Weight loss

ozzie's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Up until a few years ago, my 12-year-old Oscar (orange tabby) was a fat boy (18 pounds). Then he seemed to have developed a skin or neurological problem, and began constantly grooming/chewing/licking any part of his body he could reach. (At one point, he had a mohawk!) My vet hasn't been able to find the problem and suggested a neurologist (the one in our area charges $100 just to walk through the door, so he's out right now). Oscar is a happy cat, but the weight loss over the years has me concerned. He just looks so emaciated. Can't find any medical problems there, either. He usually eats dry food, but tends to eat, then turn around and hork it all back up! He doesn't do this at every feeding, but enough to make me wonder if that's part of the weight loss. I've started feeding him wet food combined with a little dry food, and he handles that much better. My question is this: is their anything extra I can give him to bring that weight up? Like I said, he's happy (except for only wanting to be touched on his head and face), but he just looks so emaciated. We'll be going back to the vet next payday, but I want to do what I can until then.
Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the meantime, feed him whatever he'll eat and keep down--wet food is good for that. You can also try feeding him some extra treats, like scrambled eggs, between meals. When he goes to the vet, I would strongly suggest having a senior panel (bloodwork that includes checking the thyroid values) done as it can help determine what's causing the problem if it is related to kidneys, blood sugar levels, or thyroid levels. It will also show how his liver is doing, which may be a concern since he is losing weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

In the meantime, feed him whatever he'll eat and keep down--wet food is good for that. You can also try feeding him some extra treats, like scrambled eggs, between meals. When he goes to the vet, I would strongly suggest having a senior panel (bloodwork that includes checking the thyroid values) done as it can help determine what's causing the problem if it is related to kidneys, blood sugar levels, or thyroid levels. It will also show how his liver is doing, which may be a concern since he is losing weight.
that

anything... I feed stage one baby foods alot to my CRF girl when she wouldnt eat ... If he wont eat do you know how to syringe feed ??? do you have any pedialyte