When to let go? Very Sick Kitty

tortie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 16 y.o. sweet kitty who the vet thinks has lymphosarcoma. She's got a large tumor in her abdominal cavity and another one around her heart. They did not run any bloodwork when I took her in, just x-rays, and said that the prognosis is grim and that we can bring her in at any time to be pts. In the last few days her condition got progressively worse. She's lost a lot of weight and is now pretty much only skin and bones, although she's had a very good appetite up until today... She's still using her litter box, but is extremely weak and cries a lot
and is not grooming herself anymore, so we have to clean her up everytime she eats or drinks anything. Right now she's just laying on the floor with drool coming out of her mouth and is looking so pittyful

It breaks my heart to see her in this condition, but am struggling with the decision to have her be pts... When is it really time to let her go? I wish she could talk and just tell me, you know? I'm 9 mo pregnant on top of that and I know I'll be bawling all the way to the vets office, while in there and on the way home, but don't feel right just sending my DH and not being there myself...

This cat has been the sweetest and the wisest I've ever seen and I will miss her terribly!!!

camille eonich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a personal decision but ask yourself how you feel about her quality of life and if it were you in her place when would you want to go?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m crying myself...REALLY I am.....and it`s hard to type with tears in your eyes...i`m sure you know that.
No one can tell you what to do....but I can tell that you really love this little furbaby and you will make whatever decision you have to and do what is best for your beloved kitty.
it`s so hard to watch someone suffer that you love, especially when you know that the outcome is going to end up sad.
Please post back so we know what is going on with your kitty and with your new baby that will be here soon.
Linda

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Aww poor kitty, it really is down to you, think about the great life you have given her, and how that compares to how she is now.

Listen to your vet, he knows best, spend some time with her, make her a special dinner and hug her lots! make sure someone goes with you to the vet, dont go alone, because you will need lots of hugs your self!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is always a hard decision. You know your cat the best. If she is really in pain, and isn't her normal self, then it may be time to let her go. When she is pts she will feel no more pain. She may not be with you physically anymore but she will always be with you.

But this is a decision for you to make because you know your cat. I tear up just thinking about it... Just make sure you love her as much as possible before shes pts. When it is time to let her go, it will be the right decision.

We always said when one of our cats passes away, that someday we can save another cat that needs a home. We know our cats would want that.When we have to make that hard decision, no matter how hard and sad it is, we want to be there so they see our faces before they leave this world.

Best Wishes to you! Please keep us updated!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Linda, I have tears in my eyes reading this. If you've had her all 16 years of her life then you have a bond that is very special. Just think about her. It would be wrong to prolong any suffering because you can't bear to let her go. From how you've described her it sounds as if her quality of life has seriousely deterioated. Does she seem to be crying out of pain? I think the most loving thing you can do for her if she is as bad off as you say (not moving, cleaning or eating) would be to be take her to the vet and be there with her telling her how loved she is and alwasy will be while the vet helps her move on to a better place. Know that my heart is breaking for you! I couldn't imagine having to make that decision (though I'm sure I will have to eventually) but it must be even harder 9 mo. pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all!!!

Just talked to DH... we'll wait till tomorrow morning to make an apt for probably Thursday afternoon... or Friday... He'll probably take her to the vet by himself.. I'm a sleep-deprived, tired and emotional wreck right now with three booked client appointments for tomorrow which I have to take care of before this baby comes...

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully everything goes well with you & your baby, and that have an easy delivery!
Please update us when you can!
Best Wishes!
We'll cross our fingers for you!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you won't be able to be with her but I'm sure your husband will be a great comfort to both you and your kitty. I wish her a swift and safe trip over the bridge when the time comes.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See if your vet will make house calls for the final moment. Many do. This is tough decision for you, but based on your posting you are making the right call.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

See if your vet will make house calls for the final moment. Many do. This is tough decision for you, but based on your posting you are making the right call.
Wonderful suggestion.

When we had to let our Simba go, I held him in my arms and whispered my love for him through my tears as the vet gave him his final release from pain.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich

It's a personal decision but ask yourself how you feel about her quality of life and if it were you in her place when would you want to go?
I agree w/ Camille's sentiments...

Making that decision is never an easy one, but I think that if you look into her eyes, you'll see the answer there. Maybe our babies can't tell us in words, but their eyes say a lot.

If you can't be w/ her when the time comes, take her in your arms, and spend a special good-bye w/ her. She will "understand", and will know she was loved.

I'm sorry for your loss..

KittKatt

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Wonderful suggestion.

When we had to let our Simba go, I held him in my arms and whispered my love for him through my tears as the vet gave him his final release from pain.
I am glad you posted this. Many people have a fear or aversion to being with their beloved animals at this most crucial time of need I have finally been able to get my parents to be there and they now understand what a bond and kindness this act really is.

The last thing they know is your love and release from pain and suffering.
With our rottie who we lost in February. He had spend his last 24 hours at the vet in acute kidney failure, vet didn't think he would make it through the night. He said he would keep him alive ONLY if he was not suffering too much.

Though he should have been comatose, He was so happy to see us in the morning. We got him loaded into the back of the Durango, on my lap, all 120 pounds of him. He was happy, feeling safe and thinking of home, when he passed. he would never have made the 2 hour drive home, he was so ill I couldn't believe he could get up. Sweet boy.

It was a blessing and a part of closure for my parents that they never would have had if they didn't take the chance on being with him. they were frightened, and thought the process would be traumatic and not peaceful.

Tortie, I know the heartbreak you are feeling. We all are very different in our way of coping with things so this may not be the right thing for you. I do want to suggest though you consider being with your kitty when it is time for her to pass. It is very peaceful. They get sedated first, like anesthesia , they feel nothing and it very very quick. I mean within seconds for such a severely ill kitty.

It will not heal your sense of loss from her not being in the physical world with you any more. But it will give you a tremendous sense of peace for knowing you have stopped her suffering a long slow death.

Whatever you choose, please know I am sending lots of loving vibes your way. My heart is breaking for you.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree w/ the others' sentiments. It is difficult to be w/ your baby when the time comes, but it is also the most loving & kindest thing you can do for them b/c they know how much you love them when you're there to end their suffering. When I had to have Foxy put to sleep due to in inoperable/incurable brain tumor, I held him in my arms the entire time, until he was gone. It was a heartbreaking experience, and needless to say, I cried the entire time, but I was also glad I was "there" for him. He somehow knew what was going on, and was grateful: I could see it in his eyes. To this day, even though it was a heartbreaking experience, I still don't regret being there w/ him through his final moments. He didn't suffer any - he just went to sleep. I'll cherish my final moments w/ him forever.
:

KittKatt

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to make this decision for Rascal some time ago. She was really suffering and the vet said she could survive but he could not ease her pain. I felt that I would be selfish if I kept her with me and decided to think of her pain and suffering. It is never an easy decision and you need to do what is best for your baby.