Whats going on??? HELP ME!!!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok this is kind of a blend in with my spraying thread. I mentioned that we found spots thinking Diego was getting ready to start spraying, because it smelled like semen.

Well I just caught Ryu vomiting in Neko's toilet an it was like a custard yellow. And as it was absorbing into the litter it started to look like what we had found on the floor.

:censor::censor::censor: is going on with my cats now??? Its not possible to get him to a vet for 2 reasons 1 I have no transport and 2 my normal vet is not open in the afternoons, only for doing operations/surgery not consultation.

Ryu is sitting next to his water bowl looking very unwell.

I have to go to the city but I hate to leave him.

Please offer advice.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The yellow stuff is stomach bile, and yes - it's pretty nasty smelling.

Did he get too hot or maybe eat something he shouldn't have? How many times has he thrown up already? Once or twice on an upset stomach is understandable, but if he keeps getting sick he needs to get to a vet soon.
For now make sure he is drinking. Is there another vet you can take him in to see while you're in the city?

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it's bile, it's coming from the small intestine. Bile is secreted from the gallbladder into the small intestine and shouldn't be backing up into the stomach. I know that in humans, if you're vomiting bile, it's because you're wretching so hard that it's allowing the bile to get through the sphincter at the base of the stomach.

Definately get him to a vet if it doesn't get any better.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, stomach acid. Some people call it stomach bile as a sort of slang, even though that isn't exactly the correct term.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The yellow stuff is stomach bile, and yes - it's pretty nasty smelling.

Did he get too hot or maybe eat something he shouldn't have? How many times has he thrown up already? Once or twice on an upset stomach is understandable, but if he keeps getting sick he needs to get to a vet soon.
For now make sure he is drinking. Is there another vet you can take him in to see while you're in the city?
The poor bugger is always hot, I thought just due to the weather, the other day we had such a heatwave he was sweating. Now I'm to understand that cats sweat out their paws and tongue but Ryu was sweating all over. My hands were dry and as I was patting him that day, his fur was getting wet from his skin.

Not sure he's eaten anything, bad coz there nothing for him to get at.

How many times, well if its not Diego making the messes on the floor, then in the space of 12 or so hours the count is 7, I've only witnessed it once.

I didn't have time to get him to the city, I missed my first bus to a meeting coz I saw him vomiting, I had enough time to make this thread then had to jet.

Originally Posted by heavenangels

Either way it doesn't sound good. Is Ryu drinking any water and how is he doing now
No appetite, no drinking water, I immediately gave him jellymeat with water added to get him to drink. His skin does not snap back immediately, theres a 1-2 second delay.

How is he now? looks absolutely miserable and I have no idea where any other vets are. he will have to wait til morning to see the vet. He's got a little energy.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Make it 8 times now, I was just lucky enough to walk into the next room to find him gagging about to let it all out over the floor. Got him in the toilet.

Sh*t this isn't good is it, does anyone know what I can do to soothe him until the morning before he pukes to death???

I don't know what to do for him. Vet not possible I'm sorry people, but I'm sure you must understand what its like being helpless, with no access to vets.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wish i could offer some advice, here. but all i can do is hope that everything is ok for Ryu,

is there anyone around that you can ask for help in finding a vet?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there an ER vet you can call for advice, even if you can't actually bring him in? If not, do you have any Pepcid AC (it has to be the old fashioned kind, not the newer Pepcid Complete)? It may help soothe the stomach for tonight. The dosage depends on the weight of the cat--see the information near the bottom of this link:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...cid/page1.aspx

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i wish i could offer some advice, here. but all i can do is hope that everything is ok for Ryu,

is there anyone around that you can ask for help in finding a vet?
No one I can ask unfortunately.

Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Is there an ER vet you can call for advice, even if you can't actually bring him in? If not, do you have any Pepcid AC (it has to be the old fashioned kind, not the newer Pepcid Complete)? It may help soothe the stomach for tonight. The dosage depends on the weight of the cat--see the information near the bottom of this link:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...cid/page1.aspx
I don't know of any ER vets. I have no idea what this pepcid is and whether I can get it here.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend from NZ just phoned me, must have been fate coz its quite late there. Anyway first thing I asked her to do for me was to call a 24hr vet where she is.

All I can do is leave the kitten with a bowl of water, no food.
Then try feeding him a teaspoon or wet food in the morning and see what happens.

I forgot to have her mention to the vet that there has been no chunks in the vomit just the yellow fluid (bile)

Of course without being able to see Ryu they can't give a diagnosis and it could be 1 of 100 things so be prepared, should he not make it through the night.

So now I ask more fervently than ever for all your vibes and prayers that he won't slip into a permanent sleep tonight.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepcid's the brand name of an acid reducer. The generic name is Famotidine. I don't know where you are located, so I don't know if it is available near you. In the US, it is sold in grocery and drug stores.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that it has only been fluid makes me think something is maybe blocking his stomach? Maybe a hairball, or he ate something he shouldn't have?

Poor baby...I hope you can get him to a vet.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

The fact that it has only been fluid makes me think something is maybe blocking his stomach? Maybe a hairball, or he ate something he shouldn't have?

Poor baby...I hope you can get him to a vet.
The other day he started eating Diego's dry food, I had been feeding Ryu wet only until he packs some meat onto his bones an I can no longer feel his ribs or spine, but then he refused to eat his wet food (looks like crap anyway)

So I kept feeding him dry but I noticed sometimes he doesn't chew the biscuits but swallows some whole.

This i sthe only explanation I can think of, but I really would have expected to find 1 pool of vomit with whole biscuits.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You want to keep Ryu hydrated, since he's vomiting so much. There's a recipe for homemade pedialyte here: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html
Don't just put it in a bowl - you're going to have to force Ryu to drink it using a syringe (without the needle), turkey baster, spoon, or whatever you can find. If there's a chemist open near you, you can get a syringe there.

Good luck to you and Ryu!

camille eonich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has he been eating grass? If so then he may have a piece hung up somewhere. Also it could be a hair ball that's trying to come up.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

You want to keep Ryu hydrated, since he's vomiting so much. There's a recipe for homemade pedialyte here: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html
Don't just put it in a bowl - you're going to have to force Ryu to drink it using a syringe (without the needle), turkey baster, spoon, or whatever you can find. If there's a chemist open near you, you can get a syringe there.

Good luck to you and Ryu!
Would you believe me if I told you that baking soda has to be bought from a specialty shop over here and that we don't have any? I sh*t you not. I have a feeder for when Diego was on liquid meds so am thinking of force feeding him plain water. Do you think I should use some salt and sugar too?

Originally Posted by Camille Eonich

Has he been eating grass? If so then he may have a piece hung up somewhere. Also it could be a hair ball that's trying to come up.
Nah indoor cat and no grass around here, I wish it was something as simple as that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Would you believe me if I told you that baking soda has to be bought from a specialty shop over here and that we don't have any? I sh*t you not. I have a feeder for when Diego was on liquid meds so am thinking of force feeding him plain water. Do you think I should use some salt and sugar, too?
I don't think it'll hurt to try the recipe without the baking soda. A pinch of salt will help him retain water, and the sugar will add calories. Do anything you can to get him through till morning,