How did you name your cats?

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did you come up with the names for your cats? I have seen so many creative sounding ones so I am curious now and want to share my own!

I am a musician, so my cats' names are the middle names of two famous composers.

Johann SEBASTIAN Bach
Wolfgang AMADEUS Mozart

Share your name stories!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got my cat when I was 10 and my mom took me to get him. She had a black and white cat when she was a kid named Popsie. My cat is a boy and my dad said he didn't want a male cat because of spraying (neutering fixed that). Anyway, I just had to have my cat and since he's black and white my mom said if we got him she wanted to name him Popsie. That's how my baby got his name.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I named Sassy after a character in a Clive Barker book called Cabal made into the movie NightBreed.
The character's name was Surasassy it was a half cat type creature who's facile features and Sassy's were almost the same. In fact the first time I saw Sassy at the shelter was a few days after I saw the movie and that is what caught my attention.
Linus got his name for a far simpler reason, when I brought him home from the shelter every time something frightened him he would hide under the blankets on my bed...What else would you call a little guy so attached to his security blanket.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Ling and Charlie:

Ling was named that cause she was blue and seal point (with blue tabby markings) when 1-3 months old. All the kittens were the same in the litter, so all got "oriental" names, Ling, Ping and Pong (her brothers) and Ying and Yang (her sisters)

Charlie's real name is Charlie Wonka - named after the movie "Charlie and the chocolate factory" because he's a chocolate spotted Ocicat.

In the future, my chocolate-silver Oci will be named Captain Jack Sparrow.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna. She is about 15 years old and has owned me for over 14 years:
She is pure white and I didn't want a generic name like "snowy" or "snowball". I like "normal" sounding names. She reminded me of porcelin because of her white fur which is so fine and downy soft, but "Porcelin" sounded stupid. So I decided on "China", but that looked like the name of a country. So I varied the spelling to "Chynna". Now I get asked if I named her after some wrestler whom I'd never heard of, LOL

Abby. She is 9 years old and came to live with me when she was 4 months:
The girl I got her from named her "Abigail" or "Abby" for short. Since she had been called that since she was a wee itsy baby, I left it. She is my "red head" and looks like an "Abby".

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tryon was found on the wall surrounding Fort Tryon Park.

PeeWee has a grey suit and white shoes like Peewee Herman

Sammy.. well I made a dumb joke with the name Sammy in it and it just sort of stuck.

Of all the names I've given cats, I think John Doe is my favorite. Now known as Johnny, I named him John Doe because he just showed up on our front porch one day. We didn't know who he was, so John Doe he became. I took him to the vet shortly after we named him and a little girl was looking into the carrier. She asked me his name and I told her... well she didn't know what it meant, but her dad did. He started cracking up "...Seriously?! You really named him that?!" I explained how he came to live with us and the dad just thought it was the best thing he'd heard in ages

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stoli, Russian Blue, Stolichnaya Russian Vodka
Luxor, Egyptian Mau, Luxor Resort in Las Vegas (and the city in Egypt)

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gette got her name from Paul McCartney's song, "Jet," which was about a suffragette (and I don't know why the title is spelled differently) but she answers to Mena, a name my husband came up with FOR NO APPARENT REASON!
Jiggy was named after my husband's friend.
Sophia....well, that was her name when we adopted her, but I nicknamed her DeeDee, so she doesn't even know her name is Sophia...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna was almost named Penelope, but she kept responding to Luna. So that's what I called her.

Whitey got his name because he is a black cat and my boyfriend thought it would be funny.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demetri's registered name is Silk Truffle because, Ocicats have silky fur and truffle for the chocolate (he's chocolate silver)

His pet name started off as part of the registered name as it was a silver smith in the bible (according to the baby name website) I was going to have both a chocolate and silver meaning name but it was too long so GK helped me create Silk Truffle and we kept Demetri for pet name.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shinya means midnight in Japanese. And from the youngest age I always wanted a cat called Midnight. Plus, my online name for the last 12 years or so has been MIDNIGHT STAR (Star being my nickname when I lived in England, and I now go by Sei here in Japan which has the same meaning). So essentially, Me (Sei) and Shinya combined = Midnight Star.

