are hookworms contagious?

mrspotts66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i apologize for asking a probably much repeated question. i need an answer fairly quickly and google was not my friend today.

mil's dog was just to the vet - hookworm. she's staying with the dog at my house. the cats are basically separated from the dog. do i need to worry about my girls getting hookworm? ie: from their own blanket that he took over? from the carpet wherever he's been laying?

i hope this isn't a silly question.
thanks for your help!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unless your dog is hunting and killing rodents and squirrels and stuff, what makes you think your dog has them? Are you thinking of tapeworm? Tapeworm comes from ingesting the fleas and the tapes would be left behind in the bedding and things if they were really bad. But those tapeworms will most likely be dried up and dead or dying. It is earier to get tapes unless, like I said, your animals are hunting and eating rodents outside

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oops! I missed that whole part about the vets diagnosis of the hookworms.

Anyways, no I don't think you have to worry. If they are seperated you should be fine.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a search in this forum and this link was posted in a previous thread:

Some worms, like roundworm and hookworm, are transmissible from pets to people. All pets should be checked by a veterinarian at least once a year and given worm medication as directed to eliminate this potential health hazard.

It appears hookworm is contagious so talk to your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrspotts66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks. my MIL has to call the vet for the results fo the dog's bloodwork this morning. i'll have her ask if we need to worry about the dog's hookworms being contagious and if we should treat the cats for hookworm as a precaution.

thanks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrspotts66

thanks. my MIL has to call the vet for the results fo the dog's bloodwork this morning. i'll have her ask if we need to worry about the dog's hookworms being contagious and if we should treat the cats for hookworm as a precaution.

thanks.
Asking a vet is always a sensible decision to relieve one's mind.