Bit me again

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night when I was in bed Popsie got all riled. I didn't try to pet him because when I do he bites from being all excited. All I did was lay there and I was talking to him and he lunged at my arm again and bit me. He doesn't let go right away either. What is with him. Maybe he's getting fruity from being old?

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my fiances cat does this to me. he has done it his whole life. It is so weird cause it hurts his feelings if you act like your in pain sometimes and others he just wants to bite at you more. hehe

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Last night when I was in bed Popsie got all riled. I didn't try to pet him because when I do he bites from being all excited. All I did was lay there and I was talking to him and he lunged at my arm again and bit me. He doesn't let go right away either. What is with him. Maybe he's getting fruity from being old?
Sounds like he could have been abused or traumatized before he found you. Try to be patient with him, give him his space, and let him come to you. Let him know he can trust you by being gentle, quiet, and slow in your movements around him. Given time, hopefully he will come to know he has nothing to fear with you.

Another possibility is that he has pain somewhere. Has he had a checkup recently? You might want to have one for him if not, just to rule out anything clinical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Sounds like he could have been abused or traumatized before he found you. Try to be patient with him, give him his space, and let him come to you. Let him know he can trust you by being gentle, quiet, and slow in your movements around him. Given time, hopefully he will come to know he has nothing to fear with you.

Another possibility is that he has pain somewhere. Has he had a checkup recently? You might want to have one for him if not, just to rule out anything clinical.
Well, I've had him for 16 years. I got him when he was eight weeks. I'm pretty sure he's not in pain. It's something to do with him getting riled up. That is the only time he will bite me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I've had him for 16 years. I got him when he was eight weeks. I'm pretty sure he's not in pain. It's something to do with him getting riled up. That is the only time he will bite me.
Sixteen? He could have some hip dysplasia or arthritis. Does he seem to move stiffly? If not, he could just get overstimulated, or, at sixteen, just not want to be touched. Glad he's been with you for so long! Nicolas T. Cat is our eldest at seventeen plus, and he does have stiffness, but he doesn't bite unless there's FOOD around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Sixteen? He could have some hip dysplasia or arthritis. Does he seem to move stiffly? If not, he could just get overstimulated, or, at sixteen, just not want to be touched. Glad he's been with you for so long! Nicolas T. Cat is our eldest at seventeen plus, and he does have stiffness, but he doesn't bite unless there's FOOD around.
I haven't noticed any stiffness. I think he does just get over stimutaled because it only happens when he's he been riled up and running around. Plus, it's dark in the room because it's bed time and I know his night vision isn't what it used to be.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I haven't noticed any stiffness. I think he does just get over stimutaled because it only happens when he's he been riled up and running around. Plus, it's dark in the room because it's bed time and I know his night vision isn't what it used to be.
So there you (probably) have it. I wouldn't worry. Quite a few of my cats get fangy from time to time -- I take it all in stride, and as a matter of fact, since most of 'em are love bites, I actually like 'em. Those that aren't, I may well deserve, as most of 'em come from Baby Su, who I'm sure has her reasons.