Yuna is actually a character from Final Fantasy (a video game). My first thought was Luna (to stick with the night theme) but I decided that was more of a darker coloured cat name and I wanted my crazy Abyssinian to be the daylight to the midnight of my Russian Blue. I guess I'm not making any sense huh?

snickers80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All my pets are named after foods that begin with "s"

cats:
Sake (Japanese alcohol, because he's Siamese)
Snickers (like the candy bar, because she looks like one and looks like she ate too many of them all in one)
and Sushi (who was originially named S'more, but that changed the next morning)

chinchillas:
Short Stack Pancakes
Spirit(s)

I feel bad for the pet that gets stuck with Salad

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cute names on here!

Mew started out as Mute because when she was born she was only one who didn't cry. Eventually she became the mouthiest, so her name changed.

I had a cat named ^Smeagol^, the love of my life, that died at 1 year old. He was named that by a friend of my husband because he was a very ugly ugly kitten. Skinny, hunched, giant bat ears, odd shaped head and a pale pink/orange colour. It is my favourite name ever. He did turn into a very handsome guy, despite him 'ugly ducking' beginnings.

Tuxedo Jeremy named because he's a long haired black/white tuxedo cat. I call him Tuxy-toes. He actually has his own theme song (dork alert)

Lemony Snicket came to us through a series of unfortunate events. I have never seen the movie, but once I heard the name I knew it was 'it'. I call her Lemon, Anemony, or if she's in a snooty mood, she will only respond to 'Ms. Snicket'.

Eggs because we had three kittens I bottle raised. Eggs, Bacon and Burnt Toast. Toast and Bacon both died, so that only left the Eggies. It's kind of a dumb name without the others, but she responded to it at a very young age, so we left it.

Smeggweiler name is a bit of a story. Smeagol, mentioned above, was a very strange and unusual cat. He had some very unique mannerisms. Jeremy said he was so weird that needed his own 'breed' so he deemed him a 'Smeggweiler' (Smeagol-Rottweiler. We have rottweilers). I was absolutely crushed after he died, as I know there will never be another like him. A year or so later, a stray cat had a litter outside at the new house we bought. One of them had some of the unusual Smeggweiler traits (but not all). Jeremy deemed him a Smeggweiler as well, and I said he had to stay and brought him inside. I didn't want to name him Smeagol, so we just decided on Smeggie, as he is a Smeggweiler.

My dogs are Fraulein (german for woman or lady), Butters came to us as Buddy, but we changed it to Butters (my favourite character from South Park. In retrospect we should have named him Tweek since he's such a spaz! Ha!
) and Sydney came with her name. She was already over 3 years and I couldn't think of anything that sounded like 'Sydney' that I liked.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got Isadora, I was a junior in high school and ballet was my life...I had lessons 5 days a week and danced in a company. So, I named her after Isadora Duncan, who was kind of a pioneer of modern classical ballet.

Spot I named....well....for her spots...duh! My friend tried to talk me into naming her Cleo because she almost looks like an egyptian mau. I liked "Spot" better.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I got Princess I had a list of names mostly Egyptian.. all with meanings and things, but I wanted to see how her personality was before I chose one. After a few days I still hadn't decided and was calling her pet names like "baby" and "princess".

I called her Princess once and she came up to me for the first time, so she chose her own name.

gemini_n_hobbes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gemini - Her birthday falls under Gemini and I thought the nickname "Gem" would be cute.

Hobbes - We actually couldn't decide on a name for him for about a week. All these names were popping up but they just didn't suit him. Then one night while my boyfriend and I were having a few beers we started talking philosophy. My boyfriend quoted Thomas Hobbes. Then I yelled.."That's it! Hobbes! Like from Calvin and Hobbes." (both of our favourite comics growing up) Technically he is named after Thomas Hobbes, but we usually just say Hobbes the cat from Calvin and Hobbes.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There some great stories here, I thought I'd join in. I'll save the best til last.

