My neighbor's cats

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, just wanted to request some vibes for finding a home for my neighbor's two cats Come Here (female, gray/white) and Sylvester (male, black/white). He's no longer able to afford their care and has also been told by his landlord that they have to go. This whole situation has me fuming, but it's better not to go there.

These are a couple of gorgeous cats, long-haired littermates, less than two-years-old, fixed, vaccinated, etc... They've been indoor/outdoor cats their whole lives, which has had me concerned since we lived in a busy area with a lot of traffic, but so far the kitties have been fine. My neighbor has contacted some of local no-kill shelter, but has been turned away, so we're going to get them on Petfinder, make flyers, etc...

So, if you can spare any vibes for Come Here and Sly, I'd really appreciate it. My neighbor has tried to do right by these cats, but they haven't received the best care, so I'd love to find them a home where they'll be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Sending lots of vibes for these two, they sound lovely.

Where are they located?
Thanks! They really are beautiful cats. They're in Cincinnnati, Ohio. I have a lead on a possible barn home for them from one of the local rescues. It wouldn't be my first choice, but might work since they're used to being outside most of the time anyway. It will depend on whether the farm owner is willing to follow relocation guidelines and how the situation checks out. A volunteer from the rescue has offered to do a site visit with me. We'll see!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, guys, hope you don't mind, but I need to vent a bit about this situation.

I found out my neighbor has put the cats outside completely, because he has family members staying with him who has a couple of dogs and there just wasn't space for everybody in the apartment. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but how is the fair or safe for the cats.
He promised me he's continuing to feed the cats, but I heard from another neighbor that he isn't. I haven't had the chance to talk to him about this yet, so I put out food for the cats over the weekend and this morning. The male cat, Sly, came running out of the bushes as soon as he saw me and was very affectionate and seemed grateful for the food.

I really don't want these cats going to a barn situation. They deserve a loving, indoor home. I hope it's not true that my neighbor isn't feeding anymore because I'd really go off on him otherwise and don't want to do that. I need his cooperation to find these cats a home or placement in a rescue/shelter. I also feel like he needs to accept some responsibility here. These are his cats. Complicating the situation is that his landlord, who wants the cats gone, lives on the other side of me. I've always gotten along with him and his wife pretty well, but am now furious that they're forcing Mark to rehome the cats after he's had them for so long.

Please keep the vibes coming, guys, for the kitties and for me, that I can figure out the best way to handle this.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your neighbor sounds a bit strange especially he put his own cats out, but not the dogs of his friends and family staying with him?

You said he could not affort the cats so it sounds like he could not pay the extra security deposit required of him. In any case, I'm not sure how he is exonerated from having dogs there assuming the landlord has a problem with cats there. Most landlords will accept cats but not dogs. I am guessing there is more to the story and the landlord is being reasonable. Your neighbor sounds strange and irresponsible.

Anyhow I sent you a PM with a possible solution for the kitties. I think it is terrible that they are simply outside now. I would suggest that your neighbor put some of their belongings outside and make a little shelter for them until he can rehome them or follow the advice I gave you in the PM.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The whole situation is insane!!
I assume you have no avaliable foster homes for these two, either?

Tons of get a good home quick for them!!!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

Your neighbor sounds a bit strange especially he put his own cats out, but not the dogs of his friends and family staying with him?

You said he could not affort the cats so it sounds like he could not pay the extra security deposit required of him. In any case, I'm not sure how he is exonerated from having dogs there assuming the landlord has a problem with cats there. Most landlords will accept cats but not dogs. I am guessing there is more to the story and the landlord is being reasonable. Your neighbor sounds strange and irresponsible.

Anyhow I sent you a PM with a possible solution for the kitties. I think it is terrible that they are simply outside now. I would suggest that your neighbor put some of their belongings outside and make a little shelter for them until he can rehome them or follow the advice I gave you in the PM.
Got your PM. Thanks!

Strange and irresponsible are excellent words to describe my neighbor. Honestly, I'm not surprised it's come to this with his cats. After he was letting the female cat roam the neighborhood unspayed at 10-months-old last summer, I figured I'd need to keep an eye on the situation. Fortunately, he was agreeable to getting her fixed then and finally agreed to have the male fixed a few months ago.

Unfortunately, the landlord loves dogs and hates cats. He gives me grief about mine all the time, even though they're indoor only and he can only see them from the window.

So, I'm caught between two weird, unreasonable neighbors.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

The whole situation is insane!!
I assume you have no avaliable foster homes for these two, either?

Tons of get a good home quick for them!!!
Thanks, Natalie. Nope, no foster homes since I'm not currently volunteering for a particular rescue. I'm sort of "freelancing," fostering on my own when I can and getting help from several different groups. So, I'm hoping for more help with these two.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I stopped by my neighbor's apartment after work and am not sure whether to feel better about the situation or not. The dogs are gone now, so he told me he's been letting the cats back in, but they'd rather be outside. He also swears he's still feeding. Honestly, I don't completely trust him, so I'm going to keep putting food out.

I sent out a bunch of emails today to some of my rescue contacts and put out an alert for a foster home(s) for Come Here and Sly, since I don't trust my neighbor to actively try to find them a home. Sorry to be so negative, but this is based on past experience with him.

I told him they'll need to go the vet at some point and he treid to argue that it wasn't necessary and assured me they're in good health. That might very well be, but since they haven't seen a vet, aside from when they were fixed, it's a necessity before they go to a new home or rescue. I think I succeeded in convincing him of that, so we'll get them there in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the vibes, guys. This is yet another weird cat situation. Kind of reminds me of the Lucy saga.
It's the people that make cat rescue so frustrating!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh bless your heart, Eileen.
You work so hard and care so much for all of these poor babies.

You know, when I started reading this thread the "Lucy's" were the first thing that popped into my head.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending {{{{prayers and vibes}}}} that ComeHere and Sylvester find a wonderful new home together very soon, and lots of guardian angels to watch over them till then. I know that asking that they be kept together may sound like a large request to some, but, hey, if the Creator could make Grand Canyon and Half-Dome, my request doesn't seem all that much, does it??

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Oh bless your heart, Eileen.
You work so hard and care so much for all of these poor babies.

You know, when I started reading this thread the "Lucy's" were the first thing that popped into my head.
Awww, thanks. This really does remind of the "Lucy's." Crazy, huh?

Originally Posted by catsknowme

Sending {{{{prayers and vibes}}}} that ComeHere and Sylvester find a wonderful new home together very soon, and lots of guardian angels to watch over them till then. I know that asking that they be kept together may sound like a large request to some, but, hey, if the Creator could make Grand Canyon and Half-Dome, my request doesn't seem all that much, does it??
Not at all. I send lots of prayers the Creator's way regarding cat stuff and it always seems to work out one way or another. Thanks so much for your prayers!

Thought you guys might like to see pics of the kitties in question. They're fine for now. I worry about them being outside, but it's what they're used to. I'll feel a lot better once they're indoors. Another neighbor and I are feeding them and they're now on Petfinder and spread all over the local rescue network, so hopefully something will surface.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Awww, thanks. This really does remind of the "Lucy's." Crazy, huh?
It sure does.
I think they're are some really strange people living in your neighborhood

Thank God you're there to look after all these little fur butts.

They are adorable

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes, guys.

No takers yet for Sly and Come Here, but it's still early. They're fine for now, but I'm anxious to get both of them vet checked. Even though they're littermates, they're not closely bonded, so don't need to stay together. Hopefully that will help with getting them placed.

Sly and I are becoming buddies. He's waiting outside in front every morning and night when I put out fresh food and water. He's a sweet guy. Loves attention.
Come Here's been running when she seems me, but gets close if I take it slow and speak to her softly. She was very sweet when I had her inside last summer after she was spayed. She's just a little more shy than her brother.

Please keep the vibes coming for these two sweet kitties. Thanks.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great pics Eileen, they are a very handsome pair of cats
you've got my continued vibes that a home is found ASAP (and now for your fave smiley
)

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are GORGEOUS
. And yes, they are very lucky to have you to look out for them. Lots of prayers and vibes that they find their forever home..and that it's a great one this time!!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, guys, had a email when I came into work this morning from a rescue that might be able to take them. They'll need to be vet checked and tested first, which I anticipated. I emailed and called the rescue to see how they want to proceed and am waiting on a response. I can get Come Here and Sly to my vet on pretty short notice but, because they're outside, and not always around, need a little time to get them in and then figure out where to put them. My spare room, which was empty for two days, now has another kitten in it (Molly, a little rescued calico).

Anyway, please keep the vibes coming that this works out. The rescue has a great reputation and could be just what these beautiful kitties need for a second chance. Thanks!