Wedding favors...apparently, I gave everyone weeds!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hate this. DH and I got married Oct 05. One of the favors we had for our guests was a book mark with a pack of "wild flower" seeds with some corny saying about plant these seeds and remember our love is growing as your flowers are growing.
(hey, I was planning a wedding...it sounded romantic!).

Anyway, I had an extra planter, and planted a few packs of these stupid seeds. They are WEEDS! I KNOW this because they are identical to the "weeds" that DH is always complaining about. I feel so bad! I gave my guests weeds!

Why don't they just say "weeds" instead of "wild flowers"! So, now I have bachlor's buttons and queen anne's lace growing in a planter. God help me...I have enough of them in my yard.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, weeds are... oh, dandelions or milkweed. But Queen Anne's Lace, Black-eyed Susans, Indian Paintbrush, Buttercups, Winecups, Lupine -- these are gorgeous wildflowers! I'm sure your guests are delighted...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard they were weeds. I guess they're weeds if they're in your lawn, and flowers in a planter!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no difference between a wildflower and a weed except how you judge it. Some places those things are flowers, some places they're 'weeds'.

I personally would have been excited if I had planted them and gotten those flowers!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, both of those have been deemed to be noxious weeds because neither are natural to north america and were introduced. They are both considered invasive and if left unchecked can stragle out natural flora.

However, they are pretty.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a short hort course when in school, and our tutor told us that a weed is any plant thats growing somewhere you did not intend it to.
So if say you had a rare tulip or whatever growing in your garden so rare that it could fetch up to 1M, that you didn't plant or want where its growing. It would then be by definition a weed, regardless.

So you can take solace in that by saying they planted the "wild flowers" where they wanted them to grow, therefore they have lovely flowers.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

However, they are pretty.
if they are pretty, then are they not seen as flowers?

(that is if they are in your house, not in your yard)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, I hate this. DH and I got married Oct 05. One of the favors we had for our guests was a book mark with a pack of "wild flower" seeds with some corny saying about plant these seeds and remember our love is growing as your flowers are growing.
(hey, I was planning a wedding...it sounded romantic!).

Anyway, I had an extra planter, and planted a few packs of these stupid seeds. They are WEEDS! I KNOW this because they are identical to the "weeds" that DH is always complaining about. I feel so bad! I gave my guests weeds!

Why don't they just say "weeds" instead of "wild flowers"! So, now I have bachlor's buttons and queen anne's lace growing in a planter. God help me...I have enough of them in my yard.
Well you can now say your love is growing like a weed

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our city and state plant wildflower seeds (and prohibit mowing them down until after seeding). They look very nice in the medians & roadsides. And they are easy to maintain.

And, honestly, most of your guests probably didn't plant them anyway.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I've never heard they were weeds. I guess they're weeds if they're in your lawn, and flowers in a planter!
You are SO right there!!!!!

Trust me, our new 'jungle' garden is full of 'wild flowers' - it hasn't been touced for about a year. The difference between the weeds and the wild flowers is whether I judge them pretty enough to stay in the ground.

The weeds are the ones that get pulled up - the 'wild flowers' get to stay!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

To me, weeds are... oh, dandelions or milkweed. But Queen Anne's Lace, Black-eyed Susans, Indian Paintbrush, Buttercups, Winecups, Lupine -- these are gorgeous wildflowers! I'm sure your guests are delighted...

I so would've have loved being a guest at your wedding! Then you would've given me flower seeds that are hard to kill.
Plus I love those wildflowers!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I so would've have loved being a guest at your wedding! Then you would've given me flower seeds that are hard to kill.
Plus I love those wildflowers!!
PM me your address and I'll send you a bunch! I still have over 100 packets that I was going to plant along our pathway, but not now. Don't get me wrong, I like those flowers too...but they look sort of silly growing in a planter! Especially since the flowers in my other planters (petunias, gardenias, marigolds, etc) aren't doing so hot. It's like "hey, at least she can grow weeds!" Why is it weeds thrive when everything else I touch dies???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, has anyone else ever picked Queen Anne's Lace and put it in a vase with colored water to watch the blooms turn different colors? I remember doing that as a kid, and I'm getting an urge to do it again!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's pretty cool that you can get packets of them....i only see them on my lawn. i can't get them to grow where i want them!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Dandelions are pretty too, but they're weeds. So is purple strife.
Some guy my Dad works with isn't from Upstate NY (where my Dad is). Dad was telling me that this guy kept telling him how he couldn't get over the pretty yellow flowers everyone was growing in their yards....yep....dandelions!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most wildflower mixes contain Queen Annes Lace. I know this only because I'm terribly allergic to it, and once planted a "wildflower mix" outside my door.
Poor DH spent the summer pulling it up, because I can't touch it without breaking out in hives.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it really depends on who you ask. Lots of people would consider those to be "wild flowers" but there are others who would consider them to be weeds.