We must smell to our cats...

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was sitting on the chair with Chessy.. She likes to take her higher archy spot on my blanket when we watch tv, and I had my feet out of the blanket.. She goes up and smells my feet,, and does this thing with her nose, kind of like a smell of disgust.. and I caught it.. I laughed out loud, and she looked at me, so she must had been in a smelling mood because she started sniffing around, and kept making that face.. The funny thing was I took a shower earlier..

Has your cats ever made those faces to you?? She did that to my little girl too.. Just shrug up a face or a smell of disgust.. It's the funniest thing,, I can never get a picture of it.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a far better sense of smell than you or I do.
Whether or not they enjoy or dislike the way a certain object or person smells probably depends on the individual cat.
Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree.. I just find it funny the face she makes.. I wish I could get it in a picture. It's actually really hillarious..

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris makes that face after sniffing Ginger's bum.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat's actually have smell receptors on the roofs of their mouths so sometimes, to get a better "taste" for what they are smelling, they make what's called the stink face. It doesn't mean what they are smellng is bad... I want to post a pick but I'm not sure if the images are CR so here's a link to a bunch of stink face pictures...
http://www.flickr.com/groups/95325237@N00/

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Cat's actually have smell receptors on the roofs of their mouths so sometimes, to get a better "taste" for what they are smelling, they make what's called the stink face. It doesn't mean what they are smellng is bad... I want to post a pick but I'm not sure if the images are CR so here's a link to a bunch of stink face pictures...
http://www.flickr.com/groups/95325237@N00/
Forgive me if someone has said this already, but isn't that the Flehmen (sp?) response, where they use a specified type of smelling/tasting tissue in their mouths? I think it's one of the ways they track each other in the wild.

Bella & Stan will both do this occasionally, usually in response to someone's butt
, I have also seen this face made when "fresh" sweaty workout clothes are thrown in the hamper (or in DH's case on the floor)...

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! It's funny when I clean the house & I get out the can of Pledge to clean the woodwork, I don't even have to spay it yet... Horatio SEE's that can and gives that *squinty* >stink< face & backs off and runs out of the room.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Forgive me if someone has said this already, but isn't that the Flehmen (sp?) response, where they use a specified type of smelling/tasting tissue in their mouths? I think it's one of the ways they track each other in the wild.

Bella & Stan will both do this occasionally, usually in response to someone's butt
, I have also seen this face made when "fresh" sweaty workout clothes are thrown in the hamper (or in DH's case on the floor)...
That's exactly what I was talking about... I just couldn't remember the real name for it. Makes sense that they do it over sweaty clothes... they are loaded w/ your scent.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im suprised after the cats going after my roomates stinky boots after work, that they have ANY smell recptors left!!! it seems the stinkier the better, weirdo kitties!!!

gemini_n_hobbes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lmao I know the face you are talking about! Gemini makes it all the time. She will be smelling my b/f dirty clothes and makes this face lol. It's the silliest face she makes hehehehe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

LOL! It's funny when I clean the house & I get out the can of Pledge to clean the woodwork, I don't even have to spay it yet... Horatio SEE's that can and gives that *squinty* >stink< face & backs off and runs out of the room.
That face is literally priceless.. I absolutely love that squinty face.. You see her teeth and everything.. Cracks me up!!!