Darned computer!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At about 8 AM, my computer went PFFFFT. I had a pretty good idea, what the problem was but, I can't fix things, myself. The only repair place, open on Sunday, is CompUSA and they didn't open until 11.

I was there, when they opened the doors and it took 20 minutes, for the kid behind the service counter to fill out the paperwork
I got a call, around 3 and I was right in my diagnosis - I'd blown yet another power supply and a fan (happens every couple of years).

It took 30 minutes, to get me checked out and on my way. Got home and in 5 minutes, I was hooked back up and online. When I get ready to buy a new computer, I don't think I'm going there - I'd probably need to pack a lunch and a sleeping bag.

Being without my computer, all day, was a pain. I DID get some chores done and had a nice nap, though.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is not normal, are they using cheap one?
nevermind, really that does not sound right at all.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, it could happen. Dust bunnies, cat hair that is never cleaned out could shorten the life the power supply. Also, the power in the house is not clean, without a AVR UPS, it could blow with a minor spike. Or, as stated by Theimp98, they use cheap ones and they often do use their own brand.

Hey, at least your motherboard is not fried. Now, THAT is the good news. However, always remember to back up.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like they are putting in really cheap power supplies.

When you buy a PSU (or choose the one they install for you), look at the side of the unit. There is usually a label with a list of the power the PSU can safely provide to your system. In this list the important number (that actually tells you whether the PSU is good or bad quality) is the one under the 12V column. This number should be at least 25-30A. Otherwise the PSU wont be enough to handle new display cards or fast HDDs etc.

What many people (even legitimate PC assemblers) do is try to pass off crappy PSUs to their customers by telling them that it is 400w or 500w or whatever, but in reality it is usually some no brand unit that has a very low 12V value. Since most people dont pay much attention to what PSU is going in their system, they are able to get away with it quite often too.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say the parts are cheap. I have an expensive fan and power supply. I have to change mine about every 2 years. Between the fur and playing videos games far too long, they just go.

I also heard that surges through the electical socket could wear them out too. (From an electrician not a pc expert).

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Being without my computer, all day, was a pain. I DID get some chores done and had a nice nap, though.
Isn't it amazing what can get done with the computer being out. A few weeks ago they were doing work on our power lines so I didn't have power from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm. The house somehow was clean when it finally came back on. It was magic!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... I literally abuse my computer, and I'm using the same PSU (power supply) I put in oh... some 7 years ago. The computer itself has gone through many changes and iterations, but the power hasn't changed.

Do you use a surge protector with your system? Will prevent the electrical spikes from getting to your system. Do you have sufficient circulation in your computer case? High heat will kill most computer components, and the PSU generates immense heat. If heat is your problem, then that's another can of worms you have to deal with...

Fans I could sort of understand them going out since they're a moving component, and if you use cheap sleeve bearing fans and leave the computer on 24/7, they won't likely last more than a couple years. Ball bearing fans last longer, but they're noisy.

Next time your PSU goes, just go and order or buy one yourself. They're not very complicated to install, and if you don't have the guts to do it yourself, just take the PSU you bought and tell the people at compUSA to install that specific PSU for you.

Comp USA and Best buy actually sell PSU's, very good ones too by Antec. Other companies to look for are Enermax, Tagan, PC Power & Cooling, and Sparkle. Unless you're running like 8 hard disks and dual or quad high power graphics, you generally won't need more than 400-500 watts (even that's a bit overkill for some). Should run you less than $100. High quality PSU's are more durable, reliably generate stable power at all times, and can continue to operate in extreme conditions where other PSU's will fizzle out. Cheap PSU's also cause numerous unexplainable crashes and stability issues.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
New computer today is really cheap, I think you can find one at $300 if you need for normal jobs and Internet but if you have kids who want to play games on it I'd say either buy a better computer or use DS or Playstation for this goal

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

New computer today is really cheap, I think you can find one at $300 if you need for normal jobs and Internet but if you have kids who want to play games on it I'd say either buy a better computer or use DS or Playstation for this goal
lol sure if you want junk, its it cheap. the video card alone in my pc was 600,
and just so you know, the avg age of the gamer is now, 38 years old.
game are not for kids.

but back to topic, if you are going thru that many PS the something is wrong.
at one point i had the some ps 500w for 8 years and it was in 3 differeent PC beofe it had melt down.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

but back to topic, if you are going thru that many PS the something is wrong.
at one point i had the some ps 500w for 8 years and it was in 3 differeent PC beofe it had melt down.

Well, there is some point in what you say lol

haha

but let me tell you, my mom got a computer for herself for $300 and she's very pleased with it, because she's just surfing the net or printing some docs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just use mine for surfing, storing pix and e-mail. This computer is 6 years old and all I've ever had to do is replace power supplies and fans. Since the comp does what I need it to, I can't bring myself to replace it, yet.

Maybe, after I buy a house and get all settled in, I'll upgrade.