How to keep it from getting even more ruined?

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So hubby and I bought a sleigh bed a couple of years ago before the cats were in the picture. Problem is that while we are sleeping they like to jump up there. This wouldn't be a problem if the edge headboard had a nice level surface to jump onto, but it's not. It's like a slope. So what ends up happening is lots and lots of claw marks all over our pretty bed and the ripping sound of cat claws through wood while we're trying to sleep. Not a pleasant noise to wake up to. So now that our poor headboard is all marred up, I'm thinking about what I could do to keep it from getting worse and keep the claws-on-wood noise from happening. I was thinking maybe purchasing a board and covering it with nice fabric to put on top of the head board, but then I'm stumped on how to actually attatch it and it still be level. I've also thought about just wrapping our headboard in thick batting and attach some kind of cover over it. I just can't figure out exactly how to do this in my head. Any ideas or suggestions would help! Thanks!

Oh, and I almost forgot. Here is a pic of our bedroom set. I know it's kind of hard to see the bed, but it gives you an idea.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wish i had some advice, but i KNOW your pain. I have the same problem. They think the bed is a amusement park, and race course when im tryin to SLEEP, and it drives me INSANE!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a gorgeous bed! Have you tried just draping a pretty blanket or quilt over the top of it?

After my cats ruined an antique wooden foot board many years ago, I bought a new wrought iron headboard/footboard. That was my simple solution.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clip nails and use the nail caps. Never dawned on me they would use the headboard for a scratching post.

I've seen those beds - they are cool

Our bed has an old fashioned iron headboard that we spray painted. Was a dark green (which we do not like) and we repainted it dark red.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft Claws........... There worth the investment, and the cats don't even know the difference.. AT first they might chew on them,, but they get over them quickly..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Clip nails and use the nail caps. Never dawned on me they would use the headboard for a scratching post.
They don't exactly use it as a scratching post, but in order to avoid falling off the slope the walk on it with their claws fully extended. Then if they loose their balance, that is when the damage is done.

I know soft paws would be ideal, but considering their price and considering that is the only problem we are having that has to do with their claws, I'm kind of looking for a crafty way to cover it up or use a plank of wood that's covered (to make it look pretty!) so they can walk with more stability.

I just kind of thought of something... maybe I could buy a big think blanket from the salvation army, construct a duvet type cover for it and some how secure it to the head board in the back with velcro! Oooh... I think I might be on to something.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have room to put a bench or something at the end of the bed? Then they don't have that enormous height to jump and perhaps it will be easier on them in the long run.

You could drape a blanket over the end as a deterent for jumping up there. This wouldn't work though if you have cats that are determend to get up that route.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could make a heavily padded slip cover. If you stitch both sides shut and make it cover the entire height of the head board you won't have to worry about securing it as long as it's snug fitting.