was rescued from the woods and he was absolutely covered. It was horrible, but I tell you ever single one of those things were gone.

I have a HORRIBLE flea story with a happy ending. I was STUPID and let my boyfriend's cats hang out in my bathroom while he bombed his house for fleas. His old roommate's dog had brought them in and they were everywhere. He said there weren't anymore on his cats, but there were. His place was so bad that they were jumping around on US! It took a while, but now all of our cats are flea free. Whew!

I would recommend getting some Revolution or something to treat them with once a month or so, just to be sure. Sometimes those little stinkers can get in your house! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well my cat has fleas. I found one on Sassy, and I'm sure my other cat and dog have them as well.

I've never dealt with fleas before, I'm just angry my friend let her cat crawl all over me without telling me she had a severe flea infestation.

I just called them and they told me it was so bad at their old house they had fleas biting their ankles........

BF is on his way to the Walmart right now hoping to god its still open so we can get the spray/powder for the house, flea comb, flea shampoo, and the treatment itself.

The cat sleeps in our bed all the time... on the couch... etc.... how do we clean THESE places? Also, we have hardwood floors, not carpets.

*sigh*

Thanks for the help.

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh also, we obviously cannot go back to their house until they properly deal with the infestation? They finally bought some stuff, but it is just the treatment you put between their shoulder blades, nothing for curing the house of the eggs.

We were invited for poker this weekend.... don't think so.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sassy42

Well my cat has fleas. I found one on Sassy, and I'm sure my other cat and dog have them as well.

I've never dealt with fleas before, I'm just angry my friend let her cat crawl all over me without telling me she had a severe flea infestation.

I just called them and they told me it was so bad at their old house they had fleas biting their ankles........

BF is on his way to the Walmart right now hoping to god its still open so we can get the spray/powder for the house, flea comb, flea shampoo, and the treatment itself.

The cat sleeps in our bed all the time... on the couch... etc.... how do we clean THESE places? Also, we have hardwood floors, not carpets.

*sigh*

Thanks for the help.
Whatever you do,do NOT use any flea treatments, powders, or shampoo from Walmart!! They can poison your pets! You can bathe them in Dawn dish liquid until you can get to the vet and get meds that are safe and really work. Please be careful with any sprays that you use in the house...they can also be dangerous.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sassy42

oh also, we obviously cannot go back to their house until they properly deal with the infestation? They finally bought some stuff, but it is just the treatment you put between their shoulder blades, nothing for curing the house of the eggs.
The stuff they put between the shoulder blades, if it is Frontline, Revolution, or Advantage, is actually the most effective and safest form of treatment. While they could use vet-approved sprays on their carpets and furniture, they have to be able to remove the pets from the area being treated, which isn't very easy. The best thing they can do is vacuum daily or every other day and change out the vacuum bag each time (or the fleas just jump back out.

A less toxic way to to kill the fleas on your furniture (less toxic to your pets that is) is to use diatomaceous earth. You can sprinkle the stuff on the furniture and then vacuum it up.