Kitty...issue

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have a problem with our 6 year old male cat Joey. We have always had a problem with him peeing and pooping where he shouldn't. Originally it was only a problem if the litterbox hadn't been cleaned out yet, but it has gotten worse. Much worse. He has started to pee on our rugs, carpet, dogs bed, and even on beds. Its horrible. I have went through and read all 7 pages about this! And I am going to go get some of the sprays and some other things to try for the peeing. But what is the deal with pooping in other places? I'm at wits end and starting to wonder if he wouldnt be happier living somewhere that he was the only cat

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you seen your vet about this? Perhaps there is a deeper issue here.

Otherwise, could he be getting blocked from his litter box by any other animals? Perhaps someone else has "claimed" his box and he just can't get to it and has to relieve himself where he can.

I'm sure someone else will be along with some good advice. But I'd definitely make an appointment to see a vet to run some tests.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered allowing him HIS choice of one place that he can use (pref. not in the middle of the living room, and not on bedding, etc.) by NOT removing his last 'gift', so he gets that the place is ok? We had to do that with one of ours who'd been so traumatized by a vet's expressing his anal glands (twice) that he's literally afraid of going at all (#1's ok), never mind in the box, and when he has to go, he runs all over just stopping for seconds to let go, then running away again, but once we 'allowed' it in 1-2 (not obvious) places, kept Kleenex & Bounty handy, he tends to use those places much more - and we just go in later on and remove what's there (usually dries up fast and only a Kleenex is needed. It may sound awful, but we made a choice - and it was to try to accommodate his problem the way we would for a child (or ageing parent) because we love him so much otherwise and the 'problem' now seems relatively insignificant compared to others we have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Have you considered allowing him HIS choice of one place that he can use (pref. not in the middle of the living room, and not on bedding, etc.) by NOT removing his last 'gift', so he gets that the place is ok? We had to do that with one of ours who'd been so traumatized by a vet's expressing his anal glands (twice) that he's literally afraid of going at all (#1's ok), never mind in the box, and when he has to go, he runs all over just stopping for seconds to let go, then running away again, but once we 'allowed' it in 1-2 (not obvious) places, kept Kleenex & Bounty handy, he tends to use those places much more - and we just go in later on and remove what's there (usually dries up fast and only a Kleenex is needed. It may sound awful, but we made a choice - and it was to try to accommodate his problem the way we would for a child (or ageing parent) because we love him so much otherwise and the 'problem' now seems relatively insignificant compared to others we have.
Its more than the only places he goes is in the middle of the bed, or on the rug in the bathroom (which has just been removed indefinitely...) opr in the dogs bed. And he's fine 80% of the time, but he just has his moments...
And he has a vet visit very soon to get up to date on his shots before we move.