My new kitty has wicked gas... Whoo I mean nasty???

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I just picked up a kitten yesterday (adopted) and a couple hours after I brought him home I noticed he was dropping some wicked bombs (nasty farts)... It is wretched and he has been like this all night and this morning dropping bombs about every two minutes (once while I picked him up). The previous owner had him on Fromm (not familiar with it, never used it)... since I wasnt able to pick the kitty up till late I wasnt able to pick up some Fromm (considering that is what he has been on, and I was going to slowly convert him to EVO)... Well I put a little EVO in a dish (had no choice, and he didnt touch it till this morning) and he started dropping bombs before I filled the dish (so I know it isnt the EVO, and I dont want to give him much... Id rather buy what he was on and gradually introduce him to the EVO)... My question is anyone familiar with Fromm? He obviously had pre-existing gas when I got him... I really didnt want to give him the EVO this morning but I had no choice (the owner didnt give me any of the fromm) he loves it, but Im expecting his gas will get worse or he will get sick??? Ahh the frustration, I am going to make a vet appointment for him this week because he needs a check-up and some shots as is (so no worries there)... So what is the deal with my kitty (should he have gas like that if he has been on that Fromm for most of his life?)

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be from nervousness. When I got Kingston he let out stinkys a lot. I don't know if he out grew it or if it took a few months for him to really feel comfortable living here. I tried different foods and it didn't matter what he ate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no lol... I dont mean to laugh but I suppose that could be the case. Who would of thought something so small could produce such a raunchy smell. I think he is nervous a little. He was living with another cat in maybe a 500sq ft studio (if even 500ft) my place is 1100 sq ft... Plus I have 2 stranger cats. One he has encountered already (played though the playing gets vicious so I only let them interact a little) and the older cat has NOT met him yet. My older cat is grouchy with new comers (at first) so Im working an extended introduction phase between those two...

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he still have worms possibly? That can make kittens gassy.

Stimpy was gassy when we got him, but he went from junk, to Rx s/d to Nutro Max in a matter of a few months. So I knew it was food related.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He told me that he was dewormed (he is 4.5 months old)... Im hoping he doesnt have worms, its hard to look at the stool because he covers it right away. Of course he will receive a stool sample test when i take him to the vet sometime this week (gotta make an appointment today)... I was not ruling out that he may have worms, it has crossed my mind... Im hoping not though!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I got Leopalorn, pet quality Somali. He had nasty farts and big soft stools, The food the breeder gave me was nasty, I think is was Royal chann, not sure.
I gave him Innova EVO and he scarfed that all up and loved it. I just went right from the junk to Innova EVO no problems.

The breeder although good to us in terms of warning us about his surgery needs never wormed him, the kittens or his cattery either
, He is up to date on all shots expect for the final boster and rabies. Although I love purebreds I think from now on I'm adopting shelter cats because of the grim satistics, They say if every unwanted cat in the usa found a home, then every hme in the usa would have 47 cats!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat needs the works too. He needs to be neutered eventually, he needs his full round of distemper vaccinations (he had one but it has been so long that he needs them all again), he needs his rabies, FIV testing, FeLV tesing, and stool testing yet. My last adopted kitty had everything done (including microchip) and just needed 2 boosters to her distemper. This is going to be a little costly but at least he wont remain uncared for.

I will have to see if he got sick from the EVO when I get home after work... My poor gassy little baby!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping I can fnd a vet which uses the right gas, Somalis can die from neuter surgeries because of the gas, for this reason Im going to wait as long possible so he gets stronger, I will, also look around for vets during this tme, to find one I like.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really I never knew that about Somalis... Best of luck. I wish I could just snap my fingers and have all the work done, to avoid the stress my kitten is going to go through (he has alot of vet trips ahead of him).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probiotics... like bene bac should help .... Yes ask for a fecal and get the pills if worms are present

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think I can just bring in a sample of his feces when I go in for the initial exam (instead of going there first and having to go home, collect a sample, and then bring it back)?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im going to ask them if I can when they call... How fresh does it have to be (is 24 hours ok)?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fresh is best but I think they can use an overnight one..ASK... lol.. my vet manged to get my girls to go at the visit

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely ask... I hate taking stool samples, I feel pressured when the kitty doesnt go

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Ok so I just picked up a kitten yesterday (adopted) and a couple hours after I brought him home I noticed he was dropping some wicked bombs (nasty farts)... It is wretched and he has been like this all night and this morning dropping bombs about every two minutes (once while I picked him up). The previous owner had him on Fromm (not familiar with it, never used it)... since I wasnt able to pick the kitty up till late I wasnt able to pick up some Fromm (considering that is what he has been on, and I was going to slowly convert him to EVO)... Well I put a little EVO in a dish (had no choice, and he didnt touch it till this morning) and he started dropping bombs before I filled the dish (so I know it isnt the EVO, and I dont want to give him much... Id rather buy what he was on and gradually introduce him to the EVO)... My question is anyone familiar with Fromm? He obviously had pre-existing gas when I got him... I really didnt want to give him the EVO this morning but I had no choice (the owner didnt give me any of the fromm) he loves it, but Im expecting his gas will get worse or he will get sick??? Ahh the frustration, I am going to make a vet appointment for him this week because he needs a check-up and some shots as is (so no worries there)... So what is the deal with my kitty (should he have gas like that if he has been on that Fromm for most of his life?)
Dear Trixie:
Sounds like a definite dietary issue and I'm sure glad you have an appt. for him anyway! I have heard the name, but never bought or even seen the food. EVO has an excellent reputation; but you're absolutely right to seek the doctor's advice first of all, and he may want to do a fecal exam for him just to make sure it isn't an issue of parasites or something. GOOD LUCK!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all my babies were gassy as babies.. ever see that cartoon when someone does something inside the house and the walls bend in and then explode outward??? Yeah, I know how those awful kitty farts smell. PHEW!!!!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im bringing in a fecal sample tomorrow when I go (stopping home first so I can gather the nasty poo poo). Just to be safe Im going to pick up the food he is use to and then gradually mix the EVO (he had all EVO today I hope he didnt get sick while Im here at work, but I had nothing else on hand)... Hopefully it isnt anything to serious. I dread going home to see if he made a mess at all (vomit or poo other than inside the litter box) and to smell that nasty stench... He is being kept in the second bedroom while I am at work to avoid any catfights (since I just brought him home last night)!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Im bringing in a fecal sample tomorrow when I go (stopping home first so I can gather the nasty poo poo). Just to be safe Im going to pick up the food he is use to and then gradually mix the EVO (he had all EVO today I hope he didnt get sick while Im here at work, but I had nothing else on hand)... Hopefully it isnt anything to serious. I dread going home to see if he made a mess at all (vomit or poo other than inside the litter box) and to smell that nasty stench... He is being kept in the second bedroom while I am at work to avoid any catfights (since I just brought him home last night)!
Good luck
Let us know how the V.E.T. trip goes!