Suggestions for a good canned food with rabbit?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding the crew mostly canned Wellness (the grain-free varieties, mainly turkey and chicken) with a bit of dry Wellness (the blue bag) for a long time now and they're doing very well on it, but I'd like to try finding a good canned food with rabbit in it, to add some variety to their diet.

Does anyone know of a good rabbit canned food that is available in the US and is grain-free (or low-grain), no soy ingredients (not even soy oil), and has no added phosphorous?

A new pet supply store opened up here recently that is supposed to have a good selection (Pet Supplies Plus), I just haven't had time to go over there and spend a day reading ingredient lists yet - just wondering if anyone here has already done this and already has the information handy...

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO added phos?? are you meaning free of bone???

Natures prarie and Wysong both make plain rabbit in a can

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NO added phos?? are you meaning free of bone???

Natures prarie and Wysong both make plain rabbit in a can
I'm not knowledgeable enough about the subject of food to ask a question properly.

I'm trying to avoid excessively high phosphorous levels in food, because my cats are old. They're healthy, but I'm trying to avoid extra strain on their kidneys because of their age.

I've noticed on some cat food ingredient labels (Natural Balance, for instance) that they add in phosphoric acid. I don't know enough about it to be sure about ingredients, just that I think older cats are supposed to watch their phosphorous intake, so seeing added phosphoric acid made me avoid that food.

If the overall phosphorous levels are reasonable, because of bone or whatever, I guess it would be fine, so long as the food is nutritionally balanced.

Perhaps you could give more feedback on that if you have time?
I know you're great on nutrition. Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes older cats with KIDNEY or Liver issues need to watch there phosphorus ...

If you can keep it with a healthy cat under .9 ... the labels often have ranges

I wouldnt avoid phosphoric acid unless it is a food above 1.0 in phos
... Calcium and magnesium also play a role... yes this sounds familiar
it is the same for cats prone to UTI issues

G

ghostuser

Would the Evangers 100% meat cans work? They're labelled for dogs, but being pure meat, I don't see why that would matter. Of course, they're not complete diets, so it'd have to just be an occasional thing for variety. I've thought about offering some to Chase when I get them for a treat for the dogs..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Would the Evangers 100% meat cans work? They're labelled for dogs, but being pure meat, I don't see why that would matter. Of course, they're not complete diets, so it'd have to just be an occasional thing for variety. I've thought about offering some to Chase when I get them for a treat for the dogs..
Thank you I remembered this one at work...

EVO and Wellness both have 95% meats labelled dog also

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I appreciate the phosphorous info and the rabbit suggestions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Suggestion .. call I will happily put up the websites and see what they show

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be great!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue with this choice will be that it has rice, but PetGuard Rabbit and Rice is one recommended as lower phos. Here are the ingredients:
Water Sufficient for Processing, Rabbit, Brown Rice, Rice Flour, Dried Egg, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Supplement, Calciferol (source of Vitamin D2), Alpha Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Inositol, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

I highly recommend your consulting this site:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canned.htm - both the updated and the older version (the older does list the petguard rabbit and rice). On the updated version, it lists several rabbit foods including wysong's au jus, and all were over 1% phos.

I also highly recommend use of this site:
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html as though it is written for cats with diabetes, it also lists the phos content, and it is a very up to date website.

hth,

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

The issue with this choice will be that it has rice, but PetGuard Rabbit and Rice is one recommended as lower phos. Here are the ingredients:
Water Sufficient for Processing, Rabbit, Brown Rice, Rice Flour, Dried Egg, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Supplement, Calciferol (source of Vitamin D2), Alpha Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Inositol, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

I highly recommend your consulting this site:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canned.htm - both the updated and the older version (the older does list the petguard rabbit and rice). On the updated version, it lists several rabbit foods including wysong's au jus, and all were over 1% phos.

I also highly recommend use of this site:
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html as though it is written for cats with diabetes, it also lists the phos content, and it is a very up to date website.

hth,
Thank you!
I'll bookmark those links and go over them - very helpful!