Storing Litter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We buy big bags of pine litter and are thinking of getting this:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2025790&Ne=2

We have one these for storing their food and love it! But $20-$30 for storing litter seems steep. We like that can store up to 20 lbs & the handle for carrying is nice. Does anyone have other, less expensive (But similar in design & size) suggestions?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit different, but what about a file tote box? They come either see-thru or opaque, with snap on lids. I think it might be harder to scoop the litter out of the container you linked. We have the largest ones for dog food and I can't imagine trying to get litter out of it.
I think the file totes can be found for 10-15 dollars at an office supply store or WalMart.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you want to store the litter and not leave it in the bag? I've always just left it in the bags - see no reason you should dump it into another container.

dizzydesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to sound like such a cheapskate. I bought one of the 30lb cheap cat litters that comes ironically in a very heavy duty square plastic container at the local Wally World. Cost all of $8. Oh and the cheap cat litter? I divvied it out in heavy duty plastic bags and stowed it in the trunk of the car. I can grab one if I get stuck in snow and not haul out a whole giant bag

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's true for those in snow country. But as far as dumping it in a container you have at home for the litter boxes, I don't see the reason or point

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy cat litter in 40# boxes at local gocery store (tidy cat). I am lucky to have access to food grade plastic pails ( like 5 gallon size) with lids so I use them.
The reason I place in plastic container is last yr our septic tank backed up into basement and soaked a bag of litter I had at the time. People with sump pumps or basements prone to flooding could also use these.

Perhaps you have a favorite restaurant or bakery you could ask to see if they have the large pails with lids??

Or buy a rubbermaid tote or small garbage can???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

IThe reason I place in plastic container is last yr our septic tank backed up into basement and soaked a bag of litter I had at the time. People with sump pumps or basements prone to flooding could also use these.

Perhaps you have a favorite restaurant or bakery you could ask to see if they have the large pails with lids??

Or buy a rubbermaid tote or small garbage can???
I think we will probably just go and get a Tidy cat litter bucket and just use that, and donate the litter to a shelter.

Yes, we would like to keep it from getting wet & also the nearer you get to the end of the bag (at least w/ Pine litter) you get a fine, sand dust, which we don't want in the litter box, have no use for it. So we would like dump the litter into another container without getting the dust. Plus, if we ever had to leave in an emergency, we could just grab the buckets & go. I know to some, it might seem like a waste of money, just to store litter. But it would nice to have in a tidy container (without cat validations.. Sarah likes to chew on bags, even though it's stored in our pantry. She still can jump in there quickly & "validated" away before we can catch her & stop her.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I have the one on there that holds 15 lbs of kitty food
We buy Iams Multi Cat by the 20lb bag & are able to store most of it in the bin & keep it fresh while we're using up the stuff in the bag. We like it.

Although, I wish we had gotten the bigger one...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I use clay litter that already comes in the 40 pound air tight buckets (actually when I was in college I'd give my empty buckets to a guy that posted on freecycle - he used them to store various animal feeds on his farm - I'd just let him know when I had one & he'd pick it up)... so if you do pick up one of those just for the bucket, donating the litter from it to a shelter is a wonderful idea - you get the container and some needy cats get a place to go potty... plus I think if you donate it, it's tax deductable - not positive though

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i luck out, cause i get the Tidy Cats 35lb litter that comes in the huge hard tubs. when the litter is gone, i thow a heavy plastic bad in it, and use it for pickup of my dog. when the bag is full, tie it off and to the dumpster i go. i HATE dog doo on the lawn. never know when kids will walk though it ( the lawn,lol)

and i LOVE the tidy cats small spaces mixed with Arm & Hammer multicat. works AWESOME in my small house.

snickers80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get cat litter that comes in the tub already, and then I put the dirty litter into the tub, or pour other litter that we didn't get into a tub into it.

Sometimes you can find really good deals on plastic containers at Walmart or Target....maybe you'd be able to find some sales because its back to college season?