Dogs & crates....behavior?(Pics included)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gotta question, Sadie loves to be in her crate....how can I tell if it's for "security" reasons or because she was crate trained? I'm just wondering if I should let her be in the crate whenever she wants to be, or if I should get her out & make her a part of the family, get her used to family life?

I just wanna help her adjust to a larger family life as much as possible before she has to go back to the shelter.....that way, she'll be more adoptable!

She's starting to warm up to being here....she chased a cow hoof around & was sorta playing. Very puppy, it was great to see her relaxed. Coco hates her, though, & she's petrified of Coco.
She also found a Kong with some Peanut Butter left in it....she llloooovvvveeeesssss Kongs filled with peanut butter, apparently! She's had a few today....I think she's in heaven!

I will just hide in here

OK, fine, I smile for the camera too!

After I re-filled a Kong just for her, her very first Kong!

I pounced on Da Hoof ma!

Apparently it's much easier to chew like this

Still chewing...

Tackling it!

There's that puppy bum in the air!

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would let her be in her crate as much as she wants. It gives her somewhere to feel safe while she watches the comings and going of your house. My rescue rott was never in a crate before we got her, as she was a yard dog. She loved her crate instantly and spent a great deal of time in it. There were a lot of changes to get used to, so it gave her somewhere to go if things got a bit overwhelming.

She looks like she'll be fine once she gains a bit more confidence. She is very cute!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so cute,,, she likes the crate,, it's her safety spot.. I know my dogs liked there crate alot.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That pic of her smiling would e a great ad photo.

What's the deal with her and Coco?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gomer

I would let her be in her crate as much as she wants. It gives her somewhere to feel safe while she watches the comings and going of your house. My rescue rott was never in a crate before we got her, as she was a yard dog. She loved her crate instantly and spent a great deal of time in it. There were a lot of changes to get used to, so it gave her somewhere to go if things got a bit overwhelming.

She looks like she'll be fine once she gains a bit more confidence. She is very cute!
I totally agree. You have a busy house!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I totally agree. You have a busy house!
Very busy at the moment.

Originally Posted by pushylady

That pic of her smiling would e a great ad photo.

What's the deal with her and Coco?
Coco is an "Ice Princess". She is a tempermental, snotty, little brat.
She likes the obnoxious dogs, but I think she suspects Sadie is "taking her place". So, she barks/hackles up/growls at Sadie, who looks at me confused & just leaves Coco alone.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she probably just likes being in her crate.
Some dogs LOVE it! just leave the door open so she can go in there when she wants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

she probably just likes being in her crate.
Some dogs LOVE it! just leave the door open so she can go in there when she wants.
That's what I've been doing. I do shut her in the crate sometimes(like when I'm gone).....they are such resoursceful training tools!