Pay Pal? URGENT! I am freaking out....

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I am totally flipping out here!!!! Does anyone here know much about this?

I just checked my mail and theres a pay pal reciept stating a purchase for $47.85....

Heres the problem: I HAVENT ordered anything!!!!! I am freaking out!

Has someone hacked into my acct info?? What do I need to do?

Someone help me!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Contact the vendor from the reciept and find out what was purchased and when ... then contact pay pal with that info

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you sure its not a paypal scam? If you hover over the links, does a web address different from www.paypal.com appear at the bottom?

The easiest way to check is log into paypal and see if there has been an actual transaction (via the history)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Ok, I am totally flipping out here!!!! Does anyone here know much about this?

I just checked my mail and theres a pay pal reciept stating a purchase for $47.85....

Heres the problem: I HAVENT ordered anything!!!!! I am freaking out!

Has someone hacked into my acct info?? What do I need to do?

Someone help me!!!
Yes, if it's an email, whatver you do, DO NOT click on the link and put in your account information - that's how they steal it.

Go to paypal.com and log in that way. If you've already clicked on a link in the email, then go straight to the paypal website and change your password NOW!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was charged twice for an item I purchased, i e-mailed paypal , they answered my e-mail in about two hours, by the end of the day my money was back in my account

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a scam email. If you do log in thru that email - don't give your personal info (acct#, password etc.)

I would log into your paypal acct and check for activity then email paypal about the scam email.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

are you sure its not a paypal scam? If you hover over the links, does a web address different from www.paypal.com appear at the bottom?

The easiest way to check is log into paypal and see if there has been an actual transaction (via the history)
I havent used it for so long, I dont remember my password...

I wondered if it isnt a scam, but didnt think pay pal did that?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a Pal pal scam. It's other people using pay pal as bait. Please be careful. If you find out it's legit then I hope things work out and you figure out what's going on.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, do not click on any links in that email. Go straight to the paypal website. Check out your transactions, if there was nothin on there... then I would not worry.

Sweetheart, change your password either way. I would change it for any account you have on the internet, including email. You can never be too safe

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not paypal, it's someone else trying to steal your information. It's really quite simple to do (but I will not post HOW to do it). The emails come in all sorts of shapes and sizes to freak out anyone.

You can recover your password by going to www.paypal.com (don't click on any links in the email
). Click on "Forgot password?" and that will give you directions on resetting the password.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The email says its for a Digimax 130..whatever that is!?!

And yes it says to dispute this transaction, click on the link, and oops I did, but it wouldnt bring up anything?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

It's not a Pal pal scam. It's other people using pay pal as bait. Please be careful. If you find out it's legit then I hope things work out and you figure out what's going on.
They do the same with bank fraud. Scammers make a website that looks just like the real thing and the link in your email might say www.paypal.com or www.citibank.com or whatever, but when you click on it, it takes to a different website that looks like the real thing.

The email might say something like you have to enter your account details for the account to remain active, or like what you got - you got charged for blah, click here to check the transaction or something like that.

Many many many people don't realise it's fake because it looks so realistic. Basically NEVER click on a link in an email. Always just type in the organisation's actual website yourself.

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure you run some spyware / antivirus stuff on your PC asap.

Then contact paypal according to the directions mentioned by others ie directly through the site.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet it was addressed to paypal customer- and not your paypal user name
They try to get me all the time. I just foward that e-mail to spoof@paypal
I'm not sure if its dot com or what at the end. But that is a sure sign that it is a scam. They don't address it to you personally- they address it dear ebay member or dear paypal customer. Watch out for them!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pray that you didn't click on the link that some of the fake paypal emails send you to "update" your info. If so, you've just given a hacker access to your accout and all info in it.

I'd contact PayPal thru ebay immediately and report it. Not sure what can be done, but PayPal has credit card info among other things.

This is one way you can get your identity stolen (via the credit cards).

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

I bet it was addressed to e bay member- not your e bay user name.
They try to get me all the time. I just foward that e-mail to spoof@paypal
I'm not sure if its dot com or what at the end. But that is a sure sign that it is a scam. They don't address it to you personally- they address it dear ebay member or dear paypal customer. Watch out for them!
You guys are making me feel so much better~phew!!!

I have a feeling now that it probly is a scam.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did say that you clicked on a link in the email -- if so, then you NEED to contact paypal to make sure your account hasn't been compromised. And like Mark said, you'll need to run some spyware/antivirus software to protect your PC.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get these in my email at least once a week and report every one of them to Paypal. Needless to say, I go through a lot of passwords.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you got an email saying that you purchased something you didn't, odds are its a scammer site trying to steal your paypal info. Usually theres a link in the email leading you to your login page. DO NOT click on that link. It's not really paypal that it's leading you to, it's made to look like paypal, but its really a differen't site waiting for you to type in your login info so they can steal it.

It's best to never follow links in emails. If you need to access your paypal account type the url into your browser, that way there's no possibility of getting scammed.