Wedding Dresses

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I had an interesting conversation over dinner tonite (in Applebees). Guys get to rent tuxes for their weddings. Why do the brides have to buy their wedding gown since they only wear it one day and its stored in the closet till they sell it (or pass it on to a daughter)?

SOOOOO I said "they should be able to rent a wedding gown of their choice for the weekend" - like the tux.

I told him that I think a lot of women might rent rather then buy. He says no cause women don't want the women in the next block to have the same dress as she picked out.

So I told him I'd post a poll - would you rent a wedding gown or buy it just to wear it one time? Why or why not (with your answer).

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the reason wedding gowns aren't typically rented is based on the virtue that they're white and extremely difficult to clean. They get VERY dirty over the course of a day.

I had my wedding dress dry cleaned after I got married, and it still had bits of dirt on it (the bottom of it was filthy by the end of the day). I guess I would have considered it if I were strapped for cash and could find one that looked nice. However, when I got married, I didn't even think of the possibility. Ended up buying a brand new $800 dress for $125 off of e-bay!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I could have rented, I would have! The only problem I see with that is dresses are so much harder to fit than a suit. There are so many alterations that need to be done to most wedding gowns. If the sleeves of the tux are a little long, no big deal. But, if a wedding gown is a little long, it could be a disaster! And, I doubt it would be easy to put a temporary hem in a wedding dress that could be let out for the next bride that wore the same size but is 5 inches taller than the previous one.

So, let me rephrase my answer...I would rent IF I could find a dress that fit me perfectly!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd rent, if I were planning on wearing a wedding gown.

(First off, I should explain. I call him 'DH' on this site because it's just easier to type out, but really, we're not married yet. Just engaged.)

But I'm not a fan of the whole gown/big wedding/fancy invitations/hall/3 tiered cake/dj with a chicken dance obsession type of wedding. We're just having some family and friends over for like a BBQ in the backyard... considering a costume party on halloween... haven't decided yet. Eh, there's no rush. We'll get around to it.

So if I were to do the big wedding that required a gown, I'd surely rent one.. or at least buy one from goodwill or something. I really don't see a reason to spend all that money on a dress for one day. Actually, I don't see a reason to spend that much money on clothing, ever... for any reason.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wayyyyy to sentimental about my wedding gown for that. Now if someone had the same dress I wouldn't care too much, but the actual dress is different to me.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are stores that will rent out wedding gowns. At least I remember one in college. Perhaps though it was a costume shop that had many bridal gowns...

Anyways, I guess if the price were right and the dress was what I wanted to wear then certainly. However I think the costume shop wound up costing just about the same.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I'd rent, if I were planning on wearing a wedding gown.

(First off, I should explain. I call him 'DH' on this site because it's just easier to type out, but really, we're not married yet. Just engaged.)

But I'm not a fan of the whole gown/big wedding/fancy invitations/hall/3 tiered cake/dj with a chicken dance obsession type of wedding. We're just having some family and friends over for like a BBQ in the backyard... considering a costume party on halloween... haven't decided yet. Eh, there's no rush. We'll get around to it.

So if I were to do the big wedding that required a gown, I'd surely rent one.. or at least buy one from goodwill or something. I really don't see a reason to spend all that money on a dress for one day. Actually, I don't see a reason to spend that much money on clothing, ever... for any reason.
I agree with you totally! Me and DH got married at my work in jeans, I had a nice black v neck sweater, he had a long sleeve polo and it was nice! I didn't have to worry about anything it was peaceful the whole thing. Now IF I were to need to wear a wedding dress I would rent.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd rent if the dress was clean and fit me properly. My dress was cleaned twice after the wedding day and still had dirt stains at the bottom.

The dress would have to be pretty good material to be able to actually clean it properly, so it's probably not worth it for stores.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my ex-sisters-in-law rented her dress. Good thing, the marriage lasted about a year
The gown came in two pieces but looked like a single dress. There was a skirt and a top. Not sure if I can find photos or not, will look.

I remember it as looking nice enough

IF IF IF I ever get married (highly unlikely) I wouldn't wear a traditional gown. It would be something unusual but tasteful

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once worked with a young woman who would wear her wedding dress to work on Halloween (if it fell on a day during the workweek, some people would dress up for it). She was quite a joker, BTY. At least she got her moneys worth out it
!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The girl who grew up across the street rented her gown. So there are gown rentals.

As another person who is unlikely to get married, if I did, I'd also wear something useful.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It think Target and JC Penney are selling less expensive dresses.
Back in 1985 I spent alot ($575) on my dress. I'm kind off hard to fit so rentng (which wasn't available) wasn't an option. However if someone wanted to borrow my dress I wouldn't have a problem!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd totally be willing to rent a wedding dress EXCEPT that I'm going to "trash" mine and I couldn't do that with a rental.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have. The dress I did buy was a formal, but not a "wedding" dress. It was white, I've seen many wedding dresses 8x as expensive in the same style.

One of these days I have to get mine cleaned to donate to one of those prom dress programs.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think renting a dress is a great idea!!!
If only I would of done that 7 yrs ago!

My dress has just been hanging up since our wedding.
I never did get it cleaned and put in a box.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`d make my own....then no one would have one just like mine.
I`ve altered and made a good many wedding dresses in my day....but never got to wear one myself.
I got married in a pink suit dress and used to wish that I could have had a big wedding with the fancy gown and all.
When our oldest daughter got married I made her gown...(she was just about my size)...so after the wedding reception, while her Dad was still in his rented Tux, the plan was that I would put on her gown and we would have our picture taken together....just for the fun of it.
At the recpetion someone spilled red punch all down the front of her! So that plan was out! (I honsetly think she was more upset that we were`nt going to get to have the picture taken than she was that her gown was ruined! Bless her heart!)
Anyhow....pink suit or wedding dress....our marriage has lasted for over 41 years....so guess it really does`nt matter that much what I was wearing. :-)
Linda

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I would have. The dress I did buy was a formal, but not a "wedding" dress. It was white, I've seen many wedding dresses 8x as expensive in the same style.

One of these days I have to get mine cleaned to donate to one of those prom dress programs.
If mine comes clean after the trashing I'll probably donate it too (it was only $250).
Originally Posted by stampit3d

When our oldest daughter got married I made her gown...(she was just about my size)...so after the wedding reception, while her Dad was still in his rented Tux, the plan was that I would put on her gown and we would have our picture taken together....just for the fun of it.
At the recpetion someone spilled red punch all down the front of her! So that plan was out! (I honsetly think she was more upset that we were`nt going to get to have the picture taken than she was that her gown was ruined! Bless her heart!)
Anyhow....pink suit or wedding dress....our marriage has lasted for over 41 years....so guess it really does`nt matter that much what I was wearing. :-)
Linda
Aww... that's too bad. You could always renew your vows for your 45th or 50th and go all out then!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are places that rent gowns! You just have to look for them. In bigger cities or bigger stores they rent out dresses. You should Google it and see if there are any near you!

altrego

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would want to save my dress. To me, a wedding is your special day and everything about it should be about the person or whomever's wedding it is. I'm probably a future Bridezilla.