Urgent may euthanize tomorrow

pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old orange mail tabby came home last night very sick. He has otherwise been very healthy. It has been really hot here and he disappeared for 2 days, not usual behavior. When I did find him in my yard last night he was weak, wobbly, meowing out loud while staring into space. His eye were dilated completely and generally limp to my touch. Refused water and food, except for a few licks from a can of tuna. I looked after him and 4 hours later, he wet our bed and slept in it. He NEVER does that.

This morning some improvement. I thought heatstroke, perhaps chased up a tree for a couple days, but the vet says possibly one of two things. Feline Leukemia or Parasite in the blood. He gave him fluids, needle under the skin. The cat is very pale, ears are cold, nose is not pink but rather colorless.

We are not in a position to spend lots of money on our pet. Especially if it's leukemia. Blood work etc will cost me close to $300. One neighbour says to just nurse him back to health but he doesn't look good.

Ideas???

TIA

Pony

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pony,

Please see if there are any other options besides euthanizing. Ask the vet to split up the bill into payments. You can also apply for care credit. Do you have any loved ones that would help you out? Don't give up on him, he's your child! I will pray for him, and keep us updated because I really think he can be nursed back to health. If the vet finds out he has leukemia, I understand, but try all you can for now.

I encourage you to read about this little kitty who made it!

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135846

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow that was a fast reply, yes I'm rethinking the appt. Going back and forth like a game of pong.

I surrendered him to he Vet for the night, full blood work tomorrow and IV Fluid. I'll wait till tomorrow afternoon to get him to make sure he's "filled up" on his IV bag. Then wait untill Thurs AM for results. Will go from there.

I owe him that much at least.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pony

Wow that was a fast reply, yes I'm rethinking the appt. Going back and forth like a game of pong.

I surrendered him to he Vet for the night, full blood work tomorrow and IV Fluid. I'll wait till tomorrow afternoon to get him to make sure he's "filled up" on his IV bag. Then wait untill Thurs AM for results. Will go from there.

I owe him that much at least.
It sounds very much to me as if he has ingested some sort of poison, maybe a plant or ??? The blood work will hopefully show something "fixable". Please do not end his life! He is young and his life is precious, as much so as any human's life. THANK YOU for listening to the advice and for reconsidering.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I pray your kitty gets better. I know vets can be expensive but I'm glad to hear you're doing what you can. Good vibes for kitty.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending for a easy or managable fix

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The paleness sounds like anemia--he will need treatment to get better and tests to determine the cause of the anemia in the first place. I would look into Care Credit, www.imom.org, and other possible funding sources to get him the tests and treatment. Your local humane society may have additional resources as well.

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope it turns out to be nothing major. It sounds like might be some kind of poisoning? Or maybe even severe dehydration?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

The paleness sounds like anemia--he will need treatment to get better and tests to determine the cause of the anemia in the first place. I would look into Care Credit, www.imom.org, and other possible funding sources to get him the tests and treatment. Your local humane society may have additional resources as well.
THANK YOU for that link! What a wonderful site and what a truly great resource for those in need. I've bookmarked it and hope everyone else will, too! You never know when you might come across someone who needs a resource to save a precious life.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m praying for your kitty too....what is his name?
I hate this kind of stuff....we all do.
I hope the vet can help and that he`ll be much better by tomorrow.
Linda

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't give up on your baby just yet! He's still young, and hopefully has a looong life yet to live. I almost gave up on Winchester, who has been fighting the FIP virus, but now I'm soooo happy I didn't. After months of antibiotic treatments which weren't helping him, my vet put him on Interferon, and he is now in remission. They can almost perform miracles these days with medical technology.

I can relate to you regarding the money issue, b/c we are struggling financially ourselves now, but maybe your vet can set you up on a payment plan. We've probably spent over a thousand bucks in the past few months due to Winchester's FIP, but thankfully, our vet let's us make payments. Some vets will when you establish credit w/ them, or will take a post-dated check. See what your vet has to say...

I am sending good vibes your way for you & your baby!

KittKatt

P.S.
Thanks to whoever it was who posted the link to that wonderful website! I intend on checking it out further.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your advice and well wishes. Unfortunately my buddy didn't survive the night in the Vet. I was told he had a few siezures that night too. Don't know what he died from it since blood work would not bring him back I chose against the expense just for an "answer" that came too late.

Chin up though, he had a charmed life.

Thanks again

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for all your advice and well wishes. Unfortunately my buddy didn't survive the night in the Vet. I was told he had a few siezures that night too. Don't know what he died from it since blood work would not bring him back I chose against the expense just for an "answer" that came too late.

Thanks again
I am SO sorry to hear that. Quite devastated, actually. This has been The Day From Hell for me, and your news is so sad. My sympathies go out to you and I know you tried to do everything you could. Often these things are just mysteries.

It is heartening to know you loved him and that he had the good time he did have with you.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks again
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby *hugs*

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pony, I am SO so sorry to hear about your little one. I gave you a star, reminding you that your kitty is now a star in the sky shining down on you. There are lots of homeless kitties out there that would love to be your companion. If you think you are ready, a new kitty would help heal your heart.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Pony, I am SO so sorry to hear about your little one. I gave you a star, reminding you that your kitty is now a star in the sky shining down on you. There are lots of homeless kitties out there that would love to be your companion. If you think you are ready, a new kitty would help heal your heart.
...sure do appreciate your thought and hope that when ready, Pony will take it to heart. I know that her sweet little one would want her to pay tribute to his memory by rescuing another deserving and sweet cat!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry you lost your little man. From my unfortunate experience once, it sounds like perhaps he ingested something like anti-freeze.