Please tell me this is NOT for real!!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's really sad... People are like that though.. They just don't care about animals.. They have no respect for the creatures.. They just use them until they no longer have a need for them, and then they either kill them or get rid of them.

People are morons.. Plain and sadly true...

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly this is a common problem with horses. They're expensive to keep and people see no further value in them once they're old or lame. You can always find a "free" horse. They're a dime a dozen. It's a problem that many horse owners/industry types have worked to try to correct. Great headway has been made particularly in the racing industry to place ex-racers in new homes. Some racing trainers even cross-train their racers in the event that they move out of racing and into a home. Fortunately, many in that industry can afford to do so. Riders and fans of horses like myself have to keep working to encourage people to either take care of their animals or simply not get them in the first place.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

That's disgusting. My Mom cares for our family's 31 year old Arab who isn't ridable anymore. I couldn't imagine posting something so disgusting.
I agree.. I find it tasteless the way he posted it non the less.. Why even say horse meat.. Why not free loving horse, needs a forever home, but not ridable..

People are mean idiots.. really.. cruel and idiots.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then fry up the bacon, Meagan!

The idea of a horse being put down or killed for meat is horrible, but the guy has a point. Even if the post gets flagged, the horse still dies.

Ehhh...isn't horse meat is tough anyway?

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

To play devil's advocate... what if this ad were for a pig, cow or chicken?
It would still be horrible.. I think the manner and his attitude are why it's soo bad.. Why couldn't he say,, good home for pig,cow or chicken.. Ya know.. When they taped that Charlotte's Web, they found home for all the piglets they used to film them, why can't it be the same for the animals.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it's a little disturbing but at the same time, as the poster said, the horse will be PTS if not re-homed. I know I eat meat everyday and I usually don't give the animal a second thought. IF the horse were to become dinner it would most likely be killed humanely (if such a thing exists). Like I said, I don't necissarly agree with it but I can see both sides.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is quite irresponsible. I can`t see why he/she doesn`t just have the horse put to sleep.

I`ve heard stories about old horses being sold/given away as companions for other horses only only to find the person is either working the horse or has sold it on as fit. Unfortunatly not many people will want the expense of an un-ridable horse.

When I worked with horses, any that were no longer fit for work were put down on the premisses and taken away for meat. The owner of the yard had to pay the knackerman to take the body away but at least they knew their loved horses were not being sold on and ending up god knows were.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why doesn't it surprise me that the original listing was just there to ruffle feathers.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I`m confused.

Isn`t it used for pet/animal food also?
Not in the U.S. Here it is exported for Europe and I thought I read somewhere it is also a delicacy in Asia. There are also horse theft rings that steal them and sell for kill prices. They transport them in horrendous double decker trucks. And if they don't die on the way, they are slaughtered. I can't imagine what the kill yards are like, but I've read the stories on some Arabian horse (and other) rescue sites.

I know they just declared it illegal to slaughter in Illinois, which is where (I think) 2 of the plants in the U.S. are. The plants are not owned by Americans, but foreign companies.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see the ad, it's been removed from the listing.

On eating horses though in my native country people eat horses all the time, or well foals mostly, the older horses are too stringy and aren't nice to eat.

Basically the horse breeders breed more foals than they need so they can select out the best ones and then slaughter some of the extra ones, it's been going on like that for hundreds of years.

Most horse people who own horses back home also eat horse meat without a second thought, I've even been on a horsetrip where we were riding 8 hours during the day and then at the end when we finally reached the farm they had a horse meat BBQ.

Having grown up with all that I don't find it strange to eat horses, they're big herbivores just like cows and deer. Horses are lovely creatures but so are cows and pigs. It seems rather hypocritical to be happy about eating beef but not wanting any horses to be slaughtered for food.

However any animal should be slaughtered humanely and treated well while they're alive.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Not in the U.S. Here it is exported for Europe and I thought I read somewhere it is also a delicacy in Asia. There are also horse theft rings that steal them and sell for kill prices. They transport them in horrendous double decker trucks. And if they don't die on the way, they are slaughtered. I can't imagine what the kill yards are like, but I've read the stories on some Arabian horse (and other) rescue sites.

I know they just declared it illegal to slaughter in Illinois, which is where (I think) 2 of the plants in the U.S. are. The plants are not owned by Americans, but foreign companies.
Why have they made it illegal?
Live export is an aweful thing for any animal. I would have thought they would make that illegal so they are slaughtered then the meat exported.

I know things are different over here and this was 10 years ago but my boss had to pay the knackerman to shoot and remove the body of the horse. They weren`t paid anything for the meat.