My neighbor likes pigeon poop

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My neighbor and I share a mutual driveway that separates our homes. He has a window overlooking this driveway and he has been allowing pigeons to live on the window ledge. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a problem with that – it is his property, after all. However, what I do take issue with is the fact that he simply refuses to clean the poop from the driveway. So, last evening I politely asked him to remove the crap off of the driveway and he basically told me to go
myself. (Nice guy!)

I explained that pigeon feces is toxic to humans – it causes severe respiratory problems if the spores are ingested. He didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even seem phased by this news, even though his 2 young children were kicking around in the pile of pigeon poop at the time. He told me that if I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like it, I had two options - clean it myself or sue him.

When I left the house this morning, the poop was moved to my side of the driveway. So, I contacted the city Health Inspector and told them about the problem. He arrived within the hour and it took him exactly 1 minute to inspect and then knock on my neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s door. I decided to stay on my front porch and listen in on the conversation which went something like this - Inspector asked him to clean up the poop; neighbor said mind your own business; Inspector said youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re in violation of bylaw and since you refuse to clean it (apparently my pictures from the last 6 months came in handy), youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re being fined $1500! ; Neighbor runs to the shed to get shovel to clean up poop and when he begins cleaning, Inspector says youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re too late and hands him the $1500 fine.

Guess my neighbour didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t realize there was a 3rd option! Chalk one up for the good guys!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow.. Well congratulations on winning the Poop Wars..

I hope he doesn't try to get back at you though..

I just remember having a neighbor who used to hit his wife alot, and we lived really close.. I called the cops one night because she was screaming and crying for help.. The whole rest of the night, he kept banging on our door and screaming at us instead.. It was quite scary.. We ended up moving the very next day,, it was an apartment...

But congrats on winning that..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how people can tolerate such filth when all it will take is a few moments of their time to clean.

Do you think he will try to retaliate against you any since it's probably obvious that you called the health inspector? Be careful and keep track of everything if he does try to act out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course he will retaliate -- that's just the kinda guy he is (in the last 2 years, I've had to sue him twice over various issues -- I've won both times).

In fact, I'm kinda hoping he does threaten me. The reason being is that my other neighbor is a police officer and he said that if piegeon man does threaten me in any way shape or form, I can get a restraining order imposed on him so that he won't be able to go back to his house (and family) for as long as I live there. And, if he does anything physical towards me, he'll have my attack-trained, 185 lb bouvier to contend with.

Aren't neighbors lovely?!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

In fact, I'm kinda hoping he does threaten me. The reason being is that my other neighbor is a police officer and he said that if piegeon man does threaten me in any way shape or form, I can get a restraining order imposed on him so that he won't be able to go back to his house (and family) for as long as I live there. And, if he does anything physical towards me, he'll have my attack-trained, 185 lb bouvier to contend with.

Aren't neighbors lovely?!
Dont' be mad at me.. Please,, but just think real hard if you do that,, he has a family with little kids, and if he can't go back home the little kids will be the ones to suffer.. Don't be mad,, I'm just saying.. I know he's a jerk and he has a foul mouth, and he obviously needed to do something with the pigeon poo,, but keep in mind how hard that would be on his family.. I'm sure there nice aside from the jerkness gotta be macho neighbor guy.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think a judge would ever restrain him from going to his house, but he can be ordered to not speak with you, approach you, or go anywhere near your house.

If I were you, I would invest in a security camera facing the driveway, just in case he gets any ideas to damage your car. Also, you know the poop is going to build up again, so please make sure you call again ASAP.

I had to report my neighbors to the twp numerous times to pick up the mounds of rotweiller poop they refuse to clean. It was disgusting and right next to my patio. Well, Not sure if they are being cleaner this year because they moved the poop pen to the other side of their yard, far away from me.

Also, my cat drank out of a plant saucer with pigeon poop in it, and it almost killed her.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I don't think a judge would ever restrain him from going to his house, but he can be ordered to not speak with you, approach you, or go anywhere near your house.

If I were you, I would invest in a security camera facing the driveway, just in case he gets any ideas to damage your car. Also, you know the poop is going to build up again, so please make sure you call again ASAP.

I had to report my neighbors to the twp numerous times to pick up the mounds of rotweiller poop they refuse to clean. It was disgusting and right next to my patio. Well, Not sure if they are being cleaner this year because they moved the poop pen to the other side of their yard, far away from me.

