Sigh going to health dept. today

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am leaving to go to the health dept here in a bit. I plan to get there as soon as they open in hopes of seeing someone today. Today marks number 19 for bleeding and I can not take it anymore. Someone is gonna have to do something. I have done some reading on my issue and it seems like BC should help this issue. Wish me luck that someone will see me today.

*****Update: Made yet more phone calls today. I finally found a place that will see me tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. Its a community health center in Savannah. Because we have no insurance this is not gonna cost me anything. So maybe I will have a better understanding of what the heck is going on. I have to be there at 9:45am. Wish me luck.*****

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Ping! Hopefully they can give you some sort of diagnosis or point you in a good direction for recovery!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I went up there. The Nurse Practitioner was not quite in yet. They took my name and number and reason for the call down. And I should hear something from them soon. Either it will be I can work you in today or just go to the ER. So I will let you know what I find out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the bleeding bad bleeding or just spotting or very light flow? Do you have pain and cramping?

If it's really bad bleeding, I'd suggest you go to the ER. If it's just spotting or light flow, try and get into your clinic to see the NP. She will either schedule a D&C and Biopsy or hormone therapy IE: BC.

The normal protocol for extended bleeding is often a D&C (scraping out the womb under anethesia) and they do a Biopsy too. It's a day surgery procedure and you're home within a few hours. I've had a couple of them and they don't hurt at all.

Another option is like you say Birth Control to regulate the flow, or a 3 or 5 day course of hormones each month which is what I did for awhile instead of going on Birth Control. However, now that I have a history of blood clots I can no longer take Birth Control pills or Progesterone therapy for irregular periods because they increase the risk of clots.

Also, do you smoke? If you smoke it's not a good idea to be on birth control pills because of the risk for blood clots in smokers who take the pill.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go through at least 2 pantyliners a day. In the morning being the worst. No pain or cramping right now. I did have some cramping about 5-6 days ago for 30mins but that was it.

On the D&C, biopsies and all that. Unless this doctor knows of a low cost option or someone that will take payments I don't know if I can afford to have all that done.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I go through at least 2 pantyliners a day. In the morning being the worst. No pain or cramping right now. I did have some cramping about 5-6 days ago for 30mins but that was it.

On the D&C, biopsies and all that. Unless this doctor knows of a low cost option or someone that will take payments I don't know if I can afford to have all that done.
Mornings are always worse for periods. When you stand up gravity takes effect and what didn't flow out in the night, does when you stand up.

So far as not being able to afford a D&C if one is necessary, everyone is entitled to basic healthcare and part of that is determining the cause of excessive bleeding in a female. Yes, sometimes the bleeding is because of wonky hormones, but it's not normal to bleed for that long, so there could be an underlying problem such as cancer that needs to be screened for. And they have an obligation to provide that service for you.

I get so mad when I hear people who need healthcare say they can't afford it. The USA has so much money to spend on war, yet they can't spend some of it on their own citizens to provide them with much needed healthcare!!!!

*steps off soap box"

Anyway, like I said, there must be hospitals around that provide such services for those who do not have insurance.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I post this down here so this will get bumped up and people will see the update. Also the health dept still has not called me.

*****Update: Made yet more phone calls today. I finally found a place that will see me tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. Its a community health center in Savannah. Because we have no insurance this is not gonna cost me anything. So maybe I will have a better understanding of what the heck is going on. I have to be there at 9:45am. Wish me luck.*****

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I post this down here so this will get bumped up and people will see the update. Also the health dept still has not called me.

That's really good to hear!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope your health system is better than ours.. i made a wopping 800$ and they said I would have to pay 36$ to see the nurse and then 50$ for the dr since the nurse couldnt give a RX

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ping, you should go to the Emergency room, now, and worry about the expense later. Usually, ER has provisions for indigent and low income. If you qualify, you may be able to apply for medical assitance right there. I notice you live in Georgia, so they may not have what pa. has, but I can't imagine they have Nothing.
Your health is the first concern. At least that way, you will be alive to pay your bill. Call all the hospitals and speak with the social service department and ask if they have programs like that, even if they all say no, go anyway.

I work in social services, and I know you will be taken care of.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said I will be going first thing in the morning. The place I am going does not charge uninsured people. If there are major medical issues going on they will help you with that. I know that some hosptials around here will temp. help people with medical issues if its short term. But I do not believe or hospital does that honestly. And honestly our hospital is pretty bad and its well known how their services are there. We will only do there in life threatening matters and then you get transferred to Savannah. Which is where I am going in the morning.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck tomorrow, Ping

I'm glad something finally turned up so that you can be seen soon. I think you mentioned earlier that you could get a pap from somewhere for free/low-cost; that's probably a good idea,, too. Maybe they'll be more careful in looking during the speculum exam. Also, they may want to check your hormone levels, e.g. FSH, TSH, thyroid panel, etc. Don't forget to bring all your med info, Rx lists, cycle notes, etc.

Again, best wishes for your health!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am willing to assume that they will do a pap tomorrow. If not I will get it done on the 20th at the health dept.

Luckly I don't take any meds. Just a one a day vitamin and Niacin.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The USA has so much money to spend on war, yet they can't spend some of it on their own citizens to provide them with much needed healthcare!!!!
Hear, hear!
And may I insert here a public service announcement for all Americans: Go see "Sicko," the documentary on the so-called healthcare system in this country. Among other things, it includes a horrifying audiotape from Nixon's Oval Office -- the moment when he approved the creation of HMOs, which were designed from the start to deny treatment, not provide it.

Which I guess makes them a huge success.

I hope you're okay, Ping, and will be feeling better soon...