Found a young squirrel, what do I do????

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbour just came around - her cat was out for a walk and found a young squirrel hiding in the bushes (the cat didn't hurt it at all).

It's not a tiny baby, but it's definitely young. There was a bunch of flies hanging around it, and it was shuffling around, but didn't run away when I was trying to get it out of the bushes.

I got it out using a sweater, and wrapped it in that, and put it into one of my cat traps, but now I have no idea what to do...

I don't know if it's injured, and I'll wait until DH gets home before I do anything, given I'm pregnant, I don't want to get too close to it. I guess I'll get him to try to carefully check the squirrel out.

If it doesn't look injured, should I put it in an open box with blankets to keep it warm and see if its mum comes back for it?

If it's injured, should I feed it and take it into the wildlife rescue centre tomorrow? They're closed now so can't ring them. If I should feed it, what and how do I feed it?? Can I give it KMR??

Any advice is appreciated!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!! Poor widdle squirrel!!! I hope its not injured~

Bless you for rescuing him.

Let us know what happens please....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there was a bunch of flies around it, more then likely it is injured and probably will not survive. You can call your local DNR and see if anyone wants to help. Personally I would not touch it. You don't know if it has rabies and risk getting bitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never mind, found help!!

The local wildlife rescue place has an after hours number, so I spoke with them and they said if it's got flies around it, it's most likely injured, so it needs care ASAP.

So they gave me the after hours number for animal control dispatch who will be sending an ACO around to collect it.

Funny thing is that it will be one of the ACO officers from the shelter I volunteer at I daresay

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Never mind, found help!!

The local wildlife rescue place has an after hours number, so I spoke with them and they said if it's got flies around it, it's most likely injured, so it needs care ASAP.

So they gave me the after hours number for animal control dispatch who will be sending an ACO around to collect it.

Funny thing is that it will be one of the ACO officers from the shelter I volunteer at I daresay
Awer. Well hopefully they can help the poor thing.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor little thing.

We've had a lot of babies around here, too. We saw three little raccons the other night peering at us from a tree in the front yard. My husband heard the growling mama racoon when he was coming up the stairs and that's how we spotted the babies (with a flashlight).

And today, there were seagulls going NUTS all over the house. The seagulls here are the size of very large chickens. There's been a baby seagull walking all around house all day, and the parents other other relatives are going nuts protecting it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor thing. I was going to say the same thing...if there were a lot of flies, most likely he has an open wound. The fact that he didn't try to run from you also is a sign that he wasn't feeling right. Not necessarily rabid, but didn't have the energy to run. I'm glad he can get help tonight. Let us know how it goes.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awww, I hope the little guy is okay

Do they actually try to help squirrels, or do they just kill them?
He'll get taken to the Emergency Vet Clinic where he'll get checked out. If he can be fixed, they'll take care of him and transfer him to wildlife rescue in the morning. If he's in too bad a shape, they'll euthanise him.

Hopefully the little guy will be ok! His little tail is sticking out from my sweater at the moment and looks so cute

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart for trying to help him.
I'm so glad that someone is on the way to get him and hopefully they'll be able to save the little guy.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update!!

The ACO came out (he's one of my favourites as well, lovely guy!!), and took the squirrel away. The squirrel was smaller than I realised - the ACO estimated 3-4 weeks and said it was a boy.

He seemed ok - a bit of blood on his nose, but otherwise fine, so must have fallen out of his nest. He had fly eggs all over him, so I don't think he would have lasted too much longer.

Cleo the kitty next door has been praised lots for finding him and not hurting him

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Update!!

The ACO came out (he's one of my favourites as well, lovely guy!!), and took the squirrel away. The squirrel was smaller than I realised - the ACO estimated 3-4 weeks and said it was a boy.

He seemed ok - a bit of blood on his nose, but otherwise fine, so must have fallen out of his nest. He had fly eggs all over him, so I don't think he would have lasted too much longer.

Cleo the kitty next door has been praised lots for finding him and not hurting him
The poor little baby
I hope he will be ok. I love squirrels

Thank you for rescuing him

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The poor little baby
I hope he will be ok. I love squirrels

Thank you for rescuing him
I'm popping in to the shelter today to get some kitties photos for Petfinder, so I'll ask if they know anything more about him. I daresay he got taken straight to the Emergency Clinic, then he'll be going to wildlife rescue when they open at 9am, so we may not find out any more.

If I didn't have 3 kitties I'd so be volunteering at the wildlife rescue place, that'd be great fun