TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Sigh going to health dept. today
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sigh going to health dept. today

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I am leaving to go to the health dept here in a bit. I plan to get there as soon as they open in hopes of seeing someone today. Today marks number 19 for bleeding and I can not take it anymore. Someone is gonna have to do something. I have done some reading on my issue and it seems like BC should help this issue. Wish me luck that someone will see me today.


*****Update: Made yet more phone calls today. I finally found a place that will see me tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. Its a community health center in Savannah. Because we have no insurance this is not gonna cost me anything. So maybe I will have a better understanding of what the heck is going on. I have to be there at 9:45am. Wish me luck.*****
post #2 of 26
good luck
post #3 of 26
Wow, that is horrible.. I hope they can help you today
post #4 of 26
Good luck Ping! Hopefully they can give you some sort of diagnosis or point you in a good direction for recovery!!
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Well I went up there. The Nurse Practitioner was not quite in yet. They took my name and number and reason for the call down. And I should hear something from them soon. Either it will be I can work you in today or just go to the ER. So I will let you know what I find out.
post #6 of 26
More good luck to you today. I hope they can figure it out and make it stop..
post #7 of 26
I hope everything goes okay for you.
post #8 of 26
Good luck! I hope the nurse can see you.
post #9 of 26
Is the bleeding bad bleeding or just spotting or very light flow? Do you have pain and cramping?

If it's really bad bleeding, I'd suggest you go to the ER. If it's just spotting or light flow, try and get into your clinic to see the NP. She will either schedule a D&C and Biopsy or hormone therapy IE: BC.

The normal protocol for extended bleeding is often a D&C (scraping out the womb under anethesia) and they do a Biopsy too. It's a day surgery procedure and you're home within a few hours. I've had a couple of them and they don't hurt at all.

Another option is like you say Birth Control to regulate the flow, or a 3 or 5 day course of hormones each month which is what I did for awhile instead of going on Birth Control. However, now that I have a history of blood clots I can no longer take Birth Control pills or Progesterone therapy for irregular periods because they increase the risk of clots.

Also, do you smoke? If you smoke it's not a good idea to be on birth control pills because of the risk for blood clots in smokers who take the pill.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
I go through at least 2 pantyliners a day. In the morning being the worst. No pain or cramping right now. I did have some cramping about 5-6 days ago for 30mins but that was it.

On the D&C, biopsies and all that. Unless this doctor knows of a low cost option or someone that will take payments I don't know if I can afford to have all that done.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
I go through at least 2 pantyliners a day. In the morning being the worst. No pain or cramping right now. I did have some cramping about 5-6 days ago for 30mins but that was it.

On the D&C, biopsies and all that. Unless this doctor knows of a low cost option or someone that will take payments I don't know if I can afford to have all that done.
Mornings are always worse for periods. When you stand up gravity takes effect and what didn't flow out in the night, does when you stand up.

So far as not being able to afford a D&C if one is necessary, everyone is entitled to basic healthcare and part of that is determining the cause of excessive bleeding in a female. Yes, sometimes the bleeding is because of wonky hormones, but it's not normal to bleed for that long, so there could be an underlying problem such as cancer that needs to be screened for. And they have an obligation to provide that service for you.

I get so mad when I hear people who need healthcare say they can't afford it. The USA has so much money to spend on war, yet they can't spend some of it on their own citizens to provide them with much needed healthcare!!!!

*steps off soap box"

Anyway, like I said, there must be hospitals around that provide such services for those who do not have insurance.
post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
I post this down here so this will get bumped up and people will see the update. Also the health dept still has not called me.

*****Update: Made yet more phone calls today. I finally found a place that will see me tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. Its a community health center in Savannah. Because we have no insurance this is not gonna cost me anything. So maybe I will have a better understanding of what the heck is going on. I have to be there at 9:45am. Wish me luck.*****
post #13 of 26
Good luck hun!!!!
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
I post this down here so this will get bumped up and people will see the update. Also the health dept still has not called me.

*****Update: Made yet more phone calls today. I finally found a place that will see me tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. Its a community health center in Savannah. Because we have no insurance this is not gonna cost me anything. So maybe I will have a better understanding of what the heck is going on. I have to be there at 9:45am. Wish me luck.*****
That's really good to hear!!
post #15 of 26
Hope your health system is better than ours.. i made a wopping 800$ and they said I would have to pay 36$ to see the nurse and then 50$ for the dr since the nurse couldnt give a RX
post #16 of 26
Ping, you should go to the Emergency room, now, and worry about the expense later. Usually, ER has provisions for indigent and low income. If you qualify, you may be able to apply for medical assitance right there. I notice you live in Georgia, so they may not have what pa. has, but I can't imagine they have Nothing.
Your health is the first concern. At least that way, you will be alive to pay your bill. Call all the hospitals and speak with the social service department and ask if they have programs like that, even if they all say no, go anyway.


I work in social services, and I know you will be taken care of.
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Like I said I will be going first thing in the morning. The place I am going does not charge uninsured people. If there are major medical issues going on they will help you with that. I know that some hosptials around here will temp. help people with medical issues if its short term. But I do not believe or hospital does that honestly. And honestly our hospital is pretty bad and its well known how their services are there. We will only do there in life threatening matters and then you get transferred to Savannah. Which is where I am going in the morning.
post #18 of 26
Good luck tomorrow, Ping

I'm glad something finally turned up so that you can be seen soon. I think you mentioned earlier that you could get a pap from somewhere for free/low-cost; that's probably a good idea,, too. Maybe they'll be more careful in looking during the speculum exam. Also, they may want to check your hormone levels, e.g. FSH, TSH, thyroid panel, etc. Don't forget to bring all your med info, Rx lists, cycle notes, etc.

Again, best wishes for your health!
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
I am willing to assume that they will do a pap tomorrow. If not I will get it done on the 20th at the health dept.

Luckly I don't take any meds. Just a one a day vitamin and Niacin.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
The USA has so much money to spend on war, yet they can't spend some of it on their own citizens to provide them with much needed healthcare!!!!
Hear, hear! And may I insert here a public service announcement for all Americans: Go see "Sicko," the documentary on the so-called healthcare system in this country. Among other things, it includes a horrifying audiotape from Nixon's Oval Office -- the moment when he approved the creation of HMOs, which were designed from the start to deny treatment, not provide it.

Which I guess makes them a huge success.

I hope you're okay, Ping, and will be feeling better soon...
post #21 of 26
Ping your in my prayers Good luck tomorrow Please try not to worry to much I know its easier said then done but believe me I have been there it does all work out .

I also have to say I agree with Natalie_ca this country is so messed up we should not have to do what we have to do to find health coverage in our country this is backward.... where I come from I was taught we help our own first... I share your anger

Ping I'm sending a Angel to watch over you

Please let us know how you make out .
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
*****Update: Made yet more phone calls today. I finally found a place that will see me tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. Its a community health center in Savannah. Because we have no insurance this is not gonna cost me anything. So maybe I will have a better understanding of what the heck is going on. I have to be there at 9:45am. Wish me luck.*****
Good!

Good luck and I hope it's nothing more serious than wonky hormones
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
I am willing to assume that they will do a pap tomorrow. If not I will get it done on the 20th at the health dept.

Luckly I don't take any meds. Just a one a day vitamin and Niacin.
Niacin? Were you prescribed that or are you just taking it on your own?

Niacin has blood thinning properties and could very well be contributing to the fact that you are still bleeding.

Make sure you mention that to the doctor you see tomorrow.
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
I thought that they could but I quit taking them when this started and it continued on.

Niacin is for flushing the kidneys and energy/metabolism.

Looked it up says you have to take 2000mg or more of Niacin to have that effect.

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=1549

Quote:
Doses of inositol hexaniacinate higher than 2,000 mg a day may have a blood-thinning effect.
I am under that by a long shot.
post #25 of 26
I hope that they can figure out what is going on and that you feel better soon! Sending you many get better vibes!!
post #26 of 26
Well, what happened. what is the diagnosis? what do you need to do?
inquiring minds want to know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Sigh going to health dept. today