Quick -- anybody who knows something about allergic reactions to Augmentin?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in agony for the past week with some girly trouble and finally got in to the doctor today, was given Augmentin, took it about 1:00... I expected the feel a little nauseous, and I do... but I also feel short of breath, and my blood glucose has dropped like a rock, down to 76 -- I only checked it because I feel so shaky and weak and panicky, as I do when it's low, but it shouldn't BE low, based on what I've eaten today...

I did speak to the pharmacist and he said I was having an allergic reaction and should go to the ER in case my throat is about to close up, but the breathing trouble doesn't seem to have to do with blockage, just the panic feeling and shakiness... and I can't afford to go unless I really really have to, so... is anyone familiar with this kind of reaction? Advice would be appreciated...

I did eat some cheese and bread to try to bring my sugar back up... waiting for that to kick in...

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken augmentin many times, but have never had any allergic reactions. Maybe someone will be able to come along and know a little more about it. If it gets really bad, please go to the ER! I hope you feel better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you -- yes, I took it once, too, 18 years ago during my now-infamous bout with pneumonia... and now I know why it only made me worse! My lips and eyes are puffing up... I wouldn't have noticed, except that I don't look like myself. But my hands are shaking less now.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you start to have ANY signs of breathing difficutly, call 911..Severe allergic reactions are nothing to play with...drink plenty of fluids to try to "flush" as much of the medication out of your system as possible..your reaction this time may not be as bad as if you were to take it again(which I would never recomend doing..ever...). I hope you start to feel better soon, and keep a close eye on your glucose..eat more protiens and carbs for now...

You may want to call your Dr. and ask if taking a Benedryl may help.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Monica... no, I don't plan to take this stuff again! But drat, here I sit with $60 worth of medicine I can't use. Fluids, tha't's a good idea! I'll go get some water.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my folks are here, and Mom could drive m if she had to, at least until it gets dark. But I think I may live... my glucose is up six points and I'm not shaking so much.

Amazing how nice it is to have you guys to talk to! Thanks for being here.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!!
to you!!! I would be getting to the hospital, if it were me.

I have never had any allergic reactions to any meds so I dont have much advice, my sister did have one once and it sent her to the ER!

to you!! Let us know what happens please.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much... this is the first time I've KNOWN that I was having an allergic response to something, so I'm really taken aback. I'm breathing better now, though, and I think I'll go lie down a bit. Thank you all so much for your help!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you start to notice red dots all over the place you need to go now! My mom has severe allergic reactions to penicillin or anything in that family. It is not something to play around with.
See if you can take the meds back to get a refund since you are allergic. It's worth a try anyway.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my! I hope you are feeling better! I'm allergic to Minocin, but it didn't give me that kind of reaction so I can't offer any advice. (I got hives and stuff.)

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just reading this now. I hope you're feeling better! Any swelling in the face/neck area, especially lips, is really a go to the ER sort of thing, but that's easy for me to say, sitting here in Canada with OHIP. If you're feeling better, just keep a close eye, I guess, for ANY increase in swelling or breathing difficulty. Did you take any benedryl? After this, they may give you an epi pen, which I would feel better if you had right now. A shot of epi gives you enough time to get to the ER if your throat does start to close, which can happen fast.

Let us now how everything is going, okay?

(ps ha ha infamous lol)

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know for me the side effect of augmentin was either diarhea or a rash, I forget which, but am not sure of the symptoms you are having. Is it possible you were bit by a bug, or ate something that might be doing this?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carol - don't mess with this. I'm allergic to penicillin and have had the reactions to it. Keep posting so that we know you are OK.

I found this web site that talks about Augmentin:

http://www.drugs.com/augmentin.html

From the site:

What are the possible side effects of Augmentin?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have diarrhea that is severe or lasts longer than 3 days, or if you have nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Keep taking the medication and talk with your doctor if you have any of these less serious side effects:

* mild diarrhea, gas, stomach pain;
* nausea or vomiting;
* headache;
* skin rash or itching;
* white patches in your mouth or throat; or
* vaginal yeast infection (itching or discharge).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm alive!
Bless you all for your help and concern, it means the world to me. I'm much less shaky and nervous now, and breathing is okay... but some other side effects have appeared, including some pretty bad facial swelling, chills and fever (chills! I'm never cold!), and the abrupt gastric distress described on that site. in 1989, I swear, it must have been a race to see which would kill me first, the pneumonia or the Augmentin they gave me for it!

Listen... I will not soon forget the kindness of those who posted here, especially those with reason not to be too fond of me lately. You're all very special.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would seriously still think about taking a Benadryl, if I were you and you can take it! You need to get that swelling down before you go to sleep. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I am really concerned about you and this bad reaction! I'm glad you are breathing better, though. I am just worried that the swelling may move to your throat, if it is not going away, but still getting worse...

I have take Augmentin many times, and never had any side effects except the runs
. I did have this reaction to Gentamyacin one time, but thankfully I was already in the hospital. I had to go off the -myacin drugs for several years and I still have to be really careful with them now.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, you're not going to like this, but if your facial swelling is getting worse instead of better, you need to go to an ER.

Good news? Say the words "anaphalactic reaction" and you'll likely be ushered to the back at light speed. You're looking at a lovely shot of antihistamines, a few hours of monitoring and a swift kick out the door (I've been through this with my boyfriend a year or so back...but we don't know what caused his reaction). Possibility of some steriods.

Facial swelling is really a red flag symptom when it comes to allergies. The treatment at the hospital is not a big deal, but getting there if your throat suddenly starts closing is. If you had an epi pen to buy time with, you could wait it out, but you don't...right??? I'm not trying to scare you, but allergic reactions are very unpredictable. I say go (before you have to drive in a less than perfect state
lol jk).

Seriously, though, I'd go get the shot because it'll resolve your symptoms the most quickly and the risk is pretty big to just ignore, since if it gets worse time is a factor (as in, you won't have enough).

Hope all goes well for you.
Leli

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

but some other side effects have appeared, including some pretty bad facial swelling, chills and fever (chills!
Listen girl: You make sure that someone is watching you throughout the entire night. When I had my allergic reaction to penicillin, it took a few days for the full allergic reaction to develop. If your face is swelling already and you took it at earlier today, you could still be in the build up stage of the reaction. If your face is swelling, your throat could swell and you will stop breathing.

Either you stay up and keep the phone by your side, or have your mom check on you all night. If you get any signs of breathing issues, call 911. Don't drive to a hospital, call in the emergency.

Now, take a deep breath and don't get hyperventilating about this post. Please take this very seriously!!

(Mom says)