Neighbor Cat Problem

skoshkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment complex, and a neighbor has two indoor/outdoor cats, one of which is particularly outgoing. Before we got Sophie, this cat would always come up to us for a pet, completely unafraid.

We never noticed before we adopted Sophie, but apparently this cat (Max) likes to hang out on our patio under the BBQ when he is outside. Just a few days after we adopted her, Sophie saw Max right outside of our glass patio door and had a fit. Her hair raised, she hissed and made loud, deep moaning noises, the whole nine. We didn't know what to do, so we sprayed the cat with water to try to get rid of him.

Well, he continues to frequent our patio, and Sophie still reacts the same way every single time (she is an indoor only cat, so she has no real interaction with him). And now, she even attacks the glass door with a great deal of force, probably hurting herself in the process. Whenever he comes around we open the door to scare him off, but we don't know what to do about the situation. Now Sophie spends a great deal of time in front of the patio door, just waiting for him. And he seems equally interested in her because he comes around nearly everyday and has even tried to get in the apartment through the front door when we are coming or going.

What should I do?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skoshkie

I live in an apartment complex, and a neighbor has two indoor/outdoor cats, one of which is particularly outgoing. Before we got Sophie, this cat would always come up to us for a pet, completely unafraid.

We never noticed before we adopted Sophie, but apparently this cat (Max) likes to hang out on our patio under the BBQ when he is outside. Just a few days after we adopted her, Sophie saw Max right outside of our glass patio door and had a fit. Her hair raised, she hissed and made loud, deep moaning noises, the whole nine. We didn't know what to do, so we sprayed the cat with water to try to get rid of him.

Well, he continues to frequent our patio, and Sophie still reacts the same way every single time (she is an indoor only cat, so she has no real interaction with him). And now, she even attacks the glass door with a great deal of force, probably hurting herself in the process. Whenever he comes around we open the door to scare him off, but we don't know what to do about the situation. Now Sophie spends a great deal of time in front of the patio door, just waiting for him. And he seems equally interested in her because he comes around nearly everyday and has even tried to get in the apartment through the front door when we are coming or going.

What should I do?
Is there any way you can put up a barrier so that she won't be able to see him? On a glass door, you could try taping aluminum foil going up high enough so that they can't see one another. Let us know how it works, if you try it...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skoshkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the idea! I might have to try that.

Any other ideas?!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A visual barrier is the best way; when they can't see one another, they won't be bothered by one another's presence. You may have something other than foil that you prefer to use; just make sure they can't see each other!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is your cat neutered? Is the neighbor cat neutered? If not, that could be worsening the reactions.

If they are already both fixed, then I'd just let it go. Eventually they will get used to each other... when I introduced my cat to the complex, it took about a year for the pecking order to get reestablished. He was scared, and there was some fighting through the glass, in which both sides would bang on the window. Now watching them out the window or sniffing for them under the door are some of his favorite activities... It adds some mental stimulation to his day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skoshkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cat is neutered. I'm assuming Max is, as well, since what I know of his owners is that they are very responsible cat owners (besides the whole outdoor cat thing).

Emmylou-If I just let it go, how should I react to Sophie when the other cat comes around? Should I just ignore her and let her do her thing or should I diffuse the situation and shoo the other cat away?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NOT keep opening the door to shoo him away, and in fact would ignore his presence 100%. You are giving him attention that keeps him coming back (well, now Sophie does too). I think if you just pretend he's not there from now on Sophie will get over it (bored, if nothing else, though I can't see that it hurts her and may give her something to do), and Max will eventually leave if he gets nothing more out of it than a look at Sophie.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'd let your cat do her thing and ignore her. She's being territorial, which is just a cat thing. If you don't shoo the other cat away, they'll have more chance get used to each other and just work it out.