Diego is named after Diego in Ice Age, he's the awesome sabre tooth tiger.
No real reason for it other than the fact I like the character, makes me laugh all the time. Thats one of his quotes in my siggie.

Ryu is just one of the many random names I thought of, after running a poll here it was Ginger as the most voted, but I noticed someone else here has a cat named ginger so decided to keep it original with the 2nd most voted name. Although he doesn't respond to it. I'm thinking of renaming him but not 100%

Neko, well this is the most interesting and funny story which you will laugh at. We couldn't think of a name for him, he was going to be called Diego but I got into the habit of calling him cat. Well you know thats a pretty dopey name for your cat, so I said why don't we just name him Neko (Japanese for cat) coz at the time we were still living in NZ so you know, people who don't speak or know Japanese are clueless to the name. So yes his name is still cat but in a different language
in my siggie you will see some Japanese, thats how their names are written, but Neko's name can be written in Kanji (Chinese character) but that would be blatantly obvious to Japanese people so I wrote it in their 3rd alphabet which is used for writing foreign words in Japanese. It looks so much better.

gemini_n_hobbes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickers80

All my pets are named after foods that begin with "s"

cats:
Sake (Japanese alcohol, because he's Siamese)
Snickers (like the candy bar, because she looks like one and looks like she ate too many of them all in one)
and Sushi (who was originially named S'more, but that changed the next morning)

chinchillas:
Short Stack Pancakes
Spirit(s)

I feel bad for the pet that gets stuck with Salad
lmao you are so cute!

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spookie, he is solid black, and we rescued him on Halloween day!
And of course Spook's mom, is Mama she is also mama of
Love, who loves to be loved on, he never gets enough lovin', plus
I didn't realize at the time he was a boy, (he was wild, and so was
mama, I had to trap them to have them spay/neutered for rescue)
Mama also had at the carwash, 3 other wild ones,
My son tamed one...... he was the first one trapped, he named him
Puff-Daddy, Puff for short, because of his thick fur around his neck! Puff
was run over one morning on the way to school, we had a hard time
over Puff's death!
The other 2 tabby's, which disappeared the night before I started
trapping were....Sha-na-na, from Martin Lawerence's character and
Biscuit.
Then after I trapped Mama, I found out she was already pregant
again, so I took her home. She had 3 more, Lucy, Ethel, and
my sweet baby, Scream.
Scream was the last one born, she was the runt. She came out Screamin'
so it stuck, she never could find the nipple!
I kept her, only to lose her forever Feb. 06'. she went out one night ,
and has never returned! I grieved her for months, I searched for her
night and day! I still cry about her, as I write this down!!
But, then the following June of 06' the good lord brought me another
little baby, her name is GiGi or G which is short for Gracie, because is
is all gray, really she is blue, she is beautiful. and so full of life, she
is keeping the others on their toes! I should of named her Chase!
She loves to chase and be chased! I found her under the fountain
at my mom's house late one night. She wasn't even old enough to be
taken away from her mom! She stayed on my shoulder for the first 2 wks.
I love her so much, my Spookie took her in like she was his baby! He is
an awesome cat! God only knows how she got to my mom's fountain that
night, it is pretty far off the road!
I also have Cali the Calico, and Stash, because she has a black mustashe!
We had a cat when I was growing up that looked just like Stash,
but his name was "Adolph" he looked like Adolph Hilter, but was beautiful!
He followed a friend of ours home from the Country Club and Joel thought
that was a good name for him, he didn't want him so we took him and never
changed his name!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scruffy my husband named
Cala because she is a calico
Willow because she is so soft like the pussy willow
Veeshan is named after a dragon from the online game EverQuest also is an anagram of heavens
Kingston is named after Gwen Stefani's son only because I liked the name