Also, my cat drank out of a plant saucer with pigeon poop in it, and it almost killed her.
How scary,, your cat almost died from the pigeon poop... We dont' have pigeon in these parts.. Black Birds,, mean ones.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

Dont' be mad at me.. Please,, but just think real hard if you do that,, he has a family with little kids, and if he can't go back home the little kids will be the ones to suffer..
Well, they're just going to have to move if that happens. I'm sorry, I'm usually a very kind, caring person who doesn't hate anyone. But, this is just one of many scary stories I could tell you about this man. So, I wouldn't feel bad at all if he forced his family to move.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

In regards to your statement about the judge -- actually, you're wrong. Because our homes are so close together, an order stating he has to stay so many feet/yards away from me won't work. FYI, my father in law is a judge, so I know this to be true. As for the security camera, it's already there. DH put it in after the inspector left.

I know you're all saying "geez, she's just so mean," but if you knew about half of the crap (literally and figuratively) I've had to put up with because of my neighbor, you'd all change your thinking of me.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, your neighbour reminds me of one that lived next door to us when I was growing up. His wife was so nice, but he was a mean old coot! And back when gun laws were lax here, he would frequently pull out his shotgun and threaten kids who walked across his lawn.

I hope you guys can find a way to live next door to each other in peace rather than discord. Nothing like being aggravated by mean or rude neighbours to make living where you do unhappy.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the thing that gets me with people that OWN. They immediately think "It's MY house, I can do whatever I want."

It's not true. If this guy were trying to sell his house and had all that pigeon poop on his window and in his yard, he would have a tough time selling. Plus other neighbors trying to sell within view of that house probably won't sell as quickly either (I mean really, I wouldn't want a view of bird poop on my neighbor's house).

Sounds to me like this guy jsut needs to buy his own house on 50 acres; somewhere that he won't have to worry about other neighbors.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is this losers fault if he isn't allowed into his own home again. Sorry, the kids have a rotten father but they will all just have to deal with it and he can haul his whole family somewhere else. Maybe the relocating and the embarassment of having someone else have to come to his home to move his stuff because he isn't allowed there would be a great thing and make him think twice next time. Go for it, have the restraining order filed, more power to you! Especially if he threatens or harasses you!

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

We dont' have pigeon in these parts.. Black Birds,, mean ones.
I've got black birds but.............mean ones (?), how so are your's mean??

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

My neighbor and I share a mutual driveway that separates our homes. He has a window overlooking this driveway and he has been allowing pigeons to live on the window ledge. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a problem with that – it is his property, after all. However, what I do take issue with is the fact that he simply refuses to clean the poop from the driveway. So, last evening I politely asked him to remove the crap off of the driveway and he basically told me to go
myself. (Nice guy!)

I explained that pigeon feces is toxic to humans – it causes severe respiratory problems if the spores are ingested. He didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even seem phased by this news, even though his 2 young children were kicking around in the pile of pigeon poop at the time. He told me that if I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like it, I had two options - clean it myself or sue him.

When I left the house this morning, the poop was moved to my side of the driveway. So, I contacted the city Health Inspector and told them about the problem. He arrived within the hour and it took him exactly 1 minute to inspect and then knock on my neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s door. I decided to stay on my front porch and listen in on the conversation which went something like this - Inspector asked him to clean up the poop; neighbor said mind your own business; Inspector said youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re in violation of bylaw and since you refuse to clean it (apparently my pictures from the last 6 months came in handy), youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re being fined $1500! ; Neighbor runs to the shed to get shovel to clean up poop and when he begins cleaning, Inspector says youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re too late and hands him the $1500 fine.

Guess my neighbour didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t realize there was a 3rd option! Chalk one up for the good guys!
I'm confused. How does one allow a pidgeon to live on ones window ledge? How do you deter pigeons from living on your window ledges? I thought when birds poo it was very flat white stuff (from what I've seen). Can it really be shoveled? Are we talking hundreds of birds here? Can it be cleaned from the driveway with a hose & water?

I worked in Chicago for several years and the city had tons of pigeons and I can honestly say I NEVER saw any pigeon poo anywhere on the sidewalks. I wonder..............why not?

I live in a regular suburban area and, of course, there are zillions of birds everywhere and yet, except for the occasional bird droppings on my car, I really can't tell WHERE those birds poo! I mean, I regularly feed those birdies and have yet to see any poo on my driveway or house. Are pidgeons so very different from my birdies?

My sister lives very near a lake and they have a problem with duck and goose poo on their beach. I mean, that stuff is huge and CAN be shoveled because it's the size of cat or dog poo.

Just wonderin'.