Super amazing update on Ryu!!! (a bit long but worth reading)

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off yes his name has been chosen and its Ryu. Ginger was the lead name but yesterday I noticed another member has a cat with the same name. My wife only called him Ginger when talking to me, she never actually called it to him, so he won't know he has had a name change.

Ryu has been with e for 1 week now and he looks like a completely different kitten. His fur is growing back under his chin, up and around his ears and even his cute wee nose has got fur growing back. Thats such a huge improvement.
He has one last pill to take for his flu, which has completely gone, theres no more sneezing.

Neko is still very unhappy, 3 or 4 days after the introduction, he is still hissing and spitting. Yesterday Ryu was walking past Neko and was belted on the head. I have no idea why he is not taking to Ryu. It only took a few days for hi to take to Diego.

Now when it comes to Diego and Ryu, thats a complete different story. 4-5 days after their first introduction, the play together, after day 2 they sleep together in the same room, without making a racket and keeping us up all night, and now, wait for it.................................................They eat together out of the same bowl. No your eyes haven't played a trick on you, they eat together

Diego and Neko never eat together, nor do they sleep in the same room. Diego doesn't even give 2 hoots about Neko anymore other than when Neko coes up and annoys him, so they start playing. Then about 2 minutes later Neko is out of breath and cranky, Diego will go to walk away, then Neko tackles him again even though he became cranky.

You all want to know if we will be keeping Ryu? that is still uncertain at the moment but, I am working very hard on that. I said yesterday, now that Diego and Ryu play and sleep together, we can't separate them or Diego will cry for ever. My wife had told me she is scared of cockroaches, and it wasn't until lastnight that I found out just how terrified she really is. And this morning, she woke me up at the last minute to put the rubbish bag out, and I asked why she didn't do it? "coz the cockroach is in there" even though its dead she hates it.
So I said that I want a reward for saving her from the cockroaches when they come in the house. "I want to keep Ryu"
I think she is actually mulling it over in her head but won't admit as much.
My next mode, is to get her to pet Ryu so that she realizes hat an angel he is, falls in love and lets me keep him.

No I'm not evil for using her fear of cockroaches against her, you all love Ryu too, so I reckon theres not 1 of you that wouldn't use whatever tactics necessary to keep him

Picture time:

This is the very first pic before I caught him, its not very clear but you can see, he wasn't looking too flash. He's lying on someones scooter.

We have gone from this.

And this.

To this in just 4 or 5 days.

Awww it makes me so happy to own the precious babies

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing--he looks so skinny! Seems like you're fattening up pretty good, though!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love his color and markings!

Your doing a wonderful job with him! I hope Neko comes around soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Poor thing--he looks so skinny! Seems like you're fattening up pretty good, though!
I'm doing my best, he was eating 4 meals a day but now he seems to have cut down on his own to just 2, I leave him extra in case he wants to graze during the day. I want him to be a solid boy.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

He looks good! I like the yellow collar, too!
That ribbon was actually put on Diego by the pet shop when we bought him. It really did not suit him, but it does Ryu.

Originally Posted by mschauer

I love his color and markings!

Your doing a wonderful job with him! I hope Neko comes around soon.
Neko and Ryu have been given a bit too much space (the whole house) so I'm going to confine them to a smaller room with close supervision today. Right after they have both been bathed. I tried gettin Neko and Diego's scent on Ryu but that didn't seem to have any effect, so if they are both washed, I hope with them smelling the same it will make a difference.

Well thats the theory anyway.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once he has a name that matches your other kitties, he's not going anywhere

Sounds as though your wife hasn't said no outright, so that's good!! He certainly seems like such a nice boy, and it's great he's settled in so well with Diego!

Has he settled down again after getting frightened the other day?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Once he has a name that matches your other kitties, he's not going anywhere

Sounds as though your wife hasn't said no outright, so that's good!! He certainly seems like such a nice boy, and it's great he's settled in so well with Diego!

Has he settled down again after getting frightened the other day?
Oh no she has definitely said no several times, the most recent about 20mins ago, but I'm not going to give in yet. No that he's pretty much 100% again, we haven't discussed when we will advertise him, so the longer I can put that off, the longer I can get her to fall in love with him.

No he hasn't settled down. I wonder if he just doesn't like so much attention anymore?? I noticed he runs away from me alot. More than he runs away from my wife. All I ever want to do when I go toward him is pat, cuddle and kiss him, but now he runs and hides. Other than that I can't think of any other explanation.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it sounds like everything is getting much better in diego and ryu land. as for neko - all the stuff you've explained sounds completely normal and really not that bad. A couple of bats, fights and hisses is good stuff! If he was ripping their fur out and drawing blood, then not so good. Neko will come around,

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got some other interesting news, which you won't believe. After I showered Ryu today he has returned to his super friendly self. Cuddling, purring and best of all smooching.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

I've got some other interesting news, which you won't believe. After I showered Ryu today he has returned to his super friendly self. Cuddling, purring and best of all smooching.
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he was embarrassed because he thought he smelt yucky?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he was embarrassed because he thought he smelt yucky?
Never know. Maybe he thought coz I shower everyday he should too. Oh I just can't express how easy and wonderful it is to shower him,
I haven't really ran into many problems bathing or showering kittens and cats. Ryu though he actually came up to me when we were in the shower, I was getting the water to a correct temperature, and he was like "hurry up, whats taking so long".
I wish I could do it everyday.

I've heard Turkish Vans are the true water lovers, but I think some other exceptions can be made.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...Ryu's such a little cutie! I don't blame you at all for using any tactics necessary to get to keep him. But keep in mind that I lied and told DH that fur was the gift you were supposed to give for a first wedding anniversary in order to get Forest (he knows I only like fur when it's still breathing). So I may not be the resident expert on ethics.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awww.... he's such a sweetie. You and your wife are so good to care for this little guy.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

i'm getting the urge to bathe stoli......
Why don't you? its fun bathing cats
when necessary.
I only bathed Neko and Ryu so they will smell the same. Thought it might help to make them get along. Then Diego decided he would lay on the toilet floor so I decided he needed a shower too
I'm not going to kiss a cat thats been lying on the toilet floor thats for sure.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Diego and Ryu look so precious together! How could she want to rehome him when Diego has obviously made such a best friend!
I am wanting to bathe our kitten so he's used to it and maybe soften up his fur a bit (I dont know if it works like human hair or not though, that was just an assumption). After reading your success I'll have to try it! We already have to be careful because Tsar likes to stand in the bathtub and drink any water that may be in it! LOL

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brittany

Diego and Ryu look so precious together! How could she want to rehome him when Diego has obviously made such a best friend!
I am wanting to bathe our kitten so he's used to it and maybe soften up his fur a bit (I dont know if it works like human hair or not though, that was just an assumption). After reading your success I'll have to try it! We already have to be careful because Tsar likes to stand in the bathtub and drink any water that may be in it! LOL
I sometimes use conditioner to make the fur soft and plush.
Neko licks the soap off his fur while I'm washing him, I think its just a cat thing.
Do you have a shower? I prefer that to a bath, they seem much more relaxed using a shower than a bath, that way also theres not much water for them to